UMASK for execute for Windows to SMB...

• Lo,

I've just "pointed" all my Windows machines to use my OMV share folders for home drives/download folders - and it's all working nicely, except for Downloaded executables...they download nicely, but I can't execute them from the OMV share location....a check (via Windows) of permissions and my user (as used to mount the share in Windows) is showing read & write, but not execute.

On "Shared Folders" in OMV there is no execute option.

On "ACL" in OMV it's the same, but in "Extra Options" my user has "Read/Write/Execute" ticked.
    In SMB/CIFS - "Inherit ACLs" is on, but "Inherit permissions" is off.

Via shell, the files show as owned by the right user, but the permissions appear as:

-rwxrwx---+

(no user execute shows...)

What am I overlooking?

tia :)

• Forget about the SMB/CIFS extra options.

The execute bit on a file is only relevant for the linux system that has the filesystem mounted.

Windows ACLs don't have a "execute" bit.

If windows can read it, windows can execute it.

• Forget about the SMB/CIFS extra options.

The execute bit on a file is only relevant for the linux system that has the filesystem mounted.

Theory yours, practice mine.

I had same problem, without this extra option i can copy but I cannot run exe file from SMB drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Forget about the SMB/CIFS extra options.

Do you have a reference for this? Users have repeatedly a different experience. Maybe there is a bit of information missing.

This is from samba.org:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.p…s#Making_Files_Executable

• Sorry guys, my mistake ...

I had forgotten that I'm working with ACLs which (in my case) set the x-bit.

Just created a shared folder w/o ACL, shared it via SMB and was unable to execute it from windows w/o the extra options.

Manually setting the x-bit on the file from the linux side allowed the file to be executed from the windows side.

Lesson learned ...

Cheers,

Thomas

• Thanks all - I will check/try later.

I can confirm that if I set the Linux x bit for the user it works - so whilst you might think Windows doesn't have execute, it does need it :) (and screenshots of permissions, from the Windows side, confirm "Read" is not the same as "Read and Execute" :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!