Configuring Multiple Self Hosted Server Applications To be Accessible From Anywhere Using External Website

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I don't have another drive to install Docker on. All my other drives have data on them. I am open to installing Docker on a different partition on the same drive, given that I can repartition that drive without reinstalling OMV. Is that possible?

If you had 8 drives with "data" on them, that is where docker should go. You just put it in a different shared folder.

Re-partitioning doesn't take them off the drive. The whole idea of OMV is to have data on a different drive(s) than the OS. That way if the OS drive fails, you lose no data.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• As stated previously, I'm coming from years of being a Windows user, so my mentality was (and still is to an extent) to have any data related to the OS consolidated on the same drive. I am slowly adjusting to being a Linux user and learning that the way thing are done in Windows isn't necessarily the same in Linux. Please be patient with me as I am just trying to gather as much information as possible.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

How exactly is your port forwarding? Because you are hitting the omv login, it sounds like your port forwarding is wrong

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

As stated previously, I'm coming from years of being a Windows user, so my mentality was (and still is to an extent) to have any data related to the OS consolidated on the same drive. I am slowly adjusting to being a Linux user and learning that the way thing are done in Windows isn't necessarily the same in Linux

You can do it however you want. If it works, it isn't wrong. We are just recommending things that work well and are best practices from experience. This isn't being impatient with you. And you don't even have to keep data related to the OS on the save drive as the OS on Windows.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Here is the docker-compose file I used to get SWAG up and running:

You can't have a YML for SWAG with just a SUBDOMAIN as you have.

From what I read, you have been doing things your way so, it will be difficult to help sort things out.

The most basic way to run SWAG as a reverse-proxy is giving it the control of the HTTPS server.

For this to work, your DUCKDNS domain need to point to your WAN IP and you need a router portforward from WAN 443 to OMV LAN IP 444.

And this is the only port that you need to open to the outside world.

Then, the YML need to be like this (I only copy and edited what need to be edited. Since you pasted without IDENTs, you will have to fix it)

As said above, having the config volume on the root OS is bad.

Although SWAG is a simple container, if you lose the config folder and you have proxy samples edited (as you will need since you have services running outside of docker), you will have to redo them again.

Once the SWAG is launched (as I made it above), you will have HTTPS access to it via https://www.<YOUR.SUBDOMAIN>.duckdns.org

When it is done, I can tell you the rest.

I have Emby, which is installed directly on the host, not through docker. The website is hosted through a domain provider, not on my NAS. So I need a way to link Emby and the other application to my website, which is why I have DuckDNS.

???

Website hosted on a domain provider?

Emby on host?

For what is the website running? Or it's just a web domain that point's to your WAN ip?

If you have EMBY installed AND running on your OMV host, and you don't mind having a sub.sub-domain.duckdns.org (4 words) website, duckdns is all you need.

• Ok. Thank you very much for the clarification. I started doing this process before I reached out. I gathered as much information as I could form many different sources (you should see how many tabs are currently open in my browser on my home PC) and pieced together that information as best as I could to guide me. I also didn't want to change anything on my current setup, I only wanted to adapt it for this project. For the proxy sample files, I edit or create them on my PC and transfer them to the NAS once they are ready, so I will have backups of those. I only reached out once I realized I needed to. I am not currently home to make the changes however I will update this thread once I do. Thank you again to everyone who responded for your time, assistance, and patience.

• Soma,

I've changed my docker-compose file and edited the port forwarding on my router, per your above recommendations. What are the next steps? Also, to answer your question regarding my website, it's hosted externally (look up hosting24.com). I am not looking to link the main website to either service. Rather, I have 2 subdomains on that website, one of which I want to use with Emby.

• What are the next steps?

Do you see a secured https://www.<YOUR-SUBDOMAIN>.duckdns.org swag Park webpage?

• HannesJo,

That's correct. I'm basically trying to link the two (make certain applications running on my NAS accessible via subdomains on my main website).

Soma,

Unfortunately, no. What's strange is when I load the HTTP variant of my DuckDNS URL I get my OMV login page, however when I load the HTTPS variant, I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED in my browser.

• Unfortunately, no. What's strange is when I load the HTTP variant of my DuckDNS URL I get my OMV login page, however when I load the HTTPS variant, I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED in my browser.

Recheck the portforwards you have on the router.

The only one required is from WAN 443 to OMV LAN IP 444.

• That's correct. I'm basically trying to link the two (make certain applications running on my NAS accessible via subdomains on my main website).

Ok so I don‘t get why you would do that. Duckdns is basically sth you use when you’ve got no ‚real‘ domain at all. When I wanna add sth. like emby.domain.com I go to my domain company dashboard and add a dns entry that points to my NAS.

Also I wonder what your website has to do with that. When my website is hosted somewhere else I go to domain dashboard and add a entry for eg. http://www.domain.com that simply points to where the website is..

Still don’t get where I would bring duckdns into play. :/ It just sounds really weird while your needs and ‚what you want to achieve‘ sounds quite common at the same time.

• Ok so I don‘t get why you would do that.

I don't either.

For now, the idea is to make services available via swag/duckdns.

Once everything is running, changing to only webdomain, is easy (although I see no advantage other thatn having a 3 name URL instead of 4).

Between using duckdns or a paid hosted name, I still use the duckdns.

If using a free webhost is a concern, then you can always add cloudflare to reduce that concern.

But only duckdns is more than enough.

• Not sure if this topic is resolved or not but I have been working on something similar (I think) and have it all working. Here is what I have done and I hope it is some help.

1. get swag (docker container) running on OMV with duckdns as the DDNS / SSL provider - see compose below (and note the

SUBDOMAINS=wildcard ENV variable as this is important)

2. start swag and check it starts up and generates the ssl cert (should see 'server ready' at end of start log)

3. setup port forwarding of tcp 443 to OMV on your router so that you can access from outside (and inside) of your LAN

4. test you see the swag web holding page from outside of your LAN using https://<your-sub-domain>.duckdns.org

Once you have got the above working, then you can start to work through reverse proxies to either dockers or other hosts on your LAN. I have one setup for home assistant (docker) and another for a proxmox host server on my network. To do this you need to create reverse proxy config files for each service you want to access either on the LAN or externally.

Importantly when you create/edit these config files you need to make sure they end with .conf (not .conf.sample)

1. create or rename reverse proxy files in the docker swag config (e.g. appdata/swag/nginx/proxy-confs) - see example below

2. restart the swag docker container to 'enable' the config changes

Hope this helps. Example compose for swag and proxy config file below.

Compose file for swag docker on OMV - using the default docker bridge network config.

Proxy file - to access the web interface for proxmox server on my network.

This will provide access to proxmox web interface using https://macmini.<your-sub-domain>.duckdns.org

It basically forwards to my proxmox server IP using https on port 8006

• Thanks. I've been focusing on other tasks recently and this project has unfortunately been put on the back burner for the time being. I will post an update when I have the time needed to dedicate to this project.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!