Scheduled Reboot, did not reboot.

• Maybe you can answer this... Why does it take like 10 minutes for OMV to reboot due to my VM's? line after line counting down closing my VM's.

I use several VM's and that is exactly why. Debian/OMV will try to gracefully shut down any running KVM VM's to try to avoid corruption of the VM's. They are pretty resilliant anyway, but just like it's better to execute a shutdown on the hardware, rather than pulling the plug out of the wall, it's better to have them shut down gracefully.

The more light weight the VM is, the faster it will shut down. A small linux server vm will go down pretty quick, but a windows VM could take a minute or so, particularly if there are running softwares in it that need to close too.

You could potentially speed that process up a little by moving things like your pihole I helped you set up to an lxc instead of a vm (just use a macvtap as the network connection to make it appear as a LAN ip address), since you are only using it for local DNS, but anything that is web accessible is better in a VM for the increased isolation. Any windows VM's can of course also be set to manual start up and shutdown when your are finished with them if you don't have a need for them to be running continuously.

• Ahhh interesting. That does make sense… going through the power down will do the correct procedure to shutting things off safely rather than sudden power kill. I can live with that.

As you said, you helped me install PiHole for local DNS but being it is indeed also an adware blocker I suppose I need it on a system that is not being shut down. I will have to go through everything and see what servers I need up and what I don’t; the ones I keep up 24/7 (such as the Opnsense cause it’s my router) maybe I’ll add PiHole to that. Either way, I get your point.

Thank you

• Ahhh interesting. That does make sense… going through the power down will do the correct procedure to shutting things off safely rather than sudden power kill. I can live with that.

As you said, you helped me install PiHole for local DNS but being it is indeed also an adware blocker I suppose I need it on a system that is not being shut down. I will have to go through everything and see what servers I need up and what I don’t; the ones I keep up 24/7 (such as the Opnsense cause it’s my router) maybe I’ll add PiHole to that. Either way, I get your point.

Thank you

FYI. If you only need local DNS, OPNsense has that built in, and you don’t need Pihole, but it doesn’t have the add blocking that Pihole offers

• Offizieller Beitrag

FYI. If you only need local DNS, OPNsense has that built in, and you don’t need Pihole, but it doesn’t have the add blocking that Pihole offers

ipfire has all of it and more. I dumped pihole and pfsense a long time ago and ipfire has been doing an amazing job.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I definitely currently run PiHole for Local DNS & Add Blocking so for now I’d need it as a VM, or Docker if I wanna invest the time in setting it up without conflicts (macvlan I suppose).

As far as ipfire… Man I just learned about Opnsense and spent a lot of time configuring my 6 static ips and NAT’s and ACLS and imbedding OpenVPN with my NordVPN. Don’t tell me of new different things to learn hehehe.

I’m playing…

I know Opnsense has also an Adguard (similar to PiHole?) but again I just spent time getting to know and use PiHole.

So many options. Kinda makes ya miss the day of a DSL or CABLE Modem w/ 6 port TPLink switch / WiFi and 1 PC, a gaming PC. Now it’s 4 servers, 3 switches, blah blah. I’ve sold myself to the techno devil and lost all my joy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ipfire has all of it and more

This looks very good.

Does it make sense to put this behind a Sy*****y router to take advantage of some of the features? Or is it stupid?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does it make sense to put this behind a Sy*****y router to take advantage of some of the features? Or is it stupid?

Probably not. A lot of its features I like make sense when it is primary router. I don't know how it would work as a second level router.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Probably not

Ok, thanks anyway for mentioning ipfire. It could be useful in the future, I'll leave it on my schedule. (Maybe create a mesh network...)

• It does indeed look enticing but I guess maybe because I am less advanced, I sort of like OPNsense having the built in add-ons; wireguard, openvpn, adguard, and just a lot of extras. I do know that there is a security cost for this.

I see ipfire has openvpn as well and a lot of amazing features I guess just with my setup, OPN works best for me.

BUT I will be installing it [ipfire] in a VM to play around with it.

• ipfire has all of it and more. I dumped pihole and pfsense a long time ago and ipfire has been doing an amazing job.

Was the switch easy Rye? I thinking of doing the same.

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Was the switch easy Rye?

Took me a bit to figure out where things were after using pfsense for so long but now it is worth it. ipfire upgrades are much better than pfsense. Have the ip blocklists on the router instead of pihole makes more sense to me as well.

• Took me a bit to figure out where things were after using pfsense for so long but now it is worth it. ipfire upgrades are much better than pfsense. Have the ip blocklists on the router instead of pihole makes more sense to me as well.

do you use any of the addons rye?

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you use any of the addons rye?

Nope. I don't need any. Every feature I need is already available in the base install.

• I am curious… I’ve yet to try I became happy with and “comfortable” with OPnSense… I went the way of adguard plugin onboard and then had to use opendns(?) for local DNS queries. I then told myself I didn’t wanna have all depending on one machine (firewall). What all do you have on there?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What all do you have on there?

Normal router things plus ip address blocklists (pihole), dynamic dns, and location blocklist.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!