Kernel from OMV 5.x is not upgraded after running omv-release-upgrade command

• Hello!

Did kernel should be updated during moving from latest OMV 5.x to the OMV 6.x using the command omv-release-upgrade. Mine does not, I am stuck with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64. I am trying to install the nvidia driver for transcoding in Plex using below tutorial:

but I am getting some weird problems with mismatched kernel while installing nvidia driver?

• apt update then apt dist-upgrade.

Unfortunately it does not work for me. I am still on Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64. I have attached the complete log file (sorry, it is partially in Polish, I need to change it to English...).

So new packages linux-headers-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 linux-headers-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-common linux-kbuild-5.16 should be installed but:

Code
    dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64:
    Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Some additional steps are required?

• nano /etc/apt/sources.list

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ls

Output of given commands:

As you can see (again partialy in Polish :D) above the packages linux-headers-5.10.0-13-amd64 linux-headers-5.10.0-13-common linux-kbuild-5.10 will be deleted (confirmed by user). But there is an error (?) that directory "/lib/modules/5.10.0-13-amd64" from package linux-headers-5.10.0-13-amd64 is not empty and will not be deleted.

Below is the information that packages linux-headers-5.10.0-13-common (5.10.106-1) and linux-kbuild-5.10 (5.10.120-1) are being deleted.

While performing apt dist-upgrade nothing new happens:

Code
    root@baranki:~# apt dist-upgrade
    Czytanie list pakietów... Gotowe
    Budowanie drzewa zależności... Gotowe
    Odczyt informacji o stanie... Gotowe
    Obliczanie aktualizacji... Gotowe
    0 aktualizowanych, 0 nowo instalowanych, 0 usuwanych i 0 nieaktualizowanych.

And for apt install linux-headers-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 linux-headers-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-common linux-kbuild-5.16:

system indicates, that all packages are installed. But after reboot I am still on Version 6.0.28-3 (Shaitan) Kernel Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64:

Other question is why I don't have a menu entry Kernel in my System settings?

Edit:

I have fixed my Plugins issue (not displayed on the list), installed Kernel plugin and as you can see new kernel is also not available from here:

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of: sudo update-grub

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you change your boot drive? It looks like grub is not looking at the right drive.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

• Did you change your boot drive? It looks like grub is not looking at the right drive.

Not intentialy. Last day I messed up my grub, as far as I remember with some of the update command. There was a blue screen where I need to choose proper boot device and I've choosen the whole drive with my OMV partition (there was also the partition available to choose). From this time I was unable to boot properly to the system (grub rescue). I have managed to resolve this issue using below tutorial:

https://askubuntu.com/question…fter-ubuntu-19-10-upgrade

(the second answer in this thread, author yorch).

Some time ago I have moved my OMV system from HDD to SSD, the whole system drive (3 partitions).

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to set your grub drive and /boot drive back to the same drive. This might involve changing the bios to boot from the proper drive.

• You need to set your grub drive and /boot drive back to the same drive. This might involve changing the bios to boot from the proper drive.

So linked tutorial did not do the job?

My system boots without problems from this time.

My boot drive was sda, with one partition for OMV system, second for OMV backups and third for Docker containers & configurations.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is the proper procedure from a rescue disk. If your system is booted, you can just run grub-install /dev/sdX then update-grub. Is /dev/sda the correct drive though? Is /boot on /dev/sda?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of:

ls -al /boot

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

sudo update-grub

• That is the proper procedure from a rescue disk. If your system is booted, you can just run grub-install /dev/sdX then update-grub. Is /dev/sda the correct drive though? Is /boot on /dev/sda?

Does not help. Still the same results.

What is the output of:

ls -al /boot

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

sudo update-grub

Code
    root@baranki:~# sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    Code
    root@baranki:~# sudo update-grub
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    done
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Does not help. Still the same results.

Look at the contents of your /boot. grub is doing exactly what it should. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep linux-image

• Look at the contents of your /boot. grub is doing exactly what it should. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep linux-image

Code
    root@baranki:~# dpkg -l | grep linux-image
    ic  linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-amd64     5.10.46-4~bpo10+1              amd64        Linux 5.10 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
    ii  linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64     5.10.70-1~bpo10+1              amd64        Linux 5.10 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
    ic  linux-image-amd64                    5.10.70-1~bpo10+1              amd64        Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
    • Offizieller Beitrag

ok. The older one is not in fully installed. But you don't really want it anyway. What is the output of:

apt-cache policy linux-image-amd64

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!