docker not working since omv-upgrade

• It doesn't help that your system still is running the backports Debian 10/OMV 5.x kernel but I would try moving apparmor=0 to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" line in /etc/default/grub and run sudo update-grub again.

I have already tried that, same result.

How do I fix the issue of still running the backports Debian 10 kernel?
    Backports is checked in OMV-Extras->Settings, that is not something I checked on purpose.
    Is it as simple as that, I just don't want to cause a boot issue, as I am not on same site as machine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have already tried that, same result.

Are you sure that grub is writing to correct drive? Installing another kernel would show if that was the case.

How do I fix the issue of still running the backports Debian 10 kernel?
    Backports is checked in OMV-Extras->Settings, that is not something I checked on purpose.
    Is it as simple as that, I just don't want to cause a boot issue, as I am not on same site as machine.

What is the output of:

sudo omv-salt deploy run apt

sudo omv-aptclean

apt-cache policy linux-image-amd64

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Pretty much this. I always use the Debian mini installer and then the omv-extras script.. and completely skated by on this issue.

The strange thing is, I didn't have to install apparmor-utils... it's still not installed on my system (although apparmor is) and everything is fine.

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# dpkg -l | grep apparmor
    ii  apparmor                             2.13.6-10                      amd64        user-space parser utility for AppArmor
    ii  libapparmor1:amd64                   2.13.6-10                      amd64        changehat AppArmor library
    root@openmediavault:~# 
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I have never had an upgrade that I couldn't fix IF omv-release-upgrade failed.

I only upgraded once.. I think it was from either 2-3 or 3-4. It went smooth. Honestly, I've always been a clean install kind of guy (even on my Linux clients)... so I always clean install as well.

With OMV, I have it down pretty close to a science and can be from blank disk to back where I was before I started, containers up and running, etc. in less than 45min.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With OMV, I have it down pretty close to a science and can be from blank disk to back where I was before I started, containers up and running, etc. in less than 45min.

Most of my installs are fresh. When I am testing things, it is always a fresh install. My primary plugin dev VM is always a fresh install as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

I only have one boot drive, and 2 data drives running mergerfs, so I think I am sure.

If you have more than one drive, it is always possible grub is being updated on one of the others.

The output looks good. i would install linux-image-amd64 and post the output. If it looks like grub is updating correctly, it will be up to you to decide if you want to boot the new kernel. You can pick a different kernel to boot in the kernel plugin.

• . i would install linux-image-amd64 and post the output.

sudo apt install linux-image-amd64

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is a good sign. Curious though why you don't have grub-pc installed. Is your system bios or uefi?

• That is a good sign. Curious though why you don't have grub-pc installed. Is your system bios or uefi?

Pretty sure system is UEFI capable, but using system bios.

I installed the kernel plugin, and the default was showing as Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.5-amd64, although

also if I run

awk -F\' '/menuentry / {print $2}' /boot/grub/grub.cfg I get the following, these match what shows in kernel plugin.

These do not exist in /boot/ and the 6.0 I just installed is not shown.

Also, the ones marked as removable, do nothing and still show in list.

Code
    Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.15-amd64
    Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.15-amd64 (recovery mode)
    Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64 (recovery mode)
    Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.5-amd64
    Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.5-amd64 (recovery mode)
    Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (recovery mode)
    • Offizieller Beitrag

that makes me think it is writing grub stuff to the wrong location.

I would install grub-pc and see if update-grub works better.

• that makes me think it is writing grub stuff to the wrong location.

I would install grub-pc and see if update-grub works better.

Now I think it can't find any kernels, so I did not reboot after running these.

Kernel plugin just shows memtest now as well.

sudo apt install grub-pc

sudo update-grub

Code
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Found memtest86+ multiboot image: /boot/memtest86+_multiboot.bin
    done
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Your system has a weird mix of old and new grub packages. I wouldn't reboot right now either if you don't have access to the system.

I would reinstall grub with grub-install /dev/sdX (don't know what your boot drive is). Then I would try update-grub again.

• Your system has a weird mix of old and new grub packages. I wouldn't reboot right now either if you don't have access to the system.

I would reinstall grub with grub-install /dev/sdX (don't know what your boot drive is). Then I would try update-grub again.

Still doesn't find any kernels.

sudo grub-install /dev/sdc

Code
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    Installation finished. No error reported.

sudo update-grub

Code
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Found memtest86+ multiboot image: /boot/memtest86+_multiboot.bin
    done

EDIT

I ran a apt --purge remove grub-pc grub-comon grub-legacy, re-installed grub-pc and now all is working.

Thanks for all your help.

• *** This is for amd64 and i386 only ***

Here is the solution to disable apparmor on the system and it worked on my test system (not harmful since apparmor package is not installed):

Code
    sudo mkdir -p /etc/default/grub.d
    echo 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT apparmor=0"' | sudo tee /etc/default/grub.d/apparmor.cfg
    sudo update-grub
    sudo reboot

Taken from: https://wiki.debian.org/AppArmor/HowToUse#Disable_AppArmor

Thank you! This worked for me too.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does this make the workaround unnecessary now? Or do we still need to manually update GRUB?

I doubt it for systems that don't have apparmor installed. I don't see any notes about changing how docker detects apparmor status. Let me test though. It should mean people with apparmor already installed won't need to install apparmor-utils.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With the new package, the grub fix is still looks like it is needed since docker detects apparmor. I will keep testing though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!