How to use remotemount plugin

• I pushed updates. They will fix the breakage but the Details button in the Filesystem tab is still broken for mergerfs, remotemount, and zfs. It will take time to fix that.

7.1 breaks mergerfs, zfs, and remotemount because it requires a getDetails function that they don't have. I will have to add that and release updates. I didn't realize this change was required until now.

Remotemount.

I have been trying to "remotemount" Nvidia Shiels Pro using cifs option for a long time without any success. I have no problem mounting Shield Pro in Arch and Mint but OMV --> No Success. Is there any instructions as to how to use this add-on?.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Moved to its own thread since it was different topic than other thread.

omv6:omv6_plugins:remote_mount [omv-extras.org]

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Whenever I have seen problems like this on the forum they have ended up being permissions problems on the remote server. The plugin cannot solve that.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

mmm... I just found this, better wait for it to be fixed, maybe this is affecting you...

• Whenever I have seen problems like this on the forum they have ended up being permissions problems on the remote server. The plugin cannot solve that.

@"chente" I am not sure if you are responding to my post or not but if You are, user "andy" has all rights on that Nvidia Shield. I have no problem mounting it on my Linux boxes using fstab and have full rwx rights.

Note:

fstab entry for this share on Linux Mint

Code
    //192.168.1.14/Internal  /media/cifs/ShieldProLoft      cifs credentials=/media/cifs/.shieldproloft_creds,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls () aus folgendem Grund: Added note

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I was answering you. So you could check precisely that, the permissions of the remote system. Only you know what they are.

Anyway, did you read the following post?

• @"chente" Yes I did and as I said before I have no issue mounting and having full "xwr" permissions on that Shield from 3 other Linux computers, as I shown fstab line in my previous post. Same "user" and password is used. OMV "remotemount" create "/srv/remotemout/ShieldProLoft_R" with "rwxrwx---" root 9997. I cannot change permisions, user and/or group, even dough I am login as root.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

This is what I specified and error I am getting

Your share name is wrong. As the hint says, you need to just put the share name. You have a leading slash that need to be removed. If that change doesn't help, it is likely permissions.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Your share name is wrong. As the hint says, you need to just put the share name. You have a leading slash that need to be removed. If that change doesn't help, it is likely permissions.

@"ryecoaaron" Yes, I tried without "/" and got no error but that did not solved the problem which is that OMV create "/srv/remotemout/ShieldProLoft_R" with "rwxrwx--- root 9997" that cannot be changed even when login as root. I have no such issues, permissions, when mounting same ShieldPro in fstab on Linux Mint or Arch Linux computers. Same user and password, works great but on OMV cannot get it to work using "remotemount". Also, what would syntax be in fstab to mount this smb share from OMV on other Linux box? I have 17 OMV shares that I successfuly mount through fstab on other Linux boxes, but this one refuse to mount. Could be permissions but, as I mensioned, I cannot change nither owner nor group of this one.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

that did not solved the problem which is that OMV create "/srv/remotemout/ShieldProLoft_R" with "rwxrwx--- root 9997"

I can assure you that OMV or the remotemount plugin did not set those permissions. The remotemount plugin uses systemd mount units instead of fstab. And systemd would never set a permission to a group that doesn't exist (9997).

Could be permissions but, as I mensioned, I cannot change nither owner nor group of this one.

You can force the permissions in the mount options.

• I can assure you that OMV or the remotemount plugin did not set those permissions. The remotemount plugin uses systemd mount units instead of fstab. And systemd would never set a permission to a group that doesn't exist (9997).

You can force the permissions in the mount options.

Well, it does and yes it sets permisions and group 999 all by itself. And, even login as "root" I cannot change any of it. See attached and, please, tell me what I am diong wrong.

Note:

192.168.1.14 is Nvidia Shield Pro (ShieldProLoft).

• Storagr --> Shared Folders settings

Nothing changes. See below:

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

As a test:
    Use the user name root and the password for root as it is set on the remote machine to, set up the remote mount.
    (Essentially, use the same administrative username and password, that is used from administration of the remote server or PC If it's a Linux box, it's usually root.)

• As a test:
    Use the user name root and the password for root as it is set on the remote machine to set up the remote mount.
    (Essentially, use the same administrative username and password, that is used from administration of the remote server or PC If it's a Linux box, it's usually root.)

@"crashtest" This remote is Nvidia Shield Pro 2019. user "andy" is "root" I have no problem mounting and accessing this device from other linux computers mounting share through "fstab". See below

"//192.168.1.14/Internal /media/cifs/ShieldProLoft cifs credentials=/media/cifs/.shieldproloft_creds,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0"

Each of my 3 Linux boxes have same line in their "fstab" and it works fine. I want to mount that Mvidia Shield Pro as a remotemount in OMV and it will not do it, OMV that is. So my question is: why and what I need to do to get this working. The underlying issue is that in Mint 6.5-27 and 6.5-28 kernel there is a possible issue with smb that when I want to copy a file in OMV from one directory to an another on same OMV share from one of the linux boxes, the whole thing is freezing and I have to reboot Mint. Kernel 6.5-26 does not have this issue. So I changed all of my shares to NFS and that works great, but I need to have Nvidia Shield Pro (I have 3 of them) to be remote mounted from OMV running 6.8.4-3 pve kernel.

I hope that I am clear in my explanation/description of the issue. BTW Nvidia Shield Pro does not support NFS.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Regretfully, I don't have anything to offer. I've set up remote mount at least a 100 times through different versions of OMV, to SMB shares hosted by various remote boxes, both bare metal and VM's; Windows, OMV, a couple of Linux Desktops (Debian w/KDE and something else with Xfce as I remember) and haven't had a problem. That's not to say that I've had success with connecting to ALL Linux client distro's. That's not the case.

The key is, the remote client or server must accept the username and password offered, the same as it would if a user(name) and password accessed a remote SMB share over the network. If some other security related credential "extra" is required by the client, that's another matter.

You're saying "andy" is "root", as in root account was renamed to andy? Or are you saying andy is in the root group? Renaming the root account would almost have to be problematic in that nearly all the Linux software out there assumes that "root" exists. Having the user "andy" in the root group is not the same as user "root".

• Regretfully, I don't have anything to offer. I've set up remote mount at least a 100 times through different versions of OMV, to SMB shares hosted by various remote boxes, both bare metal and VM's; Windows, OMV, a couple of Linux Desktops (Debian w/KDE and something else with Xfce as I remember) and haven't had a problem. That's not to say that I've had success with connecting to ALL Linux client distro's. That's not the case.

The key is, the remote client or server must accept the username and password offered, the same as it would if a user(name) and password accessed a remote SMB share over the network. If some other security related credential "extra" is required by the client, that's another matter.

You're saying "andy" is "root", as in root account was renamed to andy? Or are you saying andy is in the root group? Renaming the root account would almost have to be problematic in that nearly all the Linux software out there assumes that "root" exists. Having the user "andy" in the root group is not the same as user "root".

I might not been clear in my post. I have NO problem with Linux distro and OMV shares, My issue is that OMV remotemount creates "/serv/remotemount/ShareName" with user "root" which is fine but the group is "9997" I do not create that, OMV remotemount does it. User name that I specify "andy" with the password has FULL permissions on that device, in this case Nvidia Shield Pro. I posted fstab line from one of the Linux Boxes, NOT OMV, that mounts and connects that Linux box to Nvidia Shield Pro. So I still cannot understand as to why OMV remotemount is not capable to create proper smb share. On top of that, OMV root user CANNOT change "/srv/remotemount/ShareName" parameters.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls ()

• @"crashtest" This remote is Nvidia Shield Pro 2019. user "andy" is "root" I have no problem mounting and accessing this device from other linux computers mounting share through "fstab". See below

"//192.168.1.14/Internal /media/cifs/ShieldProLoft cifs credentials=/media/cifs/.shieldproloft_creds,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0"

So, change the options in the OMV remote mount to match those that work in your fstab of your other Linux boxes.

iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail

Assuming "andy" on the remote system has uid/gid 1000. As you do not specify a CIFS version in that fstab line it must autonegotiate the version OK.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

it does and yes it sets permisions and group 999 all by itself.

No. It is getting that from the server when you auth as andy. The plugin cannot prevent this. Krisbee is telling you what to do when I said force the permissions in the mount options.

• So, change the options in the OMV remote mount to match those that work in your fstab of your other Linux boxes.

iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail

Assuming "andy" on the remote system has uid/gid 1000. As you do not specify a CIFS version in that fstab line it must autonegotiate the version OK.

Did that previously with no effect. I just did it again, remotemount plugin just had an update, and looks like new version fix this issue and I might be able to work with it. I just need to go through making smb shares and symbolic links. It looks promising.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!