super high page cache in omv5 intalled in proxmox

• I have been using omv5 for 2 years and a few weeks ago I installed my proxmox server and the first thing I installed was omv5 in a vm with 2gb of ram and I began to notice that the ram memory of my vm with proxmox OMV rose to 'heaven' every time I transferred data to my omv and it stays up without going down until I restarted the omv, this has seemed very strange to me and that is why I decided to increase the ram memory from 2 to 3gb but when making a transfer the use of the graph memory ram went up again in my proxmox up to more than 90% without going down until just restarting the omv.

however when i open my omv it is seen that it is not using that amount of ram

but when viewing the dashboard data it is seen that there is excessive use of the page cache

the use of ram memory is also seen when doing an htop or top

This is the first time that it has happened to me, never before the use of ram memory had been so high and if it became high it would immediately go down once the transfer processes were finished.

do you have any idea about that?

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    𝗦𝗲𝗿𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗢𝗠𝗩5 (Debian 10 Buster):
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    Ram: 8gb,
    Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.12-amd64
    OMV: 5.x Usul
    Docker: 5.x~debian-buster
    Portainer: 2.11.1
    Containers: Heimdall, Duplicati, qBitorrent, Scrutinity, Smokeping, Speedtest, Node-Exporter, Prometheus, Cadvisor, Grafana
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb
    partition sda5 swap = 4gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb
  • The idea of page cache is to use free ram space for caching as long as it is not needed elsewhere. That is why your mem usage is considered 14% while still being full of page cache. Everything fine. It is a feature. 😉

• The idea of page cache is to use free ram space for caching as long as it is not needed elsewhere. That is why your mem usage is considered 14% while still being full of page cache. Everything fine. It is a feature. 😉

aaah! really? i never seen this before thas why i was worried... so could i down the mem to 2gb again with no problem?

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    Containers: Heimdall, Duplicati, qBitorrent, Scrutinity, Smokeping, Speedtest, Node-Exporter, Prometheus, Cadvisor, Grafana
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb
    • Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

so could i down the mem to 2gb again with no problem?

Yes but if your transfers get slower, it might be due to less filesystem cache.

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes but if your transfers get slower, it might be due to less filesystem cache.

thanks I think I have understood a little better the use of ram in linux

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb
  • Did you check the box for "Ballooning Device" on the vm > hardware > memory under advanced?

You might also want to install qemu-guest-agent. apt install qemu-guest-agent

yes, I chose 'ballooning device'
    but I don't know what it is for or how that quemu-guest-agent could help me... I'll try to find what that is

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb
  • hi

now im upgrade to OMV6 and I still maintain the same situation..

Last week I made another vm with OMV6 with 2gb ram again but I see that this cache memory situation is not like that, it behaves as it normally does, which is 'normal' at least from what I'm used to seeing always;

i know that here toldme before that cache memory was good but... with all the time that has passed and now with the new installations that I have done I see that contrary to that, and I would like to know if anyone else has had this happen to him or is this happening?

MAINROUTER:
    Raspberry PI 4 - OpenWRT
    Optiplex 7010
    CPU:
    Intel Core i3-3225
    disk 1 - SSD 128gb
    partition sda1 / = 10gb

disk 2 HDD 4tb

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!