Weird issue of hard drive spin down

• Hi,

I have a weird problem with one of the hard drives spin-down (going into standby mode) in 4 minutes and 30 seconds on its own and I haven't found a way to stop that.

I'm running OMV5 on a Lenovo laptop W540. Two WD red 10TB hard drives are configured as mirror mode in ZFS. This laptop has M.2 slot and I used it for the boot drive. It has 2 SATA interfaces available, one from the original hard drive and another on the optical drive. Even though I set the same disk configuration to disable all power management on both drives. The drive that connects to the original optical drive SATA interface will always spin-down in 4 minutes and 30 seconds. The other hard drive has no problem and never spins down. I tried to swap the drive and found out the problem sticking with the physical interface (optical SATA), not with the particular hard drive.

I'd like to get help on how to prevent that hard drive from spinning down. Thanks a lot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The drive that connects to the original optical drive SATA interface will always spin-down in 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

This could be related to the port the drive is connected to more than the drive itself, usually CD connections are SATA 2.0 whereas drives are SATA 3.0, personally I never change anything in the drive properties and I don't spin down my drives.

Are you connecting the drives through some sort of extended cable, looking at the specs I can't see any reference to an M.2 slot but it does have Thunderbolt.

I like your idea though, I have been tempted to try the same, but to remove the m'board from the case and do away with the LCD display.

• My setup does save significant saving on electricity usage as I also turn off the LCD display, too. This laptop does have M.2 interface for M.2 SATA SSD (which could be also used for WAN card):

Yes, I used 2 extension cables bought from Amazon:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WFBFZY

The mod does not require removing the motherboard. I just plugged 2 extension cables into SATA ports and use the glue to prevent cables from loose. I removed the optical drive and both cables come out through bay. Two hard drives are powered by a separate power supply.

I also hate to spin down my WD Red drives but it seems I haven't found a way to stop the spinning down the drive connected to the optical drive port.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't found a way to stop the spinning down the drive connected to the optical drive port.

I think that's the problem, the port, another option might be a different type of setup instead of the ZFS Mirror, you use the drive connected to laptop's sata drive port as the main data drive. Then use the second drive connected to the optical port to run rsync, which in essence is a direct copy of the first, as this is run as a scheduled job it wouldn't matter if the optical port were to spin the drive down.

TBH you're not going to resolve this as I think it's hardware related.

• If it's hardware related, that would be bad news. I like ZFS mirror setup as it has self-correction capability. If I do as you suggested, does it mean that the corrupted data file on the main drive will be copied to backup drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

does it mean that the corrupted data file on the main drive will be copied to backup drive

Why do you believe you will get corrupted data, this can happen if there is an issue with the drive, but if you enable SMART that will monitor the state of your drives.

I have had servers at home for the last three decades using different hardware and O/S's I have never once experienced data corruption, I am just lucky, I don't think so, I just react quickly before a problem arises and take action. I have seen users on here that are using Raid that have had a drive 'drop out', the only reason it would do that is either, it's age, a continual sector error which SMART would detect, or the servo has died.

Most home users are using their NAS as a file server and or Media Centre, if you have files that are important to you then back them up elsewhere or have a second backup. Some on here use multiple SBC's such as the Odroid HC2, the data is on one it's backed up to another then the backup is backed up again.

I'm going to tag Agricola and Adoby as these guys have some 'unique' set up's

But your issue is your hardware and that is not resolvable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have no experience with ZFS. But I know it has some nice features. But no filesystem can provide protection against everything. For that you need backups.

I use rsync to create versioned snapshot style backups from one server to another. In some cases I do this more than once. I use a script for this. You could also use rsnapshot.

And in some cases I also prepare compressed archives. .zip or .7z. This is for the really important stuff. Inside the compressed archives checksums are stored, so I can easily use normal archiving tools to verify/test that the archive and the contents is correct. I check and update the compressed archives once per year. Typically during the winter holidays.

• You could temporarily boot Ubuntu (or derivate) distro, which natively support ZFS since a couple of releases and verify if it happens there as well.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Offizieller Beitrag

wmd1942 If you are concerned with silent data corruption then SnapRaid is considered to be the best solution for a home nas, but it is only recommended for large files that do not change often. It's easy to set up, but it has its limitations, especially for new users.

For most home or small business nas users, the following steps will do more to protect your data than anything else.

1. Get a UPS for your server and set up the NUT plugin to protect you from power fluctuations and outages. For the home useer data drives not properly shut down cause more data loss and corruption than anything.
    2. Set up two ext4 data drives on your main server and rsync the contents of the main drive to the backup drive using the Scheduled Jobs tab with this command rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ Detailed instructions for this is found in Getting Started-OMV5. It's also found in the Guides section of this forum, and it also includes instructions how to recover from a drive failure using this method.
    3. Set up a second server and create a second back up of your main disk on your main server, also using rsync, but this time with the Rsync plugin. An old but excellent guide for this is also found in the Guides section here.
    4. You can go one step further by setting up a second drive on your backup machine and use the Rsnapshots plugin to create versioned backups.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Just to give an update on my issue. I finally figured out the frequent spin down is due to the setting of APM level. It turns out my WD Red 10GB drive does not like the setting of "255 - Disabled". If I set the value within the range of "128 - 254", both hard drives will not spin down at all.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!