After upgrade 6to7: no access to RPi through hostname

• Today I did the upgrade from omv6 to 7 w "omv-release-upgrade" . To be on the save side I did it first on a copy of my system disk.

The good thing: in general it ran through w/o any issues (as far as I can see).

Problem now:

- The omv-system doesn't appear in Finder on my macOS system as network device with its hostname. Before upgrade: no issue.

- trying to ping from terminal with "ping omv.local" gives error: "cannot resolve hostname" - whereas "ping omv" or "oing ip-addr" is working

On the other hand connecting through ip-address is working perfect (as before)

I think I've read something in this forum according this issue, but unfortunately I cannot find it.

Any suggestions/solution from your side?

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

• Tried. Ran through w/o errors. Unfortunately no success.

Could have been something to do w my FritzBox or piHole (running on a dedicated RPi)?

piHole I restarted - no success

Restarted my MacBook - no success

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

• Additional issue:

due to the fact that the hostname of my RPi cannot be resolved any longer (in my case "omv.local" as it was w omv6), my "Timemachine" on macOS cannot connect any longer and backups stoppt working.

Thats a major issue for me ... and if I cannot fix this I have to roll back to omv6 (restore backup).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tried. Ran through w/o errors. Unfortunately no success.

In that case from the Avahi running on OMV point of view everything is ok. Zeroconf/mDNS works correct here on Linux. No code change related to the Avahi code in OMV does not mean that there are differences because Debian has upgraded the Avahi package from Debian 11 to 12. I have not heared problems from other Mac users, so the best would be to find out why it does not work and report back a solution, so we can integrate a fix if this is necessary. Testing MacOS without having that hardware is not possible, so the community must do the testing and fixing if necessary.

• Ok. Understood.

In the meantime I tried to change some NW settings - with the result that the system was not accessible any longer.

So I switched back to omv6 from my backup - everythings ok again.

Now I decided to setup from scratch on a spare sd-card starting w installation of Bookworm then omv7.

But not today ...

One last question: is it possible to use omv-regen to restore my omv6 konfig to the brand new omv7 installation? Is there a guide?

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it possible to use omv-regen to restore my omv6 konfig to the brand new omv7 installation? Is there a guide?

You can do the regular upgrade from OMV6 to OMV7 and then run omv-regen to get a clean OMV7 system with your configuration.

• You can do the regular upgrade from OMV6 to OMV7 and then run omv-regen to get a clean OMV7 system with your configuration.

Sorry that I have to ask again: what is meant exactly by "regular upgrade from omv6 to omv7"?

I did "omv-release-upgrade" and this caused the issues I described. So it must be another way ...

Maybe "omv-upgrade"?

My plan is at the moment:

- "Old system": perform a backup w omv-regen of my omv6 on bullseye configuration, copy backup to stick, unplug system ssd

then create new system from scratch (keeping original system ssd as is in the drawer):

- install Bookworm on a blank/new sd-card

- install omv7

- copy the omv-regen backup from omv6 to the sd-card

- use omv-regen to restore configuration

- check if evrythings working as expected - especially network access from my MacBook

Would this work? I think at the end it would bring a new and clean system with less effort than seaching for any obstacles in the network setup...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry that I have to ask again: what is meant exactly by "regular upgrade from omv6 to omv7"?

omv-release-upgrade

Would this work?

No, that doesn't work. omv-regen does not support change between versions, it is explained in the documentation. That's why I told you what the way to go is.

If the system is partially working after an update to OMV7 you can try to regenerate and see the result, you lose nothing. If the database is in a correct state, the regeneration should work without problems.

• hmmmm ...

Code
    omv-release-upgrade

This I already did and is causing issues with DNS and macOS (as described in my first post) - maybe caused by Bookworm.

You're saying "If the system is partially working after an update to OMV7 you can try to regenerate and see the result".

This I don't understand - what do you mean by "regenerate" (when I can't use the omv-regen-backup from omv6)??

Edit: I think I've found it - you're talking about the "regenera" option of omv-regen, right?

Sorry for my newby questions but I never did a system upgrade .

I thought when doing a new installation I could takeover somehow the config of the old system ...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Teschbert ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

This I already did and is causing issues with DNS and macOS (as described in my first post) - maybe caused by Bookworm.

You're saying "If the system is partially working after an update to OMV7 you can try to regenerate and see the result".

This I don't understand - what do you mean by "regenerate" (when I can't use the omv-regen-backup from omv6)??

If the problems are caused by Bookworm omv-regen will not do anything to fix it. If the problems are caused by errors in the update from OMV6 to OMV7 omv-regen could solve them.

omv-regen is based on implementing the OMV configuration from the OMV database. The system may be malfunctioning but with a database in good condition. In this case you can use omv-regen to do a fresh installation and regenerate the system that is malfunctioning.

• I am a Mac user. Only use PC for work. I had issues before omv 7 with using .local domain so I did the following and all has been good since.

1 if router lan settings set domain then name the domain .lan (never .local)

2. Use dhcp for client up assignment. Assign addresses that you need to

Be fixed.

3. In omv network setting change domain to .lan (as above).

Then change and scripts/plugins etc to use client.lan and not client.local

• If the problems are caused by Bookworm omv-regen will not do anything to fix it. If the problems are caused by errors in the update from OMV6 to OMV7 omv-regen could solve them.

omv-regen is based on implementing the OMV configuration from the OMV database. The system may be malfunctioning but with a database in good condition. In this case you can use omv-regen to do a fresh installation and regenerate the system that is malfunctioning.

Status update:

1. I did a fresh install of Bookworm & OMV7 on a blank sd-card according to official guide on omv-extras

2. Installed omv-regen and started regenerate with the backup done before.

3. regeneration process stopped at some point. In between I've seen the following error:

Code
    [ERROR   ] Command '/usr/bin/systemd-run' failed with return code: 1
    [ERROR   ] stderr: Running scope as unit: run-rbad30fd91cb94ae6a1c7855d91ae1bc7.scope
    Job for avahi-daemon.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status avahi-daemon.service" and "journalctl -xeu avahi-daemon.service" for details.
    [ERROR   ] retcode: 1
    [ERROR   ] Job for avahi-daemon.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status avahi-daemon.service" and "journalctl -xeu avahi-daemon.service" for details.

4. Unfortunately I can't follow the given instruction because system is not starting any longer and I do not have any monitor/keyboard to connect

So, everything points to an issue w avahi and OMV7.

I came to this conclusion because:

1- see error above

2- OMV6 is causing no avahi issues

3- another RPi system I own (on Bookworm w/o OMV) is causing no issues

4- all other systems I own are working fine and are accessible by name from my MacBook

5- I contacted other Mac-User in a Mac-Forum. They are stating that there are some changes in avahi on Bookworm (Ports?) which maybe are not reflected in OMV7. But there`s nobody who upgraded for the time beeing -- now everybody is looking at me :-/

Are you really sure that avahi in the OMV7 configuration is configured right/working fine with bookworm?

I heard that avahi is just used in Mac/Apple environments and less in windows ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, everything points to an issue w avahi and OMV7.

Indeed, that's what it seems.

Are you really sure that avahi in the OMV7 configuration is configured right/working fine with bookworm?

I have no idea, someone else will have to answer this.

• OK. Maybe I found something ...

What I did:

I compared some analyzing commands done on OMV7 and OMV6.

In summary my observations:

- "ifconfig" shows on OMV7 "end0" as lan-if-name whereas OMV6 is naming it "eth0"

- on both systems in avahi-daemon.conf there is a line "allow-interfaces=eth0" (but no "end0" on OMV7)

- journalctl shows no entries for avahi-daemon on OMV7

- systemctl -> OMV7: CGGroup entries are in gray color and not in black like in OMV6

Maybe the LAN-Interface-name in avahi-daemon.conf is making the difference?

---_------------

Here the commands & outputs (first all of OMV7, then OMV6)

OMV7

Code
    jt@omv:~ $ journalctl -xeu avahi-daemon.service
    -- No entries --

OMV6

BOTH SYSTEMS:

• The end0 vs. eth0 issue on RPI is covered in the omv7 installation guide.

omv7:raspberry_pi_install [omv-extras.org]

There is an additional step required to make sure you end up with a system that has eth0 as the name of the lan interface. This step is needed to be taken before you run the install script...

Hope this helps you - I had a load of issues with this during the beta testing stage and the solution was the introduction of the pre configure script.

• Thanx for the info!

BUT: This is for new installations and I'm performing "omv-release-upgrade" from OMV6 to 7

I'm pretty sure that the additional step mentioned is not included here.

Edit: ooops! You're right. But why the hell is nobody point to this when talking about "release upgrade"??

Everybody is just saying "Start omv-release-upgrade and you`re done"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Teschbert ()

• Indeed, that's what it seems.

I have no idea, someone else will have to answer this.

I was right - but please read the two entries in this thread (before this one"

I solved the "avahi-issue" by adding "end0" to avahi-daemon.conf

But for sure the omv-Gui is still showing eth0 as LAN-IF and not end0 as it should be.

What can I do now after omv-release-upgrade was done to fix this?

Shall I start

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/preinstall | sudo bash

I suppose this must be run on omv6 before doing the upgrade to omv7 ... right?

What does this script do and can I do this on omv7 and is it really necessary or can I live with the wrong omv-gui (eth0)?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!