How to get data off my RAID

• Hello first post here. I’m not a professional by any means I really just know enough to get me into trouble. So this is what happened. I had an omv server up and running on my old dell intel duo core with 2 8tb HD in a RAID 1. And you know what one day with a little power surge that 10 years old computer didn’t want to wake up any more. Tried replacing the power supply but that did nothing it was something deeper and I didn’t care to invest more time or money in to it.

For a while I’ve been wanting to us these 8tb HDs for something else (not omv) but I need the data off of them. After the omv server broke I bought a Pi 3B, installed omv, and hoped omv would detect the RAID on the discs and I could the transfer 2tb worth of data to a new disk (and use rsyc from then on).

I said hoping… after getting omv on the Pi all set up omv would not detect the RAID (the drives are now in two USB enclosers) it shows the 2 disks in the ‘DISKS’ menu and only one file for the RAID under ‘File Systems’ but I can’t mount or unmount and show nothing under ‘RAID Management.

I don’t even care about getting the RAID working again I just need the data off of one of the 8tb drives. Any help would be great. I’m not too savvy with CLI but can figure it out if told what to do.

• So the Raspi doesn't have enough power to power those external drives. You will need to use a powered USB hub. Raspi has some issues with loading the drivers late on the USB hub so you should wait until after it boots and gets network before you plug in the connector from the powered USB hub.

If that works for you then you can edit /etc/rc.local and put the following just before the exit statement:

Bash: /etc/rc.local
    sleep 30
    mount -a
    exit

I is the quizat haderach
    --
    OMV 4.x - Raspi 4 4g 4tb R1

• Offizieller Beitrag

The RAID is mmcblk0p2 I need to mount that to get the info off it.

That is OMV's boot partition not your raid. Your two raid drives are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb they are clearly shown under Storage -> Disks to confirm they are your raid drives run blkid then you'll need to create then assemble to get the raid up.

Another way to do this is to attach one drive to a Linux machine via USB and get the data off that way as it's a raid 1 the drives are identical. Another option if you only have a Windows machine is to use Ext2Fsd does this work? I have used it once to recover data from what appeared to be a failed drive on an Ubuntu install, the drive was fine, but for whatever reason Ubuntu wouldn't mount it.

• That is OMV's boot partition not your raid. Your two raid drives are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb they are clearly shown under Storage -> Disks to confirm they are your raid drives run blkid then you'll need to create then assemble to get the raid up.
    Another way to do this is to attach one drive to a Linux machine via USB and get the data off that way as it's a raid 1 the drives are identical. Another option if you only have a Windows machine is to use Ext2Fsd does this work? I have used it once to recover data from what appeared to be a failed drive on an Ubuntu install, the drive was fine, but for whatever reason Ubuntu wouldn't mount it.

It shows it does in this webpage
    https://www.howtogeek.com/1128…-partitions-from-windows/

• I’ve tried a few things and nothing seem to be working I have a Linux laptop and I can’t get it to mount to it ether. A lot of “invalid argument”. It’s not just being able to read the file format there is something else going. The screen shot is what I’ve been trying. Any ideas or help would be great.

• When my SD cards would get corrupted...I would pull them and put them in a laptop running linux...then use gparted to scan the drive for errors

I wonder if you could use a livecd linux and boot that to see if you can access the data on the drives?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a Linux laptop and I can’t get it to mount to it ether.

Is that just using one drive?

Much to my better judgement as the drives already have a raid signature on them try;
    mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sd[ab]

• Is that just using one drive?

Much to my better judgement as the drives already have a raid signature on them try;
    mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sd[ab]

I have tried that and it would give me the error of invalid argument with one or both plugged in.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have tried that and it would give me the error of invalid argument with one or both plugged in.

Then my only suggestion is have a look here your invalid arguments are simply because you haven't specified anything to mdadm hence my suggestion, once the array is assembled you would run omv-mkconf mdadm.

The only other option is to run mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=mirror --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda /dev/sdb but this should not be necessary as according to blkid the raid signatures are on the drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!