SMB File Share stuck @ 11MB/s - NIC Speed stuck at 100Mb/s

• I'm unable to get myself any speeds higher than 11MB/s while transferring from my Win11 PC to OMV 7 over LAN connection. I've been checking forums for 2 days and still seem to be no closer to higher transfer speed.

I've today learnt about Speed & Duplex which I think I have narrowed down to be the problem, ethtool is reporting my NIC running at 100Mb/s yet it is capable of 1000, when I set the speed with ethtool to 1000 I lose the ability to connect to the machine via OMV WeTTY & SMB, rebooting the OMV PC just resets the speed back to 100Mb/s.

I am using cat5e and cat6 cables attached to a TP-Link passthough but I have also tried connecting both to a 10/100 network switch but I'm receiving the same speeds. I was getting these same speeds when I previously was using Kubuntu.

I've also added the following extra options in SMB/CIFS Settings:

Neither cable seem damaged, both machines have a good external connection to the internet but the connection between them is painfully slow. My drives are formatted as EXT4.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, I'm sure there are other things I've tried but everything's starting to blur together :S

System:

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

but I have also tried connecting both to a 10/100 network switch

The maximum speed of a network connection will be the same as the speed of the element on that connection with the lowest speed. Review your network and make sure that all intermediate elements are at least gigabit speed.

• The maximum speed of a network connection will be the same as the speed of the element on that connection with the lowest speed. Review your network and make sure that all intermediate elements are at least gigabit speed.

so this is part of the reason I decided to try with a switch as I'm unable to determine the speeds of my Passthrough that connects both PC's to my router, does this mean both the network switch (Netgear ProSafe 24 Port JFS524v2) and the passthrough are limited to 11Mb/s? I've had max speeds of about 12MB/s whist transferring to my OMV storage.

Would that then also explain why I'm unable to set the speed with ethtool and remain connected?

My Win11 PC has a 2.5G LAN and the server PC has Gigabit LAN

• That switch is only rated to 100 Mb/s so all you'll ever yield is 12.5 MB/s and realistically that 11 MB/s is reasonable. Can you get your hands on a cheap 1000 Mb/s switch? You'll see 115 MB/s with that.

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Processor Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

• That switch is only rated to 100 Mb/s so all you'll ever yield is 12.5 MB/s and realistically that 11 MB/s is reasonable. Can you get your hands on a cheap 1000 Mb/s switch? You'll see 115 MB/s with that.

I see, I mistakenly had assumed it would be 100 megabyte. Thank you for clarifying, I can only assume that means the Passthrough is also rated for 100 Mb/s, I'm sure I can manage to find a cheap 1000 Mb/s switch somewhere.

Thank you both for your help.

• caalms

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!