Install HD-Audio Mediaplayer (Kodi) on OMV 5 system

• Hi,

I'm looking for a way to use my OMV Hardware also as Mediaplayer. Important are HD-Audio Outputs (Dolby Atmos) and i'm familiar with Kodi and also a bit with Plex. The OMV system is connected with HDMI to a HD-Audio-Receiver.

Is there any way to let run a MediaPlayer with GUI & HD-Audio on the Host / OMV system? I've seen Docker is impossible.

But can i install Kodi on the OMV with autostart, do something with a VM, Proxmox? I also read something about "emby" (never heard before).

Best Regards

Manuel

PS: Schreibt man in diesem Forum eigentlich Deutsch oder englisch?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've seen Docker is impossible.

Why?

Man kann in jeder Sprache schreiben, aber wenn man auf englisch schreibt, hast man die besten Chancen eine gute Antwort zu bekommen.

• I'm looking for a way to use my OMV Hardware also as Mediaplayer. Important are HD-Audio Outputs (Dolby Atmos) and i'm familiar with Kodi and also a bit with Plex. The OMV system is connected with HDMI to a HD-Audio-Receiver.

Not particularly suggested to run a desktop environment on OpenMediaVault. It can work but it could raise issues with the Desktop install. Been there, done that - allthough that has been years ago.

Is there any way to let run a MediaPlayer with GUI & HD-Audio on the Host / OMV system? I've seen Docker is impossible.

You can basicly use all 'guides' that are for Debian, since OpenMediaVault is based on Debian.

But can i install Kodi on the OMV with autostart,

Yes, allthough issues may arise. I had issues that the superuser in the desktop couldn't be used somehow. (On a full blown Desktop Environment, like opening menus that require root privileges.)

do something with a VM, Proxmox?

A VM won't net you much, or would require enormous configuration to passthrough the graphics card. Performance can be okay, but doesn't need to be.

I also read something about "emby" (never heard before).

Emby is a centralized Media Server for all your devices. Like using Kodi with a centralized Database, but a tad better.

Das hängt davon ab wie viele Anworten man möchte und wie fähig man sich fühlt in englisch zu schreiben. ^^

Grüße

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• Hi,

I'm looking for a way to use my OMV Hardware also as Mediaplayer. Important are HD-Audio Outputs (Dolby Atmos) and i'm familiar with Kodi and also a bit with Plex. The OMV system is connected with HDMI to a HD-Audio-Receiver.

I have kodi server running fine on my OMV on a docker, and play videos on my LG fine, but you do not want this I suppose, you want to use HDMI output on your NAS to connect it to an monitor or TV and show movies, if yes, is not possible.

Please consider to use OMV as a server and the TV as a client to see movies.

• Hi,

I've totally switched my setup. I tried a lot but finally some small part wasn't working in every setup.

After all i installed LibeELEC as OS to get Dolby Atmos and a full media player. That worked out of the box. For all other things i've used the LibreElec / Kodi Docker-Addon. Works like a charm, does not use many resources.

Thanks for your feedback & besten Dank ;)

• WastlJ

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!