General Question - What do you use your server for?

• Hi there.

I have been messing around with some of my hardware, recently, as well as looking at Linux generally.

I was just wondering what other people actually use their Linux-based servers for (other than for just storage for other advices).

There might be some things that I could use mine for that I had never considered.

• I mainly use my OMV for media/TV, OMV itself is used for file sharing and storing docker things and that is configured in Portainer.

These are some of my containers and a little what they do.

TVHeadend, my OTA TV channels.

Emby, Movies/TV Shows/Photos - and Camera upload from my phone.

Plex (Some of my friends prefer it over Emby)

Wireguard (My home VPN)

Swag - Reverse proxy and certificate manager responsible for publishing some of my services to internetz.

Watchtower to keep containers up to date.

• Thanks for that - I am certainly going to have a look at some of these. All I currently run on my server is TVHeadend and a shared MYSQL Kodi database for watched/resume status.

May I ask what hardware you are running that on?

The one thing that I have never used is Docker - might have to look into the benefits of that as it seems to be very popular, now.

• I use mine for

1. Personal File Server (RAID1)

2. Plex Media Server (non-RAID, just have external backups)

3. Tautulli in Docker (via Portainer)

4. Backup (Redundant) Pi-Hole in Docker (via Portainer)

That is all at the moment.

Running on a home built i5-7500 with 16GB of RAM. OMV on a 120GB SSD.

• 1) Fully automated high volume media collecting (TV shows and Movies).

2) Streaming the above media to myself, online friends and family using Plex.

3) General purpose Linux shell box.

4) SFTP server for exchanging files.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• May I ask what hardware you are running that on?

The one thing that I have never used is Docker - might have to look into the benefits of that as it seems to be very popular, now.

Well, I don't think I run OMV like most ppl here do, I run my OMV as a VM on a Windows machine, so in Hyper-V. The reason for that is my old Workstation is the family computer used by anyone in the house for checking some websites and our common schedule and things like that, was just sitting there and was almost always on - just lacked some disks and then it was ready to be "the house server".

Most ppl I think run OMV on hardware and part of that is to get RAID and stuff like that sorted. In my case it was just more convenient to get that stuff done on the physical Windows machine then wiping it and doing it all over again...

Also, may I urge you to run OMV (and anything else for that matter) run it in a VM no matter what platform you choose to run it on, specially since you a new to this stuff - the benefit of testing/running on a VM is that you can do a checkpoint/snapshot or whatever you wanna call it BEFORE making changes you are unsure off, that way you can easily come back to a running state and keep going. I think I went trough two or three installs and multiple checkpoints before starting to grasp all of this.

And when it's time to swap out that old hardware, you will be very happy that you are running on a VM that you can just give a new home and spin up and be all done with all config : )

That being said, other users here argue that OMV IS the platform and on IT you run the VMs, I'm not to say whats the better choice I'm just letting you now how I run it and why.

So.. spin up a VM and test out OMV, you WILL fall in love <3

There are some great videos made by Technodad and DBtech (and others) to get you started with dockers, but I urge you when doing dockers to ALWAYS go for a stack config (docker-compose), harder to learn and understand, but you will thank me later.

Anyway, for the config of my VM is like this: (the physical cpu is a Intel Core i7 39030k at 3.2GHz)

4 virtual processors

8 GB RAM

OS Disk for OMV = 10 GB (only for OMV, nothing else! 5 GB used)

Docker-Disk = 50GB (only for containers and config, 7GB used)

DataDisk = 1TB (only for mediafiles as described above, 650GB used)

Transcode = 40GB (Only for transcoding in Emby/Plex and Tvheadend Timeshift)

I hope this explains a thing or two, best of luck and welcome to the community!

• This is great stuff - I feel that I have only really scratched the surface with my server and am going to some testing on a spare PC, this weekend.

I think I understand Docker/Portainer now and definitely see the benefits of using it over an install directly on OMV.

It has only ever happened once but I remember (a few years back) that I updated OMV and suddenly TVHeadend would not work anymore - I assume that Docker/Portainer would have prevented this?

• It has only ever happened once but I remember (a few years back) that I updated OMV and suddenly TVHeadend would not work anymore - I assume that Docker/Portainer would have prevented this?

Containers are more or less isolated from the host they run on, as long as docker is fine on the host so should the container be.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Pretty much an all purpose media server (Movies, Music, TV, Pictures, Books), These services are all reverse proxy'd through swag and accessible anywhere. At home, I just point Kodi at a couple of SMB shares for videos... Off my network, I use Emby. Everything else I can use a similar app on my Android phone to what i use on my Linux laptops to access my media

Downloading Torrents

Nextcloud to host my own cloud storage

General file server for backing up home clients, etc.

I have another OMV build based on an SBC that is strictly a remote backup for my home server.

Probably a few other things that I'm forgetting.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!