OMV on Synology NAS

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which model? Basically if you can get Debian installed on it, you can install OMV.

omv 7.4.8-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.5 | k8s 7.3.1-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.9

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I asked this very question about a DS223 and learned one can through SSH and in a container (DSM has container capability.) I ultimately decided not to do it because this model only has 1 Gb of ram. I don't know if the processor plays any role, as long as it has DSM I would think it should work.

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Processor Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

• Offizieller Beitrag

in a container (DSM has container capability.) I

OMV does not work in a container. 1GB of ram is not enough to run DSM and OMV anyway.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.5 | k8s 7.3.1-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.9

• OMV does not work in a container. 1GB of ram is not enough to run DSM and OMV anyway.

Interesting. I found instructions on the web to accomplish this but didn't bother because of the pitiful ram size on the DS223. Maybe one can get it loaded but it won't work.

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Processor Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interesting. I found instructions on the web to accomplish this but didn't bother because of the pitiful ram size on the DS223. Maybe one can get it loaded but it won't work.

You found a way to run it in a container? I'd love to see that.

Are you sure you didn't find how to run it in a Proxmox VM? (lot of folks do that)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interesting. I found instructions on the web to accomplish

I have seen the LXC container "instructions" but it has many problems. I haven't seen docker container instructions but it won't work properly either. OMV is made to work with real hardware.

• I asked this very question about a DS223 and learned one can through SSH and in a container (DSM has container capability.) I ultimately decided not to do it because this model only has 1 Gb of ram. I don't know if the processor plays any role, as long as it has DSM I would think it should work.

I am reluctant to try container method etc. I would rather have OMV running natively from the default boot device or maybe from a USB drive is fine too.

I currently have OMV running on a system, but it can take only 5 drives and I need more space and have more identical drives as spares that I intend to expand to an 8 drive setup .

• Offizieller Beitrag

DS1813+. I don't know if Debian can be installed on it.

While I am sure it can be done, it doesn't have a video port. So, you would have to connect to a serial console if it has one. Not sure it is worth it for a very old two core Atom cpu. A new n100 system would be much faster.

• While I am sure it can be done, it doesn't have a video port. So, you would have to connect to a serial console if it has one. Not sure it is worth it for a very old two core Atom cpu. A new n100 system would be much faster.

I don't want to jump through hoops to install OMV. If it was simple enough, I was going to do it. But based on the inputs, I am going to hold off on this effort to install OMV on the Synology NAS . I may end up building another system with 8 or 12 SATA ports and install OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!