copy from disk A to disk B (mirror mode)

• Hello guys

my nas needs some configurations to support my needs:

1) I don't want to configure raid systems but only disks with manual redundancy (copy from disk A to disk B) with appropriate services. with Windows OS Server 2011, I had set up tasks that performed this work on a certain day and time of the week. the setting was that new / modified files were created from disk A to disk B and non-existing files were deleted.

now i am using rsync as system service but i don't know if it mirrors data from A to B.

2) in my home network I have three computers (Windows 10 os). the data is all on shared folders which I back up regularly. a) I would like to check if OMV has access to these folders. b) if yes, how can I set beckup like the one mentioned in point 1?

sorry if i ask these stupid questions but i am a newbie with this os. please be patient.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't understand, you see up the job, but you don't know if it's working? Well you could check the logs . Check the size of the drive and see how it compares to the source drive (assuming you are backing up all data) or you could just use ssh to browse drive b and see how it looks compared to drive a

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. It is possible to use rsync to make one filesystem an identical copy of another. It is also possible to use rsync for other things. You need to decide what you want rsync to do, then test that. And finally check to see if it was correctly done. It is easy to make simple mistakes. You need to look at A and B and possibly compare them.. I like to use ssh and midnight commander.

2. OMV does not, typically, have access to filesystems on client (Win10) computers. But client computers may have access to filesystems on OMV. You set that up. If a client has access to a filesystem on OMV the client can use that filesystem to store a backup. Again, you set that up.

• I don't understand, you see up the job, but you don't know if it's working? Well you could check the logs . Check the size of the drive and see how it compares to the source drive (assuming you are backing up all data) or you could just use ssh to browse drive b and see how it looks compared to drive a

thank you all.

I see it working and I'm sure it works correctly. also i see the files written in the second hdd at the end of the job. my question was different: how to get backup of new or changed data. having an incremental backup is not my goal.

2. OMV does not, typically, have access to filesystems on client (Win10) computers. But client computers may have access to filesystems on OMV. You set that up. If a client has access to a filesystem on OMV the client can use that filesystem to store a backup. Again, you set that up.

I will do it

• Offizieller Beitrag

how to get backup of new or changed data. having an incremental backup is not my goal.

When you run the job again, modified and new data will be copied.

If you enabled the --delete option, data not available on A anymore will be also deleted on B

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!