Limit width of page body to 1900px

• That's form the changelog:

• Limit width of page body to 1900px. The page content will be centered for greater browser window sizes.

It looks extremely weird, is there a option to disable this behaviour?

Backup: The duplicate copy of crucial data that no one bothered to make;

used only in the abstract

• Offizieller Beitrag

No. This is what most UIs are doing. Check Google, Heise, Golem, Stackoverflow, GitHub, your Router, this forum, … BTW, what sense does it make to max a browser window > 1920px? Many users requested that and contributed code, but my solution is better from the UX.

See also:

- RE: Simple OMV6 UI feedback

You can see some more information about the issue in the commit messages:

- https://github.com/openmediava…6fb24d59619e2847d1aabe3e5

- https://github.com/openmediava…6072ed019352ed1a987428766

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • I know you don't care much about what your users like. But still I like your project.

Google, Heise and Golem do it because it's easier to place ads in a "known" environment.

(Funny, heise is even crippled when using PUR.)

My Router is OpnSense, it uses the full width, does not decide how big my windows are allowed to be, or else render unused space.

Is it so hard to make such an important design decision optional?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it so hard to make such an important design decision optional?

Yes.

What is the advantage of a user interface that you can drag larger than 1920px so that the action buttons located on the other monitor? I see no advantage from the UX, rather a huge disadvantage with a lot of mouse movement. Reducing the mouse movement was the main argument for this improvement. A bigger page size does not mean more information can be dsplayed, at least that is the case with OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know you don't care much about what your users like.

If that were the case then i would not have taken a user's community code contribution and adjusted it for UX aspects.

Another example of wishes from the community is to enable NetBIOS from the UI. Or overwriting the MAC address in the network settings or setting the metric of a network interface. Just a few examples from recent times.

• I know you don't care much about what your users like.

I disagree with what you said.

I Suggested a dark theme on here (the forums) after been a member for only 9 days! after some back and forth we now have a dark theme.

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von BlueCoffee ()

• Is it so hard to make such an important design

Is it though? How much time do you spend in the UI? I don't think things like this matter much at all.

If the content is to float, it should to the left as the probability of the utilizing the left nav is greater than closing the page. Design for the human (only thing Jony Ive got right, at least without contest).

what sense does it make to max a browser window > 1920px?

Micha is right, why are you setting integer based limits without advertising? Why have limits at all?

But a more direct answer.... scaling. I run 32in 4k and 5k monitors in portrait with DPI scaling and things get a little cramped in CodeBlocks debugger and FireFox's or Canary's console. Admittedly, I can't see a usage in OMV currently unless you put a ton of stuff on that homepage or have extremely poor eyesight.

• Yes.

What is the advantage of a user interface that you can drag larger than 1920px so that the action buttons located on the other monitor? I see no advantage from the UX, rather a huge disadvantage with a lot of mouse movement. Reducing the mouse movement was the main argument for this improvement. A bigger page size does not mean more information can be dsplayed, at least that is the case with OMV.

What other monitor?

1920x1080 (FullHD) is a decent resolution for a mid class mobile, but neither for a notebook nor a real computer.

My main display is a 5K iMac scaled to 2880x1620. On the left and right I've got two 4K displays scaled to 3008x1692.

I use Yabai as my window manager, main display is BSP, and the only "benefit" from this upgrade is that the content now has 450 unused pixels at the left and right oft the main content.

OK, I followed the links:

Code
    Limit the width of the page content to max. 1280px. This is done to minimize scrolling with the mouse.

When do you need to scroll?

With a mobile?

Even my 8 year old 12" MacBook has 2560 x 1600 resolution.

I'm a developer, not a designer, but css has this @media stuff. If there are more px than 1920, leave the size like it is, wouldn't be that hard I guess.

I Suggest a dark theme on here (the forums) after been a member for only 9 days! after some back and forth we now have a dark theme.

Oh, that sounds nice, where do I find it?

Is it though? How much time do you spend in the UI? I don't think things like this matter much at all.

Not much more then I spend in OpnSense.

But why make something good worse with no real cause?

It was good like it was. If it was bad on displays < 1920, then change it there, not globally.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh, that sounds nice, where do I find it?

Just look in the configuration options of the web.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was good like it was. If it was bad on displays < 1920, then change it there, not globally.

I'm a developer, not a designer, but css has this @media stuff. If there are more px than 1920, leave the size like it is, wouldn't be that hard I guess.

These comments are an indication for me that you have not understood the basic problem and concerns of other users with high screen resolutions. They don't want to have to move such long distances with the mouse. If the page now uses the full width of the browser window, the paths become longer and longer at large resolutions. Besides, a huge width is of no use for most configuration pages because the input fields of the forms don't benefit from it.

We can discuss this forever or use the energy for other things. It remains as the UI is implemented now because this is a compromise for both user groups; the one who want to have the full width and the other who don't want to move the mouse kilometer by kilometer.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh, sorry, note the forum I hoped it was for OMV.

The OMV GUI also has a dark theme. Top bar -> User Settings -> Dark mode

• I'm facing the same problem. I'm with an ultrawide monitor, and i don't really care about limiting mouse movement, i'm used to get all my informations from the left to the rignt of my screen, with more visibility and the ability to display easily more informations, for exemple on the home panel. With this limitation, i feel really incomfortable with the OMV WebUI.

Could you, please, at least, leave the choice to the users, with a hidden option or smth ?

• I also don't like that the webinterface now looks so crammed (e.g. I can no longer read some tags because they are shifted) and I have some big borders left and right on my 4K screen.

As a workaround I have installed the Chrome Addon "Stylebot" and added the following custom CSS to have the full width again:

CSS
    .ng-star-inserted {
      max-width: 100% !important;
    }

But for the future I wish there will be an option for this like e.g. PiHole has.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!