OMV + Proxmox

• Hello everyone, I have a question that does not really fit into the current categories, so if it fits better in another place, please move it there.

Now to the question: I currently have an OMV running on a mini PC, already with Proxmox Kernel. I would like to use the web interface of Proxmox and also OMV. Since both are based on Debian and the PVE kernel can be installed via a plugin, shouldn't that work?

• Offizieller Beitrag

shouldn't that work?

Nope. Too many things conflict. Why is the kvm plugin in OMV not acceptable for VMs and LXC? That is what I use after using ESX and Proxmox at home and being an ESX admin at work.

omv 7.4.10-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.14 | k8s 7.3.1-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.9

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Too bad, but that would be too easy... Now the answer to the why is simple. There are ready-made scripts for many things in Proxmox. It's great for just testing something. Would the scripts also work in OMV? You can find an example of such scripts here.

Why don't you use Proxmox at home anymore?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would the scripts also work in OMV?

No because the plugin uses libvirt where proxmox uses its own code to interface directly with kvm.

Why don't you use Proxmox at home anymore?

It doesn't do storage well or provide file sharing (nfs, cifs, etc) or handle docker/compose or have a plugin infrastructure. I wanted something simpler integrated within the OMV web interface instead of running OMV as a VM. Creating a VM or lxc or docker continare in the kvm and compose plugins is much simpler and faster than proxmox or ESX/vcenter.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.14 | k8s 7.3.1-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.9

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are advantages to either way it all depends on your case what is best. I prefer OMV as a vm but I am not using docker etc. I don't know if you can run those on a OMV vm. I tend to like my vm's sort of stand alone so if one thing causes problems it only effects that vm. And it is easy to restore a snap shot. Another thing I like is the much larger support community of proxmox. That is not to knock us here just the numbers.

Good luck whatever you choose.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker works just fine in a VM and is actually more secure.

While I agree the proxmox community is larger, I don't remember the last time I needed kvm support that I couldn't find with a google search. Proxmox has paid support as well which may or may not make things better. Probably worse if you aren't paying.

I tend to like my vm's sort of stand alone so if one thing causes problems it only effects that vm.

OMV and proxmox have the same userland and change network settings in almost the same way. Proxmox is nowhere as minimal as ESXi since Proxmox is a full Linux OS. You should be using ESXi if you really want your VMs standalone.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So it is just more comfortable for me. If it aint broke don' fix it.

I went from ESXi to Proxmox to OMV for VMs at home lol.

ESX is no longer free so that is out.

True but the VMUG license for less than $200 a year for a full enterprise license and vcenter is pretty cheap.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!