Expand OMV Data Partition > No Arrays Found....

• I'm currently testing OMV after being a Xpenology user of the last 5 years.

I'm running the latest OMV inside a VM on ESXi 6.7. The OMV VM has been provisioned in a datastore on SSD with other VMs and I wanted to test the process for expanding the data drive [/dev/sda1] in case I'd like to add additional space to it at a later date rather than over provisioning and wasting space.

There doesn't seem to be an ironclad process, just recommendations for using GParted, Parted, or other methods. When it comes to partitions I like to see a GUI so I went with booting from a GParted live image. Because the unallocated space was at the end with swap partition in the middle, I removed the swap partition, then re-added a swap partition inside an extended partition to match how the partitions were originally.

When I've logged back into OMV, it boots fine, the swap partition appears fine and is still called sda5 and is 4GB in size.

However, when looking at the OMV console, there are several entries during bootup for the following - "mdadm: No arrays found in config or automatically" and then one entry for "mdadm: error opening /dev/md?*: No such file or directory".

I've tried this a couple of times with two different builds of OMV but with the same results. I've checked mdadm.conf and there's nothing in there as I've yet to add any additional drives to configure anything. So these are purely vanilla builds and the only extra is 'open-vm-tools'.

I'd rather know what this error is now and resolve it properly vs things looking ok and ignoring it only for it to cause confusion down the line if there are any issues in the future.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Or provide me with a known working process for expanding the data partition which doesn't result in any errors?

Many Thanks.

• I've never seen the "error opening".. I don't think, but the no arrays found is normal if you don't have an array (I see it every time I boot up since I don't have raid)

Thanks for your reply.

That's kind of reassuring but probably warrants further investigation.

When searching, I've found a number of forums posts in relation to OMV but I can't say I've come across any in relation to Debian.

Does that suggest an underlying issue > bug with OVM? Neither of the errors seem to be appear until I've resized the main OMV data partition despite installing this a few times.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Again the 'error opening' I don't recall ever seeing.

Install OMV then add a couple of storage drives, and you'll see the array not found message (assuming you didn't create one). You'll also see a message about quotas 'failing to load'.. it's not failing, they are disabled by default... And it's simply reporting quotas did not start. This not a bug or an error.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!