another HP N36L build..

• Though I'd post now that I'm ( almost ) done with my OMV build.. I know 100% the system I have wouldn't be possible without OMV and the OMV community.. I made the best choice :D ( I'm looking at you FreeNAS and UnRAID )

Hardware:

HP N36L - Modded BIOS
    4 x 2TB (OMV RAID5)
    32GB Transend SSD370 ( OS )
    8GB Mem
    DVBSky S952 Dual DVB-S Tuner

Software:

OMV 1.0.21
    VDR inc VNSI & eepg
    Comskip
    Virtualbox - runs 4 Centos VMs for my dev environment
    AFP - Time Machine OSX backup

So.. this little box that I paid next to nothing for.. well I think it was £100 with the cash back offer, quietly sits there and provides all my entertainment and also my dev environment..

VDR streams HD TV out to XBMC Gotham running on AppleTV gen1 running Crystalbuntu with a Crystal HD decoder

also streams out to XBMC Gotham running on iPad 1, all with live pause and record.

I get 10 days of EPG though eepg:

http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/plg-eepg/wiki

And all recording have automatic commercial skipping EDL added as a post process via the linux port of comskip..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150084

All my Macs are automatically backed up via Time Machine ( not the best, but its better than nothing )

All DVDs and CDs encoded and live on the NAS

There's still a few bits to do ( part of me says to re-install from scratch and re-build just so its nice and tidy... but.. it works.. :whistling: )

Its a good job I'm not adverse to command line.. theres been a LOT of building from source to get all this working.. and with the joys of linux.. that means quite a bit of running around.. I've read a lot of German ( don't understand a word of it ) and French ( which I can just about ) and read some great google translations too..

If anyone is interested in the detail of getting this kinda setup working let me know.. I have copies of my terminal sessions so I could put together some kinda guide if there is enough interest..

Thanks to those who have helped along the way..

:thumbup:

( if anyone needs any Mac help I know one or two things.. )

..muddling my way through linux one bit at a time....

HP N54L - OMV 5.6.20-1 - 8TB + 6TB ICY DOCK - 16GB

Mac Guru 8)8o

• Hi macguru42, I've got similar hardware currently running XBMC with Argus on windows7 :(

I'm looking into reinstalling under linux. If you could get me some kind of guide you would make me a happy man!!!

• Hi macguru42, I've got similar hardware currently running XBMC with Argus on windows7 :(

I'm looking into reinstalling under linux. If you could get me some kind of guide you would make me a happy man!!!

Hi, I'd like to join the interest group allthough i'll stick to win7 based xbmc frontends.
    After several nights of testing, I'm also convinced of the OMV solution for NAS.
    For DBV-TV+Radio my favorite ia so far a Myth-XBMX integration which has worked sesamlessly during my tests and can be remotecontrolled by Android. If I could avoid the planned Myth-server, I'd be glad.
    How did you get the XBMC-VDR-plugin work with OMV-VDR?
    Mine doesnt...
    Regards from Southern Austria

• Hi all,

@haenzel, not sure what what your after.. AppleTV gen 1 runs CrystalBuntu.. its a download to USB and install.. let me know what you want to do.. if its XMBC via linux.. easy way is OpenELEC

@tomrey, once you have VDR installed on OMV, you need to get the VNSI plugin added ( i'm guessing this is still the case ). This requires some work in CLI..

this is where I went:

https://github.com/FernetMenta/vdr-plugin-vnsiserver

and here

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=147852

and more here:

vdr: vnsi server 5

there is a bit off messing around.. I have the terminal sessions saved, but not with me at the moment.. I'll dig them out if you need more info.

since this post I've changed the AppleTV to a cubox-i ( the AppleTV was getting a bit old... 7 years!! ) , this runs OpenELEC, its way faster than the AppleTV and now that the CrystalHD card is no longer supported in Kodi.. its days were numbered.. plus it supports CEC so I can use just my Panasonic Virea link.. nice!Reply

Mac Guru 8)8o

• Offizieller Beitrag

since this post I've changed the AppleTV to a cubox-i ( the AppleTV was getting a bit old... 7 years!! ) , this runs OpenELEC, its way faster than the AppleTV

cubox-i running openelec 4.95.1 is very nice :) If I could just get Amazon Prime running on it...

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I use Airplay via iPad for streaming DRM content.. now the BBC have killed off iPlayer on XMBC.. and 4od was killed off a while ago.. not tried Amazon.. but they support it to an AppleTV..

Mac Guru 8)8o

• bum! tried Amazon prime via Airplay.. it don't work.. seems like it did in the past.. I guess theres something more 'magical' happening in the AppleTV to let it work..

Mac Guru 8)8o

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!