OMV 5.0 + Docker - Suggestion

• Hi,

I have a suggestion.
    Bearing in mind how the Docker service is now popular, I think it should be delivered directly from OMV and not in OMV-Extras.
    At the moment the service is just as important to me as FTP or SMB.

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

Bearing in mind how the Docker service is now popular, I think it should be delivered directly from OMV and not in OMV-Extras.

Nice thought but Volker does not want to maintain that plugin and really shouldn't have to. Why is installing omv-extras so bad?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm not saying that installing OMV-Extras is a problem, it's the first thing I do after installing OMV :)
    It's just my thought, bearing in mind the popularity of this service.
    Personally, I think that OMV is unrivaled !!!
    OMV would be even more popular if there were more tutorials similar to Techno Dad Life

• Offizieller Beitrag

How to install Docker on OMV5.0?

I haven't finished porting docker. So, you can run it from the command line if you want but I don't see much reason to run OMV 5.x yet.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am particularly interested in OMV5 because (Debian 10) it will support my intel i5-8600k processor.

OMV 4.x uses the backports 4.19 kernel by default and this is the exact same kernel that OMV 5/Debian 10 uses.

• Hello folk,
    I also favor OMV 5 because the release will come soon. I don't want to go to OMV 4 anymore.
    I have bought another better computer as a replacement for the old with OMV 2.x which is no longer supported. On the new one running (still without data disks) experimentally OMV 5. Docker Cockpit and Portainer I can start in the browser and log in. I need cups because later several printers are connected to the server. I have no idea how to get OMV / Docker / Cups connected and configure. Is there an instruction or will there be a manual later?

OMV 5.x

komm wir essen Opa --------- Satzzeichen retten Leben !

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have no idea how to get OMV / Docker / Cups connected and configure. Is there an instruction or will there be a manual later?

The idea of using Docker for OMV is that we don't have to write plugins or manuals because they already exist for docker. Sure the paths change but they would anyway.

I didn't read it but maybe this will help - https://lemariva.com/blog/2019…inter-server-using-docker

• I looked at it. That is however for the RasPi. I don't want a separate print server. I want to print via my OMV server to which the printers are connected. I can't transfer this manual to OMV. So far I have been able to add CUPS with OMV-extras at OMV2. With OMV5 that's probably only possible with Docker. Since then my problems begin: how do I load which image and what do I have to configure ... set any variables?

OMV 5.x

komm wir essen Opa --------- Satzzeichen retten Leben !

• Offizieller Beitrag

I looked at it. That is however for the RasPi. I don't want a separate print server. I want to print via my OMV server to which the printers are connected. I can't transfer this manual to OMV.

That is the benefit of Docker, it doesn't matter what system it is on. The article happens to be about an RPi but the docker and portainer parts translate perfectly to OMV.

how do I load which image and what do I have to configure ... set any variables?

You have to try. If one image doesn't work, try another. Because it is running in docker, you won't mess up the host system. Variables would depend on the container. hub.docker.com has lots of images. I don't use (or like) cups because I have network printers. So, I wouldn't be good one to help. Look for any docker cups how to on the internet.

• You have to try. If one image doesn't work, try another. Because it is running in docker, you won't mess up the host system. Variables would depend on the container. hub.docker.com has lots of images. I don't use (or like) cups because I have network printers. So, I wouldn't be good one to help. Look for any docker cups how to on the internet.

it is my understanding that it is not a generally good idea to download docker images that it not trusted by the community, as it could packaged with some unwanted software???

• Offizieller Beitrag

it is my understanding that it is not a generally good idea to download docker images that it not trusted by the community, as it could packaged with some unwanted software???

Trusted by what community? If the image has thousands (or more) downloads and plenty of stars, it is probably ok. You can always look at the dockerfile to see any odd behaviors. The image also has limited access to your system (unless you give it a volume containing everything). I would say if you think about the images you try just like web sites you visit, you will be ok.

• Trusted by what community? If the image has thousands (or more) downloads and plenty of stars, it is probably ok. You can always look at the dockerfile to see any odd behaviors. The image also has limited access to your system (unless you give it a volume containing everything). I would say if you think about the images you try just like web sites you visit, you will be ok.

Oh well thank you then :)

• Hi.

Since the OMV4 would be EOL, I would like to confirm if OMV5 is "recommended" to be installed now instead of OMV4?

I am running a lot of Dockers on OMV4, so what's the best way to migrate those settings to OMV5?

I tried OMV5 and found that Docker management graphical UI is not integrated in OMV5 admin page. I read the reason above. So is the cockpit now the only GUI for managing Docker in OMV5? Is there an alternative that I could manually install instead? Because I can't find enough configuration means by using cockpit .

Thanks!;)

• OMV 5 is released.

If you upgrade OMV 4 to OMV 5 your existing dockers should be fine. All 14 of mine carried over without any problems.

Cockpit is not the only GUI for managing dockers in OMV 5. Portainer is also an installable option.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• OMV 5 is released.

If you upgrade OMV 4 to OMV 5 your existing dockers should be fine. All 14 of mine carried over without any problems.

Cockpit is not the only GUI for managing dockers in OMV 5. Portainer is also an installable option.

Thanks a lot!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!