Cannot get Raid 5 to work in OMV6

• Hi,

I'm trying to get a Raid 5 setup of 5x 3TB WD Red drives in a HP Proliant N40L.

I have got the drives in, the system and OMV can all see the drives.

I go into 'Disks' and it correctly shows me all drives.

I did a quick 'Wipe' on each drive then went to Software Raid and created a new software raid 5 using all 5 drives.

Now I go into 'File Systems' and choose 'create' and there is nothing showing in the drop down list for 'Device'.

I cancel, go back in and choose 'Mount' and it shows me my new Raid 5 (at this point I have not selected any step for creating a file system, have only created the Raid 5 step).

I mount it and save and then end up with the below:

No information at all available about the mount, I cannot see it on any other screen to use it - basically it is supposedly mounted yet doesn't seem to be as per anywhere else in the system.

Unsure what I am missing or doing wrong so appreciate any pointers.

I have deleted the raid, wiped the disks and tried again and I'm again in same position.

Thanks

• Also, just to add - after I create the Raid 5 (software), the drive shows up supposedly as EXT4 in the "File Systems" if I try to mount it despite the fact I have at no point tried to create a file system after telling it to make the Raid 5.

• Hello everybody, I have the same problem or a very very similiar one, but with 3 disks (Raid5). Not sure if continue here or open a new discussion.
    I Installed a new OMV 6 (so everything should be clean) I used the wipe function (quick) on all the 3 disks (WD Red Plus 3TB) and i Created a RAID 5 (10 hours aprox)
    then If I go to FileSystem menu, i Can't create a File System because there is no a device showed...
    instead I select mount file systems, I can see an EXT4 filesystem on my RAID 5 disk...(never created by me) and I can try to mount it, but after the apply, I get a red window with an error...
    I think the important part is : mount(2) system call failed: Structure needs cleaning
    not sure if this last part is the same of NILA.

I tried to run a fsck /dev/md0
    And after a lot of fix, I was able to mount the file system...but...surprise the size was changed to one disk (2.73 TB)
    If can help the previous configuration (but note that I re-installed OMV) was a Mirror 1 Raid with EXT4 and 2 disks, so maybe some information is still inside the 2 disks?
    NILA also in your case previously there was a RAID configuration on some of your disks?

• Offizieller Beitrag

nila  Endar as both your issues appear to be the same the quick wipe has not removed signatures/metadata/file system information from the drives as I'm guessing each of you are repurposing the drives -> nothing wrong with that.

But in some instances a secure wipe on each drive should resolve the problem, pia, but there isn't any other option

• nila  Endar as both your issues appear to be the same the quick wipe has not removed signatures/metadata/file system information from the drives as I'm guessing each of you are repurposing the drives -> nothing wrong with that.

But in some instances a secure wipe on each drive should resolve the problem, pia, but there isn't any other option

Thank you!
    It worked after a secure wipe...
    to be honest, just to make a quick test, I just launched for each disk a secure wipe and aborted it after 1%(hoping that enough information are really deleted), and doing after a quick wipe .
    and was possible to select the array disk for file system creation, and then was possible to mount it, succesfully.
    probably the system was looking at the new RAID that I want to create, as an old RAID to restore..or something similar..

• wipefs is the answer and FAR quicker solution and takes seconds.

I had done this using the 'full wipe' on each disk after destroying the Raid and it worked (although took ages as it had to re-create the RAID then do FS after so took forever).

I'd then been playing with other RAID setups and again ran into the same issue and was unable to create filesystem and it would not mount.

I did the single line above, took 1s and then the GUI worked perfectly allowing me to create the file system perfectly after.

Might I suggest as a feedback - as this seems to happen a few times (at least so far in experience by me) - maybe automatically call this as an automatic step after the Raid creation completes to ensure it's clean?

Or give an option for it in the GUI under the filesystem management so that people can do this from the GUI if having problems?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!