Help with initial setup of filesystems

• HI All,
    I am in the middle of moving from FreeNAS to OMV.
    I have installed everything (?).
    I have looked for solutions on the forum but I am no closer to an answer. I would like some idea of best practices in configuring my filesystems.

I have created a Raid6 array on the data drives (9.1TB)
    I think I want to do the following:
    I want to create a volume(filesystem?) for various Time Machine backups - around 800GB
    I want to then create separate filesystems for Photos, Music, Videos, Users etc.

When I go to create a filesystem, it does not have a size limit, so will it use up the whole array?

Any advice on how to set this up correctly the first time would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gwarph

• Offizieller Beitrag

Create one filesystem (no need for multiple) and create a separate shared folder for each one of your items. You have to create shared folders to be used in plugins (samba, ftp, etc).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Separate filesystems in the same volume/disk?

there is no webUI for partitioning, you can use parted in CLI

Other than that you're looking at using LVM, ZFS or btrfs with subvolumes. Where you can define separate filesytems and their boundaries.

Bear in mind shared folders in OMV on a standard ext4/xfs partition, are just folders there are not datasets or separate filesystems, like in Freenas

• Offizieller Beitrag

Create one filesystem (no need for multiple) and create a separate shared folder for each one of your items. You have to create shared folders to be used in plugins (samba, ftp, etc).

Agreed.

Separate filesystems on the same disk just seems like a recipe for disaster. Frankly, I can't think of any scenario where it would be even remotely necessary.

• Zitat

Separate filesystems on the same disk just seems like a recipe for disaster. Frankly, I can't think of any scenario where it would be even remotely necessary.

I know nothing (well more than I did this am) about Linux, but in the AIX world, we create multiple fs on VGs all the time. My thought was to have save separate fs so that I can unmount say 'PHOTOS' if I was experimenting with Adobe and have no fear that my data was in danger.

However, I'm restoring my data and testing the multiple TM backups right now, so all is good.

Thanks,
    Gwarph

• You can enable/disable shared folders in the samba section if you feel the need to do that.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!