Change Motherboard from Intel CPU to AMD - best approach ?

• Guys,

I have a running OMV6.

The system is an Intel i3 on an old ASUS motherboard.

I am planning on replacing that with a newer board - ASUS B550m (i need the extra PCIe slot for 10G ethernet) with AMD Ryzen 5

The system boots off a dedicated SSD - all important data is stored on a RAID1 seperate disk set

I intend to image the current SSD before doing the upgrade - but do not believe it will be able to reconfigure the kernel etc on the fly to recognize the new hardware (may be lucky)

Assuming it does not boot - is my best bet to reinstall OMV from a USB key and then restore a backup for the actual config of shares, users etc ?

If so which backup method/plug in etc is the best for this scenario ?

Craig

• I wouldn't expect any major problems when going from an Intel to AMD CPU as OMV for AMD64 is meant for both platforms.

In all likelihood you will have to make an adjustment for the different NIC. That is best handled by running omv-firstaid in a root shell once booted.

As for a "restore a backup for the actual config of shares, users etc" into a fresh from scratch install of OMV there is no such possibility. You will have to do all the configuration again from scratch in the GUI.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope all that is needed is a NIC correction.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Aaah bugger - thanks for the quick response.

I was hoping that the backup would handle it all (if i had to fall back on it)

Guess i will get it back here and tear into it and see how i go - will report back - thanks

Is there any way to do a dump of the current config in some form of text format so i could go through a reconstruct if i have to - or are a series of screenshots as good as it is going to get ?

Craig

• Just an update to close this one off.

Went from an old ASUS M81 motherboard with a Intel Core i3 chip to a new ASUS 450M TUF gaming board with an AMD 3200G

The system went straight across and booted up with no issues - i did have to have console access to run

omv-firstaid

to enable it to recognize the new network adapter and assign the same static IP address to it and then all was well

Thanks for the help on this one guys

Craig

• macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • macom

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!