ionice spam in journal causing /var/log to fill up

• Hello,

I am having regular issues with /var/log getting full. Armbian dedicates 50 MB to it but it appears that the following gets written to the journal every minute:

Code
    Feb 05 11:13:01 odroidxu4 CRON[32728]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by (uid=0)
    Feb 05 11:13:01 odroidxu4 CRON[32729]: (root) CMD (for i in `pgrep "ftpd|nfsiod|smbd|afpd|cnid"` ; do ionice -c1 -p $i ; taskset -c>
    Feb 05 11:13:01 odroidxu4 CRON[32728]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root

I tried following RE: OMV systemlog full of errors / spam but it did not help, neither did replacing ~ with stop in /etc/rsyslog.d/omv-armbian.conf:

Code
    :msg, contains, "do ionice -c1" stop
    :msg, contains, "action " stop
    :msg, contains, "netsnmp_assert" stop
    :msg, contains, "Failed to initiate sched scan" stop

Do I need to restart more services than just the rsyslogd?

• I think you are on the wrong track.

Do you have a cron job running every minute? The messages says a job is executed for root, so this is not an error.

First check if you need the job that ofeten and if you really must, you can disable cron logging auth for every execution. There must be lots of articles around how to do this.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I was able to figure out that the task in question is set up in for i in /etc/cron.d/make_nas_processes_faster. I think this file must have been created when I installed OMV 4 from the image when OMV images were still being provided.

There is some background info about this here: RE: Building OMV automatically for a bunch of different ARM dev boards

So the question becomes why is the config /etc/rsyslog.d/omv-armbian.conf insufficient. Does systemd journal require more?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think this file must have been created when I installed OMV 4 from the image when OMV images were still being provided.

The install script still creates this file and the rsyslog entry - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/blob/master/install#L429 Does your rsyslog file look like what is being created by the install script? I don't have an issue with /var/log/ filling on the three armbian boards I have running.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have this in /etc/cron.d/make_nas_processes_faster:

* * * * * root for i in `pgrep "ftpd|nfsiod|smbd|afpd|cnid"` ; do ionice -c1 -p $i ; taskset -c -p 4-7 $i ; done >/dev/null 2>&1

And this in /etc/rsyslog.d/omv-armbian.conf:

:msg, contains, "do ionice -c1" stop

:msg, contains, "action " stop

:msg, contains, "netsnmp_assert" stop

:msg, contains, "Failed to initiate sched scan" stop

I replaced tildes with "stop" because rsyslog was complaining that the tilde was being deprecated:

Zitat

warning: ~ action is deprecated, consider using the 'stop' statement instead

My system does not have /usr/sbin/omv-ionice, the entire ionice command is in the cron file.

I edited the three files to match the modern install script:

Unfortunately, all it did was change what gets spammed into the journal:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Change stop to ~ and restart rsyslog.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• It does not seem to help:

• Offizieller Beitrag

And systemd should automatically rotate those logs to avoid filing /var/log.

• Offizieller Beitrag

setting ionice to run only once after boot:

You might as well remove it then.

• So it looks like omv-niceio runs every minute, resulting in three entires in the journal. As far as I can find, it doesn't seem like journald has a negative filter, unlike Rsyslog. Does this mean we either have to live with all those journal entries (3 lines per min, every minute), or make omv-ionice run less frequently?

What's the benefit of omv-ionice running every minute, instead of, say... once an hour? Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What's the benefit of omv-ionice running every minute, instead of, say... once an hour? Thanks!

It would be almost pointless if it ran every hour because new processes are constantly being spun up and they need to be nice'd.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!