Can't create shared folder on USB drive

• Hi all.

I'm I've connected my USB drive (formatted as NTFS) to by system.

I can mount the drive in the GUI (I've seen that mounting from the command line can cause issues).

When I go to create a shared folder using the GUI, my USB drive doesn't appear in the list of devices.

Am I doing something wrong?

Below is the output from my fstab. the device in question is /dev/disk/by-uuid/5848A60B225D9CB1

• If I understand you correctly, you want to share a folder from the drive on which OMV is installed. This is not allowed by default but you can do it by installing the "openmediavault-sharerootfs" plugin. Then the drive should appear as a choice.

• If I understand you correctly, you want to share a folder from the drive on which OMV is installed. This is not allowed by default but you can do it by installing the "openmediavault-sharerootfs" plugin. Then the drive should appear as a choice.

Thanks for the response. Afraid that's not what I'm looking to do.

I have an external USB drive that is just for storage. I want to create a shared folder on that external drive. Hope that makes sense.

• Ok, in this case, it should be relatively straight forward.

First, you must be sure that the drive is detected in the disks menu in OMV. You may have to hit the refresh button and maybe even reboot, if at all possible.

Then you must mount the file system on that drive in the corresponding menu. Then you can use it for a shared folder. Remember for sharing it, you must create a Shared Folder as well as an SMB or NFS share using the Shared Folder.

• NTFS is only recommended for first time copy to NAS, if you want to use an external USB disk , better to format it like ext4, to avoid problems like you have.

Other way is to plug the disk on your windows PC, and copy data by SMB, and share it on your windows PC.

• NTFS is only recommended for first time copy to NAS, if you want to use an external USB disk , better to format it like ext4, to avoid problems like you have.

Other way is to plug the disk on your windows PC, and copy data by SMB, and share it on your windows PC.

I originally used ext4, but got the exact same issue.

I worked around it by using the rsync command over SSH, but that's a once off sync, where as I'm hoping to set it up to do scheduled syncs in future.

• Ok, in this case, it should be relatively straight forward.

First, you must be sure that the drive is detected in the disks menu in OMV. You may have to hit the refresh button and maybe even reboot, if at all possible.

Then you must mount the file system on that drive in the corresponding menu. Then you can use it for a shared folder. Remember for sharing it, you must create a Shared Folder as well as an SMB or NFS share using the Shared Folder.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm with the steps you listed except the one to set up the shared folder. When I go to the device drop down, my external USB isn't present.

I've previously set up shared drives on internal drive like you described, and have never had an issue.

• Can you show a screen shot of the file systems screen?

As a bad workaround, you can install the sharerootfs plugin and share the directory /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-5848A60B225D9CB1 if you only need the shared folder temporarily.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Can you show a screen shot of the file systems screen?

As a bad workaround, you can install the sharerootfs plugin and share the directory /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-5848A60B225D9CB1 if you only need the shared folder temporarily.

Sorry about the delay Zoki. I was away for a little. Please see the image attached.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!