Server randomly reboots without any log

• Hello,

My server restarts "randomly", looking at the logs I don't see anything strange, it doesn't seem to follow any pattern, it just "shuts down" and restarts again. I thought it was a temperature issue, because I have started using KVM, but without turning it on it turns off just the same.

At first the problem seemed to be the RAM, and when I removed a stick, it stabilized. Now after buying 2 new sticks and putting 32 GB, the problem is much worse again. But it has worked 15 days in a row and another day it restarts 5 times in 8 hours.

Sorry if it sounds broken in English, I'm using a translator.

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I'd say you're on the right track, it's probably some hardware problem. I would also check the power supply, it could be another possible cause of random reboots.

• I'd say you're on the right track, it's probably some hardware problem. I would also check the power supply, it could be another possible cause of random reboots.

uhm, okay. I can test the RAM with memtest, but the power supply has the voltage values within normal, can it be because of the ssd? because it is quite old already.

• I'd say you're on the right track, it's probably some hardware problem. I would also check the power supply, it could be another possible cause of random reboots.

Also is the machine on a UPS? Possible brown outs if not?

And checking memory with memtest is a good idea. Is OMV running on bare metal?

• Well the memtest has gone well, the PSU is almost new, sometimes it gets peak cpu usage, it may be that it reboots when it detects so much workload or that the system hangs for a few seconds? I have read something about this in other threads, but seeing as it does not leave any record in the logs it makes me curious.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just to rule out any issues with the motherboard/bios I would try testing the system with a different motherboard. If the architecture does not change, linux should recognize the hardware, you would just have to reconfigure the network interface with omv-firstaid.

• Hi

I have exactly the same problem on my server (Asrock J4105-itx motherboard) since approximately 2 months.

I even switched motherboard (Asrock Q1900dc-itx), RAM and PSU and the problem persisted with random reboots.

One thing in common with these boards is integrated ASMedia ASM1061 for 2 additional SATA ports (and Realtek Lan).

I suspect there is an issue with ASM1061 and a recent linux kernel update, but I'm still not 100% sure.

Now I'm using the Asrock J4105 again.

I disabled AS1061 in BIOS, and I disabled SMART monitoring in OMV.

No more reboot in 48h, but sometimes I had reboot every 5 days so I'm not sure it's completely fixed.

• You must like the intel J series ^^

Was there anything in the journal?

• It's a hard reboot for sure.

I switched motherboard (with same ASMedia ASM1061), RAM and power supply so they can't be the cause.

Only remaining things are:

integrated ASMedia ASM1061 on the motherboard

the 3 disks I use (1HDD an 2 SDDs, all SATA)

the 3 SATA cables

for my last test I plugged the SSD1 boot disk with OMV with a SATA>USB cable, I used his previous SATA cable for the second SSD and I disabled ASM1061 in the bios,

So now I have boot SSD1 with USB

HDD and SSD2 on native intel SATA ports.

For now no more reboots since 4 days.

That's why I strongly suspect a kernel bug with ASM1061.

• Just to rule out any issues with the motherboard/bios I would try testing the system with a different motherboard. If the architecture does not change, linux should recognize the hardware, you would just have to reconfigure the network interface with omv-firstaid.

I don't have spare parts to test that, I can buy a new power supply, but it can be working fine for 1 week and suddenly restart again, so I don't know. Thanks for the idea

• Sorry to hijack your thread but maybe it can help you I finally found the cause of my random hard reboots: it's an issue with a Samsung 850 pro SSD and SMART monitoring since OMV update 6.9.6 in november. I'll make a new thread for this problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!