My DIY NAS - Intel N100 based

• Hi,

Just to share my new build.

The purpose of this one was to have a spare NAS offsite to replicate critical data and being able to host few docker compose stack based services like NextCloud, Vaultwarden, Wireguard...

I wanted it with the smallest footprint and as quiet as possible, but with the possibility to easily extend storage capability.

After reading reading the @chente's thread "Why I chose an N100 over a Raspberry PI5", I decided to go with an Intel N100 based build.

Here is the BOM:

I sourced parts from different stores (AliExpress, Amazon, Materiel.net).

It cost me a grand total of 476,05€ (including shipping fees/taxes) which is, in my opinion, pretty fair compared to some pre-build boxes (as an example the Synology DS1522+ cost around 800€)

The box is now fully mounted, set up with OMV 6.x, and has been placed in its offsite location.

I have 2 HHD mounted for now, but have room for 3 more (hot swapable).

I'm pretty satisfied with the form factor, the noise is barely earable, the machine has enough compute power to bear with the tasks it is aimed for.

I'll will add some photos when I get a chance to go where the machine lays now ;)

Regards,

iGoX

• chente

Approved the thread.
  • Hi, i'm note sure that ASM1166 based M.2 NVME to SATA 3.0 Adapter will work and if ity work without problems.
    I have buy this motherboard with an Adapter SATA to Nvme (but with JMB575) and it doesn't work.
    After a lot of search I understand that we need a real SATA controller LSI card for a NAS.
    So I have sell my Asus N100l-D-D4 and buy a Asrock N100M with 2 port SATA and above all a port PCI-E 16x to add the controller card.

• but with JMB575

If using RAID, I'd guesstimate that the JMB575 would operate at 50% maximum capability during any rebuilding or indexing, but it would still work without RAID and while your RAID is passive. I wouldn't worry at all if the drives hold audio/video media.

I understand that we need a real SATA controller

You don't for SATA. It's nice to have, especially since a used 8-port card is cheap, but the SATA 3.x spec is in no way handled any differently by LSI than it is Intel.

above all a port PCI-E 16x

Almost always you can put any PCIe card in any slot. You can put a x8 into a x1 and vice versa. On a "fancier" board in your exact case, you'd want to bifurcate the x16 to 2 x8's anyways (or even 4 x4's, ie. x4x4x4x4).

• New
    • Official Post

After a lot of search I understand that we need a real SATA controller LSI card for a NAS.

You don't actually need an LSI card. You just need to use a suitable chip.

I have buy this motherboard with an Adapter SATA to Nvme (but with JMB575) and it doesn't work.

That chip is not ideal for a NAS because it uses a port multiplier. The JMB585 chip is suitable. Or the ASM1166 as you said.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!