Newbie: Before installing

• In the installation document, it talks of using an entire disk for its own installation. Can it be installed in a logical partition? If I were to create a partition in one of my HDDs for OMV's exclusive use /dev/sdb# will this be accepted? How easy is it to remove the entire installation should I find it not suitable for my purposes? ?(

• Offizieller Beitrag

Partitions are accepted as data drives, but the omv installer doesn't give you the option. It assumes the drive you provide for OS to use as a whole.

You may want to install first debian Wheezy (minimal just ssh), partition the disk as you wish, and from there install OMV on top. Recommendation for OS drive partition size is 5-6GB.

The OMV install is done in 6 CLI steps in ssh or terminal text console, after debian is installed.

• I am running Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca x64 on external USB-HDD that would have to have a partition created for OMV without it affecting the Mint installation. If this cannot be done, then I doubt the usefulness of this product.

• The question that remains, why do you want to dualboot a NAS OS?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If this cannot be done, then I doubt the usefulness of this product.

This is a NAS server solution, maybe you're not looking for NAS. I would never occur to me dual boot a system in between a Desktop distro and full server, there is no point. Other than that you can install the desktop components in Debian Wheezy if that's what you want.

• I see, I didn't know it's a "server solution" not a stand-alone PC solution networked with about 6 other laptops and a desktop with a different OS. But I am not running Debian Wheezy, I am running Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca x64 (trusty) with 'vivid' as the kernel (3.18.2).

Trying the installation via the commandline results in these error messages:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openmediavault : Depends: php5-pam but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: proftpd-mod-vroot but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: php5-proctitle but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

But Synaptic reports NO broken packages, and apt-get install -f finds no errors, nor does dpkg --configure -a

I may as well do apt-get purge openmediavault and forget all about it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Brilliant! Will it work in Linux Mint Debian Edition (when it's released)?

First.. I agree w/ subzero.. The "usefulness of this product" is not in question.. It's not meant to be a desktop OS, it's meant to be a server OS.

As for whether it will work on Mint Debian...It's possible, but it's also very possible it wouldn't. Since Mint Debian is (as of now) a semi-rolling release based on Debian Unstable, it's possible updates will break OMV. Also keep in mind, the current stable version of OMV is based on Wheezy, while Mint Debian, upon actual release, will be based on Jessie.

If you want a Desktop that badly , why not just install Debian Wheezy, then install OMV on top of that? That will work fine.

• It will only work on Debian Wheezy as of now and there are no plans to support any other Distribution. LMDE is a semi-rolling release and uses way newer binaries of packages, thus breaks many features of the WebGUI.

I highly suggest you to consider a dedicated NAS or get deeper into how to share things manually yourself. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• The question that remains, why do you want to dualboot a NAS OS?

Greetings
    David

Hi David

to "vent" my anger - I'm replying here (instead of opening a new thread):
    I just got my whole system-disc formatted installing OMV 1.9-Image.

Planned installation:
    replacing Debian Wheezy (sda2) with new OMV, while old OMV 1.0.2x-Installation remained as "already running backup-System". Now, I got only a sda1........

...Fortunatly, I removed all Harddrives and lost no data (as virtual Servers didn't work so "Datapartition" on sda was empty).

But it is still ..annoying.. to lose everything as there is no possibility to choose the partition you meant for OMV... (each distro asks "do you want to use the whole disc? yes/no" (when no: select the partition)... Delivering a dedicated .iso imho makes OMV a distro; so I'd expected this Dialog - especially because OMV 0.5.x (my first installation) used to ask where it should install itself)

If someone responsible reads this: pls. re-activate this question; it sure does not hurt to choose "whole disc" or the partition. But it hurts losing everything...

Well, I know what I'll do this evening :-/

System:
    HP N54l - 4GB RAM - 64GB-SSD OMV, 2 x 1TB Seagate, 1 x 4TB WD Blue
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• Short and simple answer: Wether you like this or not, that is how its meant to be. If you like partitioning don't use the OpenMediaVault ISO but install wheezy and OpenMediaVault ontop of it.

Oh, and I guess besides the wiki and the faq, all mods combined maybe mentioned it about 1000 times now that it uses the full disk and we suggest to detacht data disk for installation.

And the installer doesnt ask for disk, to make it easier for linux newbies.

Greetings
    David

• Yeah, next time I'll read all forums before downloading so I'll know what happens when I use the iso... ;)

Got System up again; but - just to mention it... There already was someone who sad "it's not a bug - it's a feature"... And I'm not installing anything from his company anymore... ;)

(how I love such surprises? Not.)
    ;)

System:
    HP N54l - 4GB RAM - 64GB-SSD OMV, 2 x 1TB Seagate, 1 x 4TB WD Blue
    OMV 3.0.58 OMV-Extras 3

• When you say "all distros offer to choose selection of hdd/partiton" you might couldve noticed that you are way beyond that point of selection and maybe shouldve stopped installing before it was too late.

Just on a note, even in the german and english wikipedia article this note is hammered in from me...

And, if you feel that you're steipped off from your choice, feel free to request that feature on the bugtracker.

http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org

Greetings
    David

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!