Newbie question on backing up boot device

• I

The openmediavault-backup plugin does a full disk dd now. So, it would do what your script is doing except it would compress (gzip) the dd file.

Well, my script has been running daily for more than five years. But I am going to try the openmediavault-backup for a few days just for grins. And yes I will actually test the restore.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• There is an extensive configuration file: /etc/openmediavault/config.xml

But currently it can not be used as the input to a process that performs a restoration.

As a matter of perspective, making the backup is not difficult. It is the restore that takes a bit of work.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• why ? let's hash it out !

Because it is a manual process done in the shell, not one that can be done by pressing buttons in some nice GUI.

--

• So you could use a live distro and then write the image over to the new disk?

yep

This wouldn't work for the raspberry pi, because you can't boot from usb, so for the pi you would still need to boot from sd card. So you can't use this on a pi, because you would be overwriting the disk that the would be issuing the dd commands. ???

• Offizieller Beitrag

his wouldn't work for the raspberry pi, because you can't boot from usb, so for the pi you would still need to boot from sd card. So you can't use this on a pi, because you would be overwriting the disk that the would be issuing the dd commands. ???

unless you had a usb sd card reader.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you pls summarize what process you use to make a full bootable copy of SD card, preferably without removing it from the Pi ?

I would use the fulldd option in the openmediavault-backup plugin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

could you elaborate pls?

Did you look at the backup plugin? You select a shared folder where you want the backup stored and select dd full disk from method dropdown. Then click the backup button. I was hoping that would be self-explanatory with the notes on the plugin.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

It says on the plugin that it is a compressed image, so it doesn't seem like you could boot from it.

Technically, that is true but the only way you could "boot" the image is to use qemu. If you are going to do that, you would have to extract it. If you want a boot image to be able to write to an SD card, it is fine if it is compressed. usbimager can write a compressed file to SD because it would decompress the image while writing. You could do the same with gunzip piped to dd.

• So it seems like the fastest way to reinstall would be to

1) Save the images to a USB drive

2) Pull it on system failure

3) Plug it into a windows machine

4) Take image and burn to disk with usbimager

5) Plug new disk into machine and reboot.

SO about the "Root Device" section. Any clues?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So it seems like the fastest way to reinstall would be to

Sure that would work. I don't like step 3 though :D

SO about the "Root Device" section. Any clues?

Sorry, I forgot to answer that. I wrote the plugin so I have a clue. It is for special systems that the plugin doesn't detect the root device (drive with / filesystem on it) properly. You should never need it hence the warning about advanced users.

• Did you look at the backup plugin? You select a shared folder where you want the backup stored and select dd full disk from method dropdown. Then click the backup button. I was hoping that would be self-explanatory with the notes on the plugin.

Well I have, but have not tried yet (waiting for SD cards delivery).

It's clear how to run dd backup.

What is in doubt how to take those file(s) and burn it to a new SD and make it work

BTW - when I consider a new s/w like I do now for OMV, I check if community forums active and useful.

I must give kudos to you, and thank you for your helping and answers and discussions !

• As I have said before and elsewhere, making the backup is the easy part. The harder part is performing the restore and what most users seem to be be looking for are instructions for that part.

But of course, those who have no experience in the shell are going to be at a huge disadvantage, and the forum might get bogged down with Introduction to Linux 101 questions.

OBTW, the restore can be done without using the shell. It's just a few mouse clicks in Linux Mint (or any of the other distros, even the Live CD ones) to decompress a compressed image file (if needed) and write it out to an attached disk that will become the replacement OMV system disk.

--

• As I have said before and elsewhere, making the backup is the easy part. The harder part is performing the restore and what most users seem to be be looking for are instructions for that part.

But of course, those who have no experience in the shell are going to be at a huge disadvantage, and the forum might get bogged down with Introduction to Linux 101 questions.

OBTW, the restore can be done without using the shell. It's just a few mouse clicks in Linux Mint (or any of the other distros, even the Live CD ones) to decompress a compressed image file (if needed) and write it out to an attached disk that will become the replacement OMV system disk.

I get it. I am looking for what other people are using and open for any successful details to try out and document findings afterwards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So why not do a test? Do a full dd image as ryecoaaron suggests and then use usbimager to restore the compressed file to another SD card.

If that is working, write a guide, so that others can benefit.

This forum has a guide section.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!