Nas from salvaged material

• Code

Hello the team,

(sorry for my English)

I had the opportunity to recover this pc and these components:

Case with is6xm rev 1.0 motherboard Lenovo M91P 7034AD4:
    https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/u…-4513-4524-7034-7052-7178
    https://download.lenovo.com/ib…inkcentre_pdf/0a23284.pdf

Currently it has 12GB of ram, but I must be able to reach the 16GB that the cm supports, with strips that I must have lying around ... (and maybe even ECC, I have to sort out my stock of available strips)

2 x 3TB WD30EFRX (tested, they have no errors, but they have already worked well)
    2 x 500GB Seagate ST3500418AS (not yet tested, but haven't run much)

I told myself that I would make a nas of it, with OpenMediaVault (free and community), and then, once configured, if viable and “reliable”, why not mount it in “aerial” or “visual” (the out of the box for vertical installation against a wall)

It would be super cool to be able to use it in storage (3TB pool), and virtualization (500GB pool), the proc is an i5, and host services via Docker, manage home automation, some hosting accessible to distance (but not H24 and only for a few users), etc (your ideas?) ...
    The data that will be stored there is not critical, since it is second-hand gear, I don't know how long it will hold.

You have opinions / advice on:
    The optimal configuration in view of the material? (The OS would be installed on an SSD with USB3 adapter, to keep the 4 SATA available on the CM for the 4 disks)
    The best software archi under OMV? (vision of the 2 dedicated pools, ZFS if ECC supported?, etc)
    Achievable perfs? (Especially for virtualization)
    Electricity consumption? (The power supply is original)
    The viability of the time to be spent on this project? (apart from the pleasure of learning which is priceless)
    Others?

The approach is also to possibly demonstrate that we can "perform" by "recovering", and therefore by investing a minimum.
    (In my case to be satisfied with all these components, and only those and those that I have in stock, this PC must be close to 10 years old, but it has not been running regularly for 5 years. ..)

What would you do with all this?

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to discussing the subject.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think that is a pretty good start. It's hard to tell how many sata ports it has from looking at the specs (it appears either 3 or 4)... so I'd agree on installing OMV to a flash drive, flash-memory plugin, etc. At the very minimum that will free up a sata port for your data drives (which is way more important)

• vindivinz

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Nas, from salvaged material“ zu „Nas from salvaged material“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!