Kubernetes on OMV7

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm currently working on a Kubernetes plugin for OMV7.

The plugin is intended to implement a single-node Kubernetes environment using SUSE K3s. The plugin comes with preinstalled Traefik, Cert-Manager and Kubernetes Dashboard.

The OMV UI contains list views for the most important resources, but it is never intended to be a replacement for other UIs such as Kubernetes Dashboard or SUSE Rancher.

It will introduce so-called recipes that are simply manifests or that are based on existing Helm charts. This should make it easier for less experienced kubernetes users to get started.

I am planning a new GitHub repository where anyone interested can contribute such recipes for all kinds of applications. The UI will then integrate these and thus simplify the installation of applications.

Here are some simple example:

Filebrowser

WeTTY

You can watch a video on the project Youtube channel to get a first impression about the plugin.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 7.x (RC1) hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Looks great!

• Offizieller Beitrag

How would k3s be updated?

If necessary, k3s is reinstalled if the file /var/lib/openmediavault/upgrade_k3s exist. I have to say i have not tested that and i count on contributions from the community to improve the plugin.

Also, is k3s pretty default so I could use networkpolicy?

See https://docs.k3s.io/networking#network-policy-controller and https://www.suse.com/c/rancher_blog/k3s-network-policy/

• I just upgraded to OMV7 from 6 and tried to install this but there is no K3s plugin, only "openmediavault-k8s 7.0-1" which fail to install. Am I missing or doing sometging wrong?

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just upgraded to OMV7 from 6 and tried to install this but there is no K3s plugin, only "openmediavault-k8s 7.0-1" which fail to install. Am I missing or doing sometging wrong?

There is openmediavault-k8s 7.0-2 out now which should fix that. As workaround simply run wget -O - https://get.k3s.io | INSTALL_K3S_SKIP_ENABLE=true sh - from CLI.

• There is out now which should fix that. As workaround simply run wget -O - https://get.k3s.io | INSTALL_K3S_SKIP_ENABLE=true sh - from CLI.

Thanks for quick response. I did run "wget......." command from CLI (I connected to OMV NAS using "rlogin" ) and did not see "Kubernetes" under Services. Same results after reboot. Any idea?

UPDATE:

openmediavault-k8s 7.0-2 just showed up in "plugins". Installed without issue. Thanks for your help. :)

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls () aus folgendem Grund: UPDATE and spelling

• Maybe the wrong place to ask but does anyone have a good link to the benefits of kubernetes over normal docker?

Former Xpenology user moved to OMV 7.x with ZFS.

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x 32GB USB - 1x 480 GB SSD - 4x 16TB Exos (Shucked) / ZFS - OMV 7.x bare metal

HP Microserver Gen7 N54L - 8GB RAM - 1x 32GB USB - 1x 240 GB SSD - 4x 4TB / ZFS - OMV 7.x bare metal

• Usually it is a whole different beast, so with simplicity in mind docker/podman ,then swarm and then k8s and it's flavors.

So, docker can be a part of k8s or not, k8s is a let's say container hypervisor.

• Hmm, i am not a docker or k8 expoert, but i try to make an recipe.

I change this docker-compose.yaml ( https://github.com/grocy/grocy…b/main/docker-compose.yml ) with kompose to k8 files.

Then I made one file and added a namespace:

Now I have two question:
    How do I configure an external port for the frontend (8081)?

How do i give app-db a path?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The load balancer is running at port 8080 and 8443. You can use them if your app supports subpaths. If not you need to create a NodePort service. In both cases a IngressRoute resource is necessary.

And for accessing the local storage, you need a PVC that requests the shared folder PV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess if you want to move the data folder to RAID shared folder or somewhere else?

But relocating that data to a different file system than root will make it necessary that the k3s service is waiting for the file system to become ready before starting the service.

I considered this when developing the plugin, but then discarded it because it means too much work and problems and this data is not important if the root file system is broken. All important data is in the etcd snapshots which are on a configurable shared folder. Everything else can be downloaded again by the system.

• Why?

I like to seperate data.
    e.G. I thought the snapshot folder is the folder for the whole k8s things, and know my / is at 98%.

I don't want to have to control which application uses how much space and can full up the whole space of e.G. /

I will do this now:

How to move k3s data to another location

But probably with the next omv version it will be resetted like it was with docker and omv7...

• By default, when using important apps, you try to always relocate somewhere not / , becuase if your root devices is full,the app keeps on working ,etc ,etc.

Edit: And since k8s is ecosystem, you try to shelter that ecosystem from others.

• I tried to install the plugin on two systems and on both, when opening the Kubernetes Dashboard, I get a error:

404 page not found.

My systems and plugin versions:

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm)

openmediavault-k8s 7.1.0-2

What can I do or where can I ask about my problem?

Thank you.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!