Docker install on fresh OMV

• Hi guys, I am rebuilding my OMV and setting up the folders again. Reading the wiki.omv-extras.org Preparing and Install Docker I came across this bullet point which seems to my little brain a bit ambiguous.

Zitat
    • As for the data folder, if you don't already have it created, you can follow the same procedure, make sure that this folder corresponds to the one you already have created in your file system, use the tree on the right in the relative path field in the GUI when creating it. Refer screenshot attachment for reference source.

My external SSD is a new drive freshly formatted to Ext4 file system. Do I simply create the “data” folder? Or is there some special reference to the “data” folder that is already available when I setup OMV? Keep in mind this is a vanilla fresh install that I am trying setup using the wiki notes.

Otherwise this bullet point is interpreted by me as “just create the “data” folder which is no different (nor special) than the creation of “docker” and “appdata” folders.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The data folder refers to the folder where you store your user data, which can be documents (for containers like filebrowser) or movies (for containers like jellyfin). If you have not yet created this folder on your server you can create it directly.

• Thanks Chente. So I created the folder directly and will procees with installing docker. Ive attached screenshot of the basic setup as per wiki info. Feel free to add picture to wiki as it may help beginners like me.

• I tried to apply the docker settings to install docker and it failed.

Might try to uninstall “openmediavault-compose” plugin and reinstall…

• plugin fails to install…

• Compose plugin successfully installed on raspberry pi. Not sure which change fixed the issue with installing the compose plugin. I had removed the address reservation on my router “client name” was slightly different and restarted router. Also restarted the rpi.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Feel free to add picture to wiki as it may help beginners like me.

Image added. Thanks for your contribution. :thumbup:

omv7:docker_in_omv [omv-extras.org]

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried to apply the docker settings to install docker and it failed.

Did you activate the docker repository in the System>omv-extras tab?

• Hello,

I too have trouble trying to configure Compose in order to activate Docker.

I'm using a freshly installed (and upgraded) OMV7 on a Raspberry Pi 4 and everything just worked fine until I got to this point.

This is the error message I get:

How can I get rid of the configure_compose_global_env_file error?

Thanks for any helpful answer.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Code
    ----------
              ID: configure_compose_global_env_file
        Function: file.managed
            Name: /srv/[diskname]/appdata/global.env
          Result: False
         Comment: Failed to change mode to 0600
         Started: 14:48:09.992428
        Duration: 354.268 ms
         Changes:
    ----------

You have edited the uuid of the disk (not necessary, this is not sensitive information) so I can't know for sure, but since the error is related to a permissions change I suspect that you are using a Windows file system, such as NTFS or similar. Always use native linux file system formats or you will have such problems.

• You have edited the uuid of the disk (not necessary, this is not sensitive information) so I can't know for sure, but since the error is related to a permissions change I suspect that you are using a Windows file system, such as NTFS or similar. Always use native linux file system formats or you will have such problems.

Hello chente, thank you for your kind answer!

Please forgive me probably being naive, but - the disk is a large one and is already packed with my multimedia content. Do you mean it has to be reformatted in a compatible format to work properly? Or perhaps the FS can be dismounted and remounted properly? Or again, what if the necessary folders were created on the SD card in the Pi?

Thanks again, all the best.

• Offizieller Beitrag

what if the necessary folders were created on the SD card in the Pi?

Yes, that can work but it is not recommended for the following reasons:

- Excessive writes to the SD card. It could degrade quickly depending on what containers are configured.

- If you need to reinstall OMV for any reason you will lose all the container information.

So it is always better to use a second disk for docker, preferably SSD that will provide faster execution to the containers.

In any case you should get used to using native Linux file systems for everything related to the server. You may have other problems in the future besides the one you have already seen.

• Noticed when I installed omv7 the dashboard showed “Network Interfaces” as “end0”. Yet, when I select “Network” from the side menu then “Interfaces” it shows “eth0” and the assigned IP address from my router. Any reason why “end0”?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Noticed when I installed omv7 the dashboard showed “Network Interfaces” as “end0”. Yet, when I select “Network” from the side menu then “Interfaces” it shows “eth0” and the assigned IP address from my router. Any reason why “end0”?

• Thanks for the quick response Chente.

My fresh install of omv on rpi4 shows “eth0” in the interfaces. When I delete it (and dont apply changes) then try to add a new ethernet interface the only option is “end0 ##:##:##:##” hashed mac address.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Search the forum. I know this has been resolved but I don't know where or how. Maybe this one:

• Thanks Chente.

I ran the omv preinstall and install scripts on my rpi.

The onscreen logs finished with

[omvinstall] Error applying network changes. Skipping reboot!

[omvinstall] done.

So i logged into the webgui and noticed that a new network interface was added named “end0” however the original inteface “eth0” was still there. Given that they both showed my assigned ip address I decided to deleted (trash can) the “end0” interface. This lost my connectivity to the rpi.

I had to borrow a monitor to try and log into the rpi directly as I no longer could via the webui. (Yes my router has a permanent ip assigned to the rpi).

I successfully logged in directly and ran omv-firstaid and selected network interface to create a new Ethernet interface. Done successfully and was able to access omv via the webui.

But, the Ethernet interface was now called “end0”. Guess I should have left it alone.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But, the Ethernet interface was now called “end0”

If it is working, leave it like that. :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!