Upgrade failed from 3 to 4 - 3.0.99 (Erasmus)

• Cards on the table here: I've just resurrected a server that hasn't been switched on since I moved house about 3 years ago.

Trying to upgrade from 3.099 to 4 now and I uninstalled the plugins I had installed to avoid any clash

Error when upgrading

Code
    root@server:~# omv-release-upgrade
    Upgrading system to 4.0 (Arrakis) ...
    ERROR: The script '/usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/omvextrasorg' does not exist
    run-parts: /tmp/tmp.5pzwQaIwWR/pre.d/21-update-omvextrasorg exited with return code 100

Tried installing omvextras - not sure it worked it did download

tried renaming file omvextrasorg to omvextras

ran upgrade again and got thesame error

created omvextras as I read the name had changed

ran upgrade again

Now getting this error

I'm not very good at this kind of thing and realise I'm way out of depth here so appreciate any help.

• Stenyboy

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Upgrade failed from 3 to 4 - 3.099“ zu „Upgrade failed from 3 to 4 - 3.0.99 (Erasmus)“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If you have a standard configuration your OS (Debian with OMV) is installed on one drive and your data are stored on other drives.

So

1. disconnect your data drive (so you do not install on the wrong drive by mistake)
    2. install OMV on your OS drive
    3. update the system, shutdown
    4. reconnect the data drives and boot
    5. mount the filesystems on the data drives
    6. configure the rest of the system
  • Thanks Macom,

I installed it in 2013 so I think I know what drive the os is installed on.

The data drives are set up as Raid1 I think. Will that cause a problem on reinstall?

Also, can you point me in the direction of a recommended guide for doing this?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The raid should be autodetected during boot. There have been some problems in the past if ZFS filesystem was previously used on those drives. If you did not use ZFS before it should work.

There is a general guide, but not specific for a reinstallation:

New User Guide - Getting Started with Openmediavault 4 & 5

I think the only thing you need to now on top of this, is, that you can create shared folders and point them to existing folders on the RAID.

• That's great thanks for your advice.

I just tried booting with the data disks removed so I've located the os drive. Should I be concerned that the GUI doesn't work when doing this?

I think I'll spend some time reducing the data I have and backing up what's left just in case.

• I had big problems using the suggestion in post 4 above. I couldn't detect my raid array on a clean install of OMV version 5 or OMV version 4. The only way to recover the raid was to do a clean install of OMV version 3.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I couldn't detect my raid array on a clean install of OMV version 5 or OMV version 4.

Your raid probably came up as inactive or active (auto-read-only) the output of cat /proc/mdstat from the command line would have given that information, also wipefs -n /dev/sd? the ? being a drive reference would have returned information regrading drive signatures.

This is one of the downsides of using mdadm raid you have to diagnose/troubleshoot from the command line, just because it's doesn't appear in the WebUI automatically on a new install doesn't mean it's not working as expected.

• Did you ever use zfs on these drives?

no they have only ever been ext4

Your raid probably came up as inactive or active (auto-read-only) the output of cat /proc/mdstat from the command line would have given that information, also wipefs -n /dev/sd? the ? being a drive reference would have returned information regrading drive signatures.

This is one of the downsides of using mdadm raid you have to diagnose/troubleshoot from the command line, just because it's doesn't appear in the WebUI automatically on a new install doesn't mean it's not working as expected.

After a successful install i correctly connected the data drives and the system wouldn't boot. It gave the error "mdadn: no arrays found in config file or automatically". Same as discussed in this thread post #4. I have done a clean install 2 or 3 times in the past (years) and successfully reconnected my raid data drives each time , so this was unexpected and it freaked me out.

So I'm left with a clean working install of OMV3. Whats the best method to upgrade to current version?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It gave the error "mdadn: no arrays found in config file or automatically". Same as discussed in this thread post #4

I know of that thread, I can also point you to thread where I assisted someone moving from 3 to 5, that error whilst it's a PIA on the first boot does go away, so the idea is to set up OMV, date, all updates and any other configs before connecting previously used data drives be it single or raid.

• I know of that thread, I can also point you to thread where I assisted someone moving from 3 to 5, that error whilst it's a PIA on the first boot does go away, so the idea is to set up OMV, date, all updates and any other configs before connecting previously used data drives be it single or raid.

That's what i did mate. I did the install. The system started fine, I could log into the GUI etc. I shut down and restarted a few different times, when I thought I was all good I powered it down. Connected the data drives and it wouldn't boot. I tried to boot a couple of times with the same errors. If I disconnected the data drives it booted fine. I did the same thing on OMV5 & OMV4. It wasn't until I went back to 3 that the problem went away and it worked as I expected (and has in the past).

So I'm left with a clean working install of OMV3. Whats the best method to upgrade to current version?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I'm left with a clean working install of OMV3. Whats the best method to upgrade to current versio

A clean install of OMV5 but have a look at this thread, whilst this was lengthy I think some was being lost in language, but it shows it does work.

BTW what hardware are you attempting the install on.

• A clean install of OMV5 but have a look at this thread, whilst this was lengthy I think some was being lost in language, but it shows it does work.

BTW what hardware are you attempting the install on.

Thank you. I've read that thread and in that example his raid came up. My system wouldn't boot.

mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically

gave up waiting for root file system device. common problems:

- boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)

- check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)

- missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)

ALERT! /dev/sda1 does not exist dropping to shell!

then goes to busybox.

• If the above is true look here

Thanks. Yes i put the ISO image on a USB stick. Can you please help clarify the process? Following through these various threads to get a clear answer is difficult.

1) install the software with the data drives disconnected and when prompted by the installer remove the USB stick.

2) let it boot for the first time

3) setup the system with time, web passwords etc. install all available updates

4) from the CLI as root update-grub

5) shutdown and connect data drives

6) powerup / boot and all is well??

is that it?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!