How do I install OMV on Ubuntu?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is incorrect Debian is really the ideal base for OMV not ubuntu

It's really a matter of opinion. I really like both OS's. I've used both at one time or another on both my NAS and Desktop/Laptops. I probably have a slight preference for *buntu's on my desktop/laptop. I really like both on my NAS.

The one thing I like about Ubuntu, is hard release dates. Debian's release date of Well, when it's done, we'll release it" has been frustrating at times. Ubuntu, you generally know within a few days when their releases are coming, and often months in advance. Though sometimes this has felt like a "ready or not" release. If you stick with Ubuntu LTS releases (which only makes sense on a server).. You pretty much know when each new release is coming, etc. Debian? Well you just can't predict that. It may release tomorrow, in August, or anytime in between or after.

Sometimes I wish OMV was based on the LTS releases of Ubuntu... but then if that happened, you'd have people upgrading to non LTS releases that would/could break OMV, adding tons of 3rd party repos from every corner of the Internet, and it would create a support nightmare. 3rd party repos have been a headache with OMV in the past.. I imagine it would be about 100x worse on Ubuntu.

All that said, I think it was probably wise on Volker's part to base OMV on Debian given the fact he is a one mans how for development.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would prefer if OMV was based on Ubuntu (LTS only!). It is definitely a good, stable server OS. It also has the option for commercial support from Canonical (very good support I might add). zfs being built into the kernel is a nice touch as well.

adding tons of 3rd party repos from every corner of the Internet, and it would create a support nightmare. 3rd party repos have been a headache with OMV in the past.. I imagine it would be about 100x worse on Ubuntu.

You can add PPAs to Debian. I think Docker helps lots of support issues since it removes the need to add other repos and contaminating the host OS.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would prefer if OMV was based on Ubuntu (LTS only!). It is definitely a good, stable server OS. It also has the option for commercial support from Canonical (very good support I might add). zfs being built into the kernel is a nice touch as well.

You can add PPAs to Debian. I think Docker helps lots of support issues since it removes the need to add other repos and contaminating the host OS.

Of course you can, but most are specific to Ubuntu so people add them way more frequently. I know you've seen the posts here where people have added Ubuntu repositories to their Debian install, then can't figure out why shit is broke.

• Offizieller Beitrag

most are specific to Ubuntu so people add them way more frequently.

I think docker reduces that desire even on Ubuntu.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!