a few newby's questions

• Bonjour,

I installed omv from openmediavault_5.5.11-amd64.iso, everything went fine.

1- I saw that there is web interface which can be acceeded via a web navigator at the nas IP address. But this does not work. Is there something to install or to activate for this?

2- There is a minidlna plugin, I am interrested to have a dlna server.

a- What is the difference between the omv plugin minidlna and the debian package minidlna?

b- How canI install and activate plugins on command line (for, up to now, I can't access the web interface)

Thank you.

F.P.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I saw that there is web interface which can be acceeded via a web navigator at the nas IP address. But this does not work. Is there something to install or to activate for this

1. Nope, I have just done a clean of OMV5 using that iso, putting in http://<ip address of omv> in a browser and the login page is there.

2. Install omv-extras to install and activate plugins

• Thank you for answering.

Nope! http://<ip address of omv> does not work (and the install was "clean")

Install of omv-extras return a lot of errors and at the end the packages

lvm2

openmediavault

openmediavault-omvextrasorg

Are not installed....

BTW: why lvm2? The install of omv does not use lvm....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Install of omv-extras return a lot of errors and at the end the packages

You can install that from the cli, but if the WebUI is not working this will fail!!

A possible solution from the author of the PDF is that some repo servers are not responding and due to the holiday period will probably not be resolved until some time on Monday.

This works, I am currently restoring my data to OMV5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A possible solution from the author of the PDF is that some repo servers are not responding and due to the holiday period will probably not be resolved until some time on Monday.

Yes, but this is not an RPi installation. This is from an amd64 iso. I hope there should be no issues with repo servers ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, but this is not an RPi installation. This is from an amd64 iso. I hope there should be no issues with repo servers ;)

Duh, I know that ;) doesn't mean it won't affect other repo's, and the information provided would suggest that that might be the case. 'Cos mine worked :)

• You can install that from the cli, but if the WebUI is not working this will fail!!

This works, I am currently restoring my data to OMV5.

?? The problem I am facing seems to have not been solved since last july as you can see in this thread:

OMV 5 Extras Installation by Zoynels

• If you are not able to connect to the GUI of OMV means th1ere is something seriously wrong with the installation.

Installing of OMV-extras does not make sense in that case.

OK! But what went wrong? I downloaded openmediavault_5.5.11-amd64.iso from the official omv site.

I checked the shasum.

I run the installation without any problem.

This install seems to work correctly...

So, what else? Maybe something is wrong with the packages in the default repositories submitted by omv (file source list for apt)?

For instance: I was strugling with minidlna installed from these repositories: it cannot "see" my audio flac files. And I just discovered why: this minidlna version is not compiled with flac supports enabled!!!!

That's stupid!

Fortunately, most of my computers are fedora installed and I changed minidlnad from debian with minidlnad from fedora and now it works!

So (for today) I no more need to test the minidlna plugin.

Thank you for these answers.

F.P.

• Do you have console access to the shell? Can you login as the root user? If so run omv-firstaid and try configuring the network.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

?? The problem I am facing seems to have not been solved since last july as you can see in this thread:

OMV 5 Extras Installation by Zoynels

I find rather amusing that people need to SHOUT it's totally unnecessary and resolves nothing!!

So, what else? Maybe something is wrong with the packages in the default repositories submitted by omv (file source list for apt)

NO!!

For instance: I was strugling with minidlna installed from these repositories: it cannot "see" my audio flac files. And I just discovered why: this minidlna version is not compiled with flac supports enabled!!!!

Minidlna is supplied as a plugin once omv-extras have been installed due to the fact that your installation has failed for some reason.

• I find rather amusing that people need to SHOUT it's totally unnecessary and resolves nothing!!

NO!!

Minidlna is supplied as a plugin once omv-extras have been installed due to the fact that your installation has failed for some reason.

1- I'm not shouting! I just copy-pasted this from the forum and did not know how to reduce the size... That's all.

2- Why "NO"? If the default repositories given by the installer I got from the official omv site provide wrongly compiled software (as minidlna) why the installer itself should not be faulty somewhere?

3- "installation has failed for some reason" That's the reason I am seeking and clues to find it...

• Do you have console access to the shell? Can you login as the root user? If so run omv-firstaid and try configuring the network.

I tried omv-firstaid, trid to configure the network and failed:

Failed to connect /var/lib/openmediavault/engined.sock: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

So, what?

I check the log and could see a lot of strange messages: for instance:

déc. 27 10:15:58 bertuccio monit[16535]: 'omv-engined' start: '/bin/systemctl start openmediavault-engined'

déc. 27 10:15:58 bertuccio monit[16535]: 'omv-engined' trying to restart

déc. 27 10:15:58 bertuccio monit[16535]: 'omv-engined' process is not running

déc. 27 10:15:58 bertuccio monit[16535]: 'nginx' failed to start (exit status 0) -- no output

déc. 27 10:15:27 bertuccio monit[16535]: 'nginx' start: '/bin/systemctl start nginx'

déc. 27 10:15:27 bertuccio monit[16535]: 'nginx' trying to restart

déc. 27 10:15:27 bertuccio monit[16535]: 'nginx' process is not running

But, if I check the nginx status, I get:

root@bertuccio:~# systemctl status nginx

● nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Active: active (exited) since Sat 2020-12-26 14:55:59 CET; 19h ago

Docs: man:nginx(8)

Tasks: 0 (limit: 4915)

Memory: 0B

CGroup: /system.slice/nginx.service

déc. 26 14:55:59 bertuccio systemd[1]: Starting LSB: starts the nginx web server...

déc. 26 14:55:59 bertuccio systemd[1]: Started LSB: starts the nginx web server.

Strange, isn't it?

Or these lines:

<a lot of same before>

déc. 26 17:06:20 bertuccio collectd[575]: rrdcached plugin: Failed to connect to RRDCacheD at unix:/run/rrdcached.

déc. 26 17:06:20 bertuccio collectd[575]: rrdcached plugin: Failed to connect to RRDCacheD at unix:/run/rrdcached.

<a lot of same after>

Then suddenly these messages stopped!

F.P.

• What is the output of dpkg -l | grep openmedia?

and

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

root@bertuccio:~# dpkg -l | grep openmedia

iU openmediavault 5.5.19-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution

ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

iU openmediavault-omvextrasorg 5.4.2 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

root@bertuccio:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list

#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10 _Buster_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20200921-17:33]/ buster contrib main non-free

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10 _Buster_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20200921-17:33]/ buster contrib main non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib

deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free

deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free

# buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile'

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free

deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free

# This system was installed using small removable media

# (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom"

# entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.

# For information about how to configure apt package sources,

# see the sources.list(5) manual.

• Offizieller Beitrag

iU openmediavault 5.5.19-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution

That tells that openmediavault is installed, but not configured (installed-Unconfigured)

I would try

apt-get install openmediavault --reinstall

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, I have just installed this myself having used OMV4 and I used the iso as you have, so bear with me and I will explain how I did it, whilst this maybe a 'suck eggs' moment trust me it is not meant to be.

My server is a Proliant N54L it has been hacked and modded to accommodate a different BIOS and additional drives so it has no CD ROM. I boot my server from a USB flash drive, (always have done even when I ran Ubuntu) so to install I use and old laptop, I mean this thing's 15+ years old, connected to Ethernet, the installation to the USB is like watching paint dry :) All I have to do is to supply input where necessary, when complete as you know you are told to remove the install media and the system will start.

Now I have a login screen with a spurious IP address and IPv6 :cursing: so reboot, now I get an IP address from my router, but still IPv6 so I login to the cli and run omv-firstaid, reconfigure IPv4 and disable IPv6, reboot, this gives me a different IP address, nothing new there.

I then plug in the USB in to my server, disconnect the data drives, plug in a keyboard and an old monitor and wait for a login and check the IP address, no IP address, login, reboot, still no IP address :cursing: login run omv-firstaid :thumbup: now we're cooking.

The only difference between us is that because I am in the UK I point my sources to debian uk, if your sources are down or at capacity, data you require to complete your install is just not going to happen. This would explain why you had the unmet dependencies in your first post.

As to omv-extras this will not install until omv is complete, votdev and ryecoaaron work on a KIS principle so their work and effort makes it easier for the end user no matter how experienced.

Openmediavault -> "It does what says on the tin" :)

• That tells that openmediavault is installed, but not configured (installed-Unconfigured)

I would try

apt-get install openmediavault --reinstall

I tried this yesterday and today with the same result:

E: Internal Error, No file name for openmediavault:amd64

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!