Upgrade NAS from Odroid HC1 to x86-based NAS (N100?)

• Hi Everyone,

i would like to share my thoughts (and experiences later) about updating my omv-nas.

For about 4 years i have an Odroid HC1 with an 2,5"-Seagate-HDD and an 64Gb-USB-Stick as a home-nas.

One of my goals are a energy-efficiency and noiselessness (the server stands in the guestroom) solution.

I use the hard disk for all media-data (Picture-backups once a day from two smartphones, movies-/ music-graveyard, ...) including dlna (not used very often).

The stick is used for a permanent sync of the "Documents-folder" of every computer/ smartphone in my network and some docker-data, so that the hdd don't have to spin-up all the time.

Besides i use some docker-container (Babybuddy, Pihole tvheadend for iptv, portainer) and small other programs (podgrabber, speedtest).

The downsides of this solution are the following (which i like to optimize):

- I'm doing backups of the media and documents-folder (incremental borgbackup) with an ext. 2,5"-HDD on my main computer via SMB (!!). This is slow, inconvenient and i have to remember it by myself.

- The Odroid HC1 hiccups often on updates, especially on newer kernels. I found a stable solution with remaining on 4.28, but this is not the best option for longer, i guess.

- Some sort of software and container, i would like to use, are not available for arm.

- Even with the stick-solution working for 4 years without problems, i guess its not the best idea to have a high writeload on a usb-stick and also it's quite slow (USB2.0).

- The HC1 can't be expanded with more disks/usb-drives (for backups or more things in the future)

- I have convinced my wife to switch from Windows to Linux, therefore a second user and more data to sync coming up.

- The 2Gb-memory is nowadays a bit small. I would like to use a photodatabase like "photoprism" and CCTV, which needs more memory. Besides in the future simultaneous sync, dlna-streaming and docker-containering with multiusers would benefit.

The points to improve besides my goal of energy-efficiency/ no high performance-using, better and a easier maintaining/backuping leeds to my following thoughts:

- switching to x86 (N100 or something similar in terms of power/ efficiency)

- more ports for int./ext. disks to backup, usb-ports

- self backups (on a separate internal hdd or ext. via self re/unmounting usbdrive)

- expand-ability (more ports in future, possibility of 2.5G-LAN in future)

- more memory, more multiuser-usecases are coming in future

- even than: no transcoding, VMs or highperforming-power is needed,no raid or high-availability need

- i like the idea to build my first computer by myself

This (and many threads i read i.e.: Why choose N100 over RPi) leads to the following configuration (from sure to unsure):

- 1x 2,5" HDD as mediagraveyard (reusing from old nas)

- 1x 2,5" HDD for weekly backups (once a week done via borgbackup or rsync) internally

- 1x SanDisk Extreme Pro on USBport (for operating system = omv 7)

- 1x NVMe SSD (1Tb for documents-sync, docker-data, maybe daily phone-photosync (that would save hdd-spinups))

- 1x 16Gb DDR4-RAM

- 1x Jonsbo N2 (i like the appearance and the formfactor)

- ASRock N100DC-ITX (because of 2x Sata, and with just 1-2 HDDs + 1 M.2 SSD more energyefficient then ASUS PRIME N100I-D D4 ?)

- Leicke 12V 72W (enough for all above ?)

Upgrade-possibilities for the future:

- 32Gb memory possible

- more space (HDDs/ SSDs) via SATA-portexpander/ PCIe-adapter

- 2.5GBit-LAN via PCIe-adapter or USB-adapter

Questions about the board:

In my opinion the ASRock has the following advantages above the ASUS:

- more energyefficent Power supply

- better for my usecase with two SATA-HDDs via the two SATAports (no need for energyhungry PCIe-adapter ?)

- better Bios-settings

Are there any cons on the board (i did not see) or advantages, the ASUS PRIME N100I-D will have?

Is the Leicke 12V 72W-power supply enough for 2x 2,5" int. HDDs, 1x NVMe-SSD and maybe one ext. 2,5"-usbdrive?

Do you have other suggestions, hints or thoughts about my config?

Thank you for reading :) ,

kind regards,

Minfred

• This is probably better for you: BKHD-1264-NAS (Intel N100 mini-ITX) I'll argue for this next one as well since you're coming from a small setup: Topton BK-1264NP-4L ver 1.5 (Intel N100 124 * 122 * 38)

That ASRock is a disappointment in function and advertising as it advertises "Compatible with the 19V power adapter" ("the"?). I'm not sure how that is a positive since that forces you to use a 2nd power supply or a more expensive buck adapter :-/.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That ASRock is a disappointment in function and advertising as it advertises "Compatible with the 19V power adapter" ("the"?). I'm not sure how that is a positive since that forces you to use a 2nd power supply or a more expensive buck adapter :-/.

A 19V power adapter is a standard laptop power adapter. There are just as easy to find as 12V adapters.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• A 19V power adapter is a standard laptop power adapter. There are just as easy to find as 12V adapters.

Sure but, then you can't use a single power supply for the board and storage, you must use some intermediate hardware. BTW, the mentioned Leicke 12v supply is enough for those few drives but, where's the 5v? If you get that ASRock board and go with that Leicke, you're going to have a 19v supply, a 12v supply and an unknown 5v supply... is there no shame?

The 120w of this might work better: https://www.quietpc.com/st-nano-psus?product=3746 You could go WAY overboard with this: https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-250w-gan-aio-atx-psu.html However, neither of these work with the ASRock :-/.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sure but, then you can't use a single power supply for the board and storage, you must use some intermediate hardware. BTW, the mentioned Leicke 12v supply is enough for those few drives but, where's the 5v? If you get that ASRock board and go with that Leicke, you're going to have a 19v supply, a 12v supply and an unknown 5v supply... is there no shame?

Why do you need another power supply? You power the board with 19V and you power the storage for the sata ports with the onboard sata power connector.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you think you can draw that much from that JST header? Well... you can try it, let us know how it goes.

I don't have that board but I have had a handful of boards over the years with two sata ports and an onboard sata power header just like that. Never had an issue powering two 3.5" drives. Two 2.5" drives should be no problem. I'm curious what you think the sata power connector is meant for if it can't power a couple of drives?

• I'm curious what you think the sata power connector is meant for

For 1 drive ryecoaaron. Its utility is for convenience and not performance. Regardless of how many you can daisy chain on that JST, the OP did allude to expansion beyond 2 drives with the item of "- The HC1 can't be expanded with more disks/usb-drives".

Of the 3 N100 ITX boards used on this forum for a NAS, I think the BK is the best of them until the BK proves otherwise. I would only run the ASUS board if you rrrrreally love ASUS and must have their brand. I wouldn't run the ASUS. I'd only run this ASRock if you had a reason to have 19v in the mix as it does satisfy an unlikely but possible need of sharing the power supply with stepper motors while powering USB drivers (this is super niche but there is always "that guy"). The BK isn't even that great but, if given a choice, why would you pick either of the other two instead?

• Offizieller Beitrag

For 1 drive ryecoaaron. Its utility is for convenience and not performance. Regardless of how many you can daisy chain on that JST, the OP did allude to expansion beyond 2 drives with the item of "-

All of the boards I have with that port have two sata power connectors on the harness that comes with the board. It would make no sense to offer two sata ports and only one power port. These boards probably don't support port multiplier either. So, two drives is all the manufacturer ever planned to power. Sure, you can throw a sata card in the pci-e port but the boards that have a 12v barrel connector for power don't work any better for that situation. If you want more drives than the board supports, don't buy a board that can't use a atx power supply is all I can say. Or use externally powered usb drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For 1 drive ryecoaaron. Its utility is for convenience and not performance. Regardless of how many you can daisy chain on that JST, the OP did allude to expansion beyond 2 drives with the item of "-

All of the boards I have with that port have two sata power connectors on the harness that comes with the board. It would make no sense to offer two sata ports and only one power port.

These boards probably don't support port multiplier either. So, two drives is all the manufacturer ever planned to power. Sure, you can throw a sata card in the pci-e port but the boards that have a 12v barrel connector for power don't work any better for that situation. If you want more drives than the board supports, don't buy a board that can't use a atx power supply is all I can say. Or use externally powered usb drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The ASRock can power up to 4 hdd with the 19V adapter. Mentioned in the documentation and proven by users. I personally use it with 3 hdd and one ssd.

Up to two drives can be powered with a 12V adapter. Some do this to save another 2W power consumption.

• Minfred regarding the Asrock N100DC-ITX have a look at the following video:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Perhaps this will help you with your decision.

• Hello Guys,

thank you for you thoughts and recommendations. :)

It seems, that the BKHD-1264-NAS (Intel N100 mini-ITX) might be the best solution (2.5Gbe, enough Sata Ports).

I just have some doubts about support (from community and manufacturer), because the ASRock seems to be more common in usage.

olduser (fancy avatar by the way ^^ ) Your linked test report is a bit confusing, what was the idle power consumption of the board?

Is it possible to use just one Lanport with 2.5Gbe or switch it to 1Gbe, because it should be energysaving and i have no 2.5Gbe Router today (but maybe in the future)?

Is the fan on the CPU always on or just on high load?

What kind or example of power supply do you recommend?

Otherwise, using an usbstick for the os, i'll very unlikely use more than 2 HDDs + 1 NVMe-SSD at any time. More likely i will use an extra ext. usb-drive to automatically backup and store the backupdata offside.

Regarding to this, the ASRock seems quite suitable for my needs (esp. with the shown hack of arschkrampe (fancy name by the way ^^ )).

But olduser mentioned also a disappointment in function... what do you mean exactly?

Nevertheless, maybe the Jonsbo seems a bit of overkill, when never think about using more than two HDDs...

Speaks something against the useage of the Sharknoon QB One case?

Kind regards,

Minfred

• Some other options to think about may be:

1. Odroid H3 w/ Intel Celeron (N5105)

2. Odroid H3+ w/ Intel Intel Pentium Silver (N6005)

Both have a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot for NVMe or other components, 2x 2.5Gbit NIC, 2x SATA 3.0, 1x eMMC

Currently I'm tinkering with a H3+ with the following configuration:

- 2x Crucial 16GB SO-DIMM (CT16G4SFRA32A)

- 1x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB; contains Gitea, Homer, Paperless-ngx, Syncthing, Unifi Network Application and Wiki.js Docker containers

- 2x Samsung 870 EVO 2TB (ZFS mirror); NAS storage

- 1x 32GB eMMC; Openmediavault boot drive

- 1x Noctua NF-A14 for cooling heat sink and NVMe

- 1x 1Gbit LAN connected

No monitor, keyboard or other devices connected!

The whole system draws 3.8 - 5.5 Watt from the wall. 24h consumption is 0.072kWh!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von arschkrampe ()

• Good morning,

that sounds incredible. I never searched for Odroid, because i thought they just have arm-cpus.

Do you have measured this consumption by yourself with a trustworthy device?

I thought that SSDs by themself drawing 1-2W each and that and x86-cpu can't be that frugal (The Odroid H3 seems also have an TPB of 10W, the hardkernel poweradapter has max. 60W),

that would be a crucial criteria for me to go for the Odroid.

The case is ugly, but cheap and will be the saving part to the higher price of the board.

Is the performance nearly comparable to the N100?

How do you flashed the eMMC with omv? Can this be done via the board and a usbstick or do you need an eMMC-writer?

Regards,

Minfred

• Do you have measured this consumption by yourself with a trustworthy device?

To measure the power consumption, I used a Voltcraft SEM600 socket adapter, which provides a fairly accurate measurement.

I thought that SSDs by themself drawing 1-2W each and that and x86-cpu can't be that frugal (The Odroid H3 seems also have an TPB of 10W, the hardkernel poweradapter has max. 60W),

that would be a crucial criteria for me to go for the Odroid.

Hardkernel offers two kinds of PSUs:

1. 15V 4A, able powering Odroid H3+, 1x eMMC, 1x NVMe, 2x SSD, 2x SO-DIMM

2. 19V 7A, needed if you want to supply power to 2x 3.5" HDD instead of 2x 2.5" SSD

You can also use a standard PC PSU instead of the two mentioned above. To power the H3(+) all that's needed is a SATA power to 5.5/2.1 barrel connector. Another option for using a standard PC PSU would be using one of those connectors for which you need to cut off e. g. a 4-Pin Molex connector and mount it's wires to the plug. How it's done you can see in the video if posted in my first entry in this topic.

Important in that case is, to NOT use the H3(+) JST connectors for powering any kind of 2.5"/3.5" drive.

Currently I'm using the 15V 4A PSU from Hardkernel. Waiting for the adapter mentioned above. Want to use a Corsair RM550x Series 2021 which I have. It's one of the best for low power setups, sadly no longer buyable. I bet that using this PSU will lower idle power consumption a little more. Don't thing that the plugs offered buy Hardkernel are power efficient.

The case is ugly, but cheap and will be the saving part to the higher price of the board.

Totally true! Because of the I will make my own case using either 2020 extruded aluminum or smaller version made by MakerBeam.

Is the performance nearly comparable to the N100?

the H3+ N6005 at 195usd is comparable to the N100

Complete posting of olduser you can find here.

Or have a look e. g. here and decide yourself.

How do you flashed the eMMC with omv? Can this be done via the board and a usbstick or do you need an eMMC-writer?

Yes, I'm running OMV with my Odroid H3+. Simply mount the eMMC on the Odroid, boot the installation media (USB stick) and install OMV on to the eMMC drive.

Edit #1

Additional information:

You could also mount the H3(+) within a default PC case of your liking using a 3D printed adapter like this one.

Edit #2

Take a look at the following YT playlist to get some inspirations.

Edit #3

Added an alternative solution for using standard (Flex-) ATX PSUs

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von arschkrampe ()

• As I'm very satisfied with how the Odroid H3+ performs I've ordered a second one to replace my current backup server. In the end I will power both H3+ including the connected devices (RAM, eMMCs, NVMes, 2.5" SSDs, Noctua NF-A14) using a single Corsair RM550x ATX PSU.

As far as the housings are concerned, I am thinking about the right way. They will definitely not be from Hardkernel.

Option #1:

DIY using 20x20/MakerBeam extruded aluminum as a framework which is covered with poly carbonate sheets, the grooves of the respective aluminum profiles are suitable for this.

Option #2

Ready-made solution using an existing Chieftec Cube CI-01B, which accommodates both H3+ including the storage media and the Corsair RM550x.

• Minfred, if you're interested in buying an Odroid H3(+), check out Antratek's store. That's the source where I bought mine, as well as eMMC, SATA data and power cables, and the power supply.

Since you live in DE like me, this is the cheapest source nearby to get these parts. They have branches in BE, DE and NL so you don't have to pay any fees. Shipping is also free. Don't buy RAM modules there! They are way too expensive - better look at Geizhals.de.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!