Repair OMV installation?

• Hey, I have sadly corrupted my OMV installation I believe.

I had some issue with the smartmontools package, so I just wanted to remove and install it again, sadly I didn't expect it to remove critical OMV stuff, this is the delete log:

I figured right away that I probably screwed something, and as expected OMV failed to work afterwards.

I have managed to manually install all the deleted stuff, then when I tried to login I got an error from rpc.php, initially when opening the web page:

Code
    "Session not authenticated."
    trace
    : 
    "OMV\\HttpErrorException: Session not authenticated. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/session.inc:146\nStack trace:\n#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(81): OMV\\Session->validateAuthentication()\n#1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\\Rpc\\Proxy\\Json->handle()\n#2 {main}"
    response
    : 
    null

When I tried to login it didn't work. It started working again after I executed omv-engined -d -f

I tried to have it running automatically, but it's not working, so in order for me to actually be able to log into OMV, I need to first execute that(even with the command, the above error still shows on the login page, but after logging in I see no errors on network and everything seems to load ok.

My question is what should be the following steps? Is there any way to repair OMV? Should I completely uninstall OMV? Personally it feels like things are close to being as usual, just need to solve the rpc.php error on login page and solve the omv-engined -d -f not running automatically.

Any ideas? I don't really want to lose all my OS changes.

Thanks!

• Post the output inside a codebox of dpkg -l | grep openm

Note its a lowercase L

Code
    ii  openmediavault                       6.3.8-1                          all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-backup                6.1                              all          backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  openmediavault-flashmemory           6.2                              all          folder2ram plugin for openmediavault
    ii  openmediavault-keyring               1.0                              all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii  openmediavault-omvextrasorg          6.1.1                            all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

Thanks

• OMV is installed and on the latest version.

This is without any warranty but it won't do anymore damage than already is.

Just accept the fact that it also might not solve it.

If you want to play it safe, make a working clone of the OS drive PRIOR to try anything further.

To try to fix whatever issues are happening, you can run the install script to see if it will fix it:

sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

• Oh nice, I was actually trying to search for the answer to whether the install script deletes the data, guess I should've just looked at the github repo first thing...It will take me some time to finish things I'm currently doing with my NAS and only then I'll be able to perform the backup and run the script.

Will update, thanks! :)

• Ok, so I've ran the script again, it seems to solve the issue that required me to do omv-engined -d -f

It's now working find in terms of login and everything else around it.

I do still get the same error(status code 401) as above in the login page:

Code
    "Session not authenticated."
    trace
    : 
    "OMV\\HttpErrorException: Session not authenticated. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/session.inc:146\nStack trace:\n#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(81): OMV\\Session->validateAuthentication()\n#1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\\Rpc\\Proxy\\Json->handle()\n#2 {main}"
    response
    : 
    null

Should I care? Should it matter with anything? I'm not sure I notice any issues besides that.

Thanks.

• Should I care? Should it matter with anything? I'm not sure I notice any issues besides that.

Don't have an answer for it, sorry.

Since this is from the OMV Core, maybe votdev can give you a better info.

• So I tried to uninstall OMV and reinstall it too(apt-get purge openmediavault apt-get autoremove)

That still didn't work. I assume that removing OMV still keeps some configurations which causes some faulty settings to persist even when reinstalling.

Any ideas how can clean that without completely reinstalling the system? ( I have some other stuff installed and configured already, not things that are necessarily related)

The last option would be to backup everything and clean install raspbian but it would be quite annoying.

• So I tried to uninstall OMV and reinstall it too(apt-get purge openmediavault apt-get autoremove)

Why? With the --purge argument you simply deleted ALL configurations made on/from OMV.

This means that you will have to reconfigure everything again on OMV (the exact same thing you were trying to prevent).

Your system is in such a messed state that will be easier to just do a clean install.

Any ideas how can clean that without completely reinstalling the system? ( I have some other stuff installed and configured already, not things that are necessarily related)

With the same reply above, even if you manage to reinstall OMV to a working condition, it will be a fresh install.

You'll have to do every configuration again.

If you have a backup working clone PRIOR to that, use it and take notes (I take screenshots of the OMV pages and keep it on the PC) of the configurations.

When going for a fresh-install, it's only a matter of redo it.

[P.S]

And only now, I see you're on RaspiOS:

The last option would be to backup everything and clean install raspbian but it would be quite annoying.

I don't know what things you were doing outside OMV scope but it will be faster and cleaner to just start fresh.

Just avoid to install/configure things outside OMV.

If needed, docker is there to run other stuff.

• Well that's the thing, it *didn't* purge all configurations. E.g - user, settings, nginx, etc, etc, etc.

Settings up OMV is the easy part here, that's why I tried to focus on that, but with current state, I don't think there's much hope as it's too messed up.

Setting up a fresh OMV is super easy, I'm just not sure about everything else I have. I did backup all the docker images and settings etc, but I have other stuff that aren't on docker. I just hope it's really enough :p

Thanks.

• I did backup all the docker images and settings etc

As long as you have the volumes and YMLs kept safe, launching it on a different system is peanuts, ;)

Setting up a fresh OMV is super easy

Couldn't agree more.

but I have other stuff that aren't on docker.

You really should avoid to install things on host.

My (small) experience on the Pis (now a CM4) is that the more vanilla system it is, the less worries you'll have.

I just hope it's really enough

I also hope you can sort it out, :)

• So....I start to wonder whether this might actually just be a bug in OMV, and not really an issue with my setup...

I have installed a clean raspbian OS, installed OMV via the installation script(apt update/upgrade before ofc).

Went to the OMV interface, logged in, opened a new tab, navigate to OMV again and it asks for login credentials again.

Is it a bug? Was this always the behavior(I think it wasn't?), I'm starting to get real confused here.

Were there any updates recently? Could one of them caused this?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag
  • Yep, so seems like I actually managed to fix my OMV installation, just wasn't aware of this change so I thought it still wasn't fixed :p

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!