Historically grown HDD setup: Upgrade or clean install?

• Looking for advice on whether to upgrade or restart with a clean install...

The last clean install was OMV4, which I upgraded to OMV5 (the hard way) when OMV4 went EOL.

All extensions I'm using have been migrated, so I'm not worried there.

I also understood that docker and docker containers should not be an issue as they are not really touched.

I'm wondering about my disk setup though:

My system SSD and some, but not all HDDs of a RAID5 have been installed under OMV4 and are still mounted by label, not by UUID.

I also have MergerFS with 5 internal SATA HDDs and 1 external USB HDD (installed under OMV5, mounted by UUID)

I understand that I was never supposed to upgrade OMV4 -> 5. Therefore my questions:

1) Is the OMV5 -> 6 upgrade correctly handling "by-label-mounts" or not?

2) Would you recommend me upgrading or clean installing this time?

3) If the latter, is there some step-by-step guide you'd recommend to install the new system while keeping the RAID5 intact?

Any advice appreciated...

• Offizieller Beitrag

1) Is the OMV5 -> 6 upgrade correctly handling "by-label-mounts" or not?

Worked for me without issues.

2) Would you recommend me upgrading or clean installing this time?

You can try the release-upgrade, and if it fails you can still go for a fresh install.

Make sure to have a backup of your OS drive. And maybe take some screenshots to be able to restore your configuration in case something goes wrong.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!