My DIY NAS - Intel N100 based

• Hi,

Just to share my new build.

The purpose of this one was to have a spare NAS offsite to replicate critical data and being able to host few docker compose stack based services like NextCloud, Vaultwarden, Wireguard...

I wanted it with the smallest footprint and as quiet as possible, but with the possibility to easily extend storage capability.

After reading reading the @chente's thread "Why I chose an N100 over a Raspberry PI5", I decided to go with an Intel N100 based build.

Here is the BOM:

I sourced parts from different stores (AliExpress, Amazon, Materiel.net).

It cost me a grand total of 476,05€ (including shipping fees/taxes) which is, in my opinion, pretty fair compared to some pre-build boxes (as an example the Synology DS1522+ cost around 800€)

The box is now fully mounted, set up with OMV 6.x, and has been placed in its offsite location.

I have 2 HHD mounted for now, but have room for 3 more (hot swapable).

I'm pretty satisfied with the form factor, the noise is barely earable, the machine has enough compute power to bear with the tasks it is aimed for.

I'll will add some photos when I get a chance to go where the machine lays now ;)

Regards,

iGoX

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • ryecoaaron

• ryecoaaron

• Hi, i'm note sure that ASM1166 based M.2 NVME to SATA 3.0 Adapter will work and if ity work without problems.
    I have buy this motherboard with an Adapter SATA to Nvme (but with JMB575) and it doesn't work.
    After a lot of search I understand that we need a real SATA controller LSI card for a NAS.
    So I have sell my Asus N100l-D-D4 and buy a Asrock N100M with 2 port SATA and above all a port PCI-E 16x to add the controller card.

• but with JMB575

If using RAID, I'd guesstimate that the JMB575 would operate at 50% maximum capability during any rebuilding or indexing, but it would still work without RAID and while your RAID is passive. I wouldn't worry at all if the drives hold audio/video media.

I understand that we need a real SATA controller

You don't for SATA. It's nice to have, especially since a used 8-port card is cheap, but the SATA 3.x spec is in no way handled any differently by LSI than it is Intel.

above all a port PCI-E 16x

Almost always you can put any PCIe card in any slot. You can put a x8 into a x1 and vice versa. On a "fancier" board in your exact case, you'd want to bifurcate the x16 to 2 x8's anyways (or even 4 x4's, ie. x4x4x4x4).

• Just to share my new build.

Can you run two benchmarks on it? The throughput speed of the M.2 adapter for several drives simultaneously and the CPU crunchiness.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After a lot of search I understand that we need a real SATA controller LSI card for a NAS.

You don't actually need an LSI card. You just need to use a suitable chip.

I have buy this motherboard with an Adapter SATA to Nvme (but with JMB575) and it doesn't work.

That chip is not ideal for a NAS because it uses a port multiplier. The JMB585 chip is suitable. Or the ASM1166 as you said.

• Can you run two benchmarks on it? The throughput speed of the M.2 adapter for several drives simultaneously and the CPU crunchiness.

Hi @olduser,

I'll be glad to provide such benchmarks.

Unfortunately, I'm a total noob in the benchmark field.

I've no idea what software/tool to use to do so...

Any guidance would be more than welcome. ;)

Regards,

iGoX

• Hi Vivien69,

Hi, i'm note sure that ASM1166 based M.2 NVME to SATA 3.0 Adapter will work and if it work without problems.

I currently have 2 HHDs plugged to the ASM1166 controller (no raid here).

The box is running since beginning of Feb. without any issue.

To be honest, I don't understand much about all the chipset compatibility/capabilities and I blindly trusted chente who stated (source thread) :

Zitat

If I had not had this adapter, I would have bought a miniPCIe 3.0 x2 6-port SATA adapter with Asmedia 1166 chip. This chip does not use a port multiplier, therefore it is suitable for software Raid if necessary and the bandwidth of the connection PCIe 3.0 x2 is 1970MB/s. This adapter could be connected to the miniPCIe 3.0 x2 port (two real lanes) of the Asus board and take advantage of its full potential.

Regards,

iGoX

• I'll be glad to provide such benchmarks.

I did about a month ago in this thread. The speed of the ASM1166 was fine and would be adequate for any HDD drives. In that motherboard write up, the on-board SATA ports are slower than the ASM1166 controller but they would be fine for any 2 HDD's simultaneously. Considering that board can be had for $99-135usd, it's a very good board. Sadly, it requires a 24pin ATX power supply and not just a 4-pin 12v :-/

• I wat build whit

MOBO CWWK N100/I3 SIX-BAY NAS MONSTER BOARD/4X 2.5G/6X SATA3.0/2X M.2 NVME/115X RADIATOR ITX BOARD TYPE

CWWK N100/i3-N305 six-bay NAS monster board/4x 2.5G/6x SATA3.0/2x M.2 NVMe/115X radiator ITX board type motherboard
    Motherboard core features Inte® 12th Generation Alder Lake-N low-power processor Standard 17x 17 Mini-ITX form factor compatible with market 115x series…
    cwwk.net

-Case: Jonsbo N2

-Ram: DDR5 16 Gb

-Disk: nvm 512 Gb

-Disk: Raid 5 (3x 6 Tb Ironwolf )

-Psu: APEVIA SFX-AP400W

In beginin i not will build virtual machines, only file server, babckup emby, vpn access and pihole only for 2 people.

What worries me is that there are people on forums who say that the CPU fan in this Mobo model always works at 100% and this makes it a problem because it makes the MOBO louder. They also comment on forums that this problem with the fan cannot be solved by adjusting its value in the Bios. This problem is now solved with a new version of the Bios, thirt parts software to fan control....?

I appreciatte any suggestion. Sorry for my basic enghish

Thanks

• After a lot of search I understand that we need a real SATA controller LSI card for a NAS.

No you don't. I have used various PCI and PCIe to SATA adapters. Do a little research before you buy. From experience I can tell that you should steer clear of cards with more than 2 ports and that pretend to do some sort of raid in hardware. You need cards that are simple SATA adapters.

These I have and work:

ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02) (probably can't find it anymore it's a PCI card :) )

Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9230 PCIe 2.0 x2 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s RAID Controller (rev 11) (works but like I said 4 ports not a good idea, I haven't populated all ports)

Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3132 Serial ATA Raid II Controller (rev 01) (2 port card, works).

• Hi. I am buying components now. I have a dub. I can install my dockers on system disk if it's have enough space. I want install openmediavaul on nmve disk size 256 Gb or 1 Tb (if i can my dockers in system disk).

Best regards

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!