New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Nope. A VM network adapter only connects to one network. If you add more than one network adapter (yes, it is possible), you can connect to more than one network.

yeah, i ment 2 virtual network adapters for 1 VM

omv 6.0 in proxmox 7.1-10 - AMD Ryzen 1700 - 48GB DDR4 :thumbup:

• Quote from RonO I'm having problems creating a VM, creating a NoVnc container and getting the Network to start.

So basically everything. Hard to say why something isn't working without any details.

Quote from trythat The Novnc doesn't work for me everytime either, but not been able to reproduce it reliably yet, to see if it's me or code.

What does this mean? The container doesn't start or you can't connect to the VM? Using noVNC isn't the only way to connect to the VM. Any vnc viewer can connect to the VM using the vnc port. If that isn't working either, than it must be something with the created VM or your system is failing to pull the image.

Sorry, I meant Macvtap :( I'm using Remmina, and working fine.

Quote from trythat Yeah, I've got to look at the network thing, I've tried a few, but stuck with the default, but not gone further than creating a VM.
    I've got to look at the network stuff, as I want to try the VMs on my network or VLAN.

Do yourself a favor and create a macvtap network.

Yep, thats what I'm using now, and working fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just realized that there's a refresh button on the VM page, but is it possible to update page automatically or a option to set refresh say every 10 seconds?

Yes, I can have it update automatically but I didn't care for it myself. For the few times the page doesn't have the latest info, it was easier to click the refresh button.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes, I can have it update automatically but I didn't care for it myself. For the few times the page doesn't have the latest info, it was easier to click the refresh button.

Yeah, I'm getting used to pressing it. I'm just used to things like portainer updating every 5 seconds I think. Perhaps it's something that can be looked at another time, concentrate on the big things first.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Perhaps it's something that can be looked at another time, concentrate on the big things first.

It is literally a one line change. I just didn't like the refreshing. It is annoying when the list refreshes and you had something selected and were about to do an operation. The refresh unselects what you had selected. I am used to proxmox and vcenter refreshing too but having to manually refresh isn't bad for me. I have to do it in vcenter quite often as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Error message would be helpful. Did you created a snapshot for that VM?

No I have not created a Snapshot.

The Error message is kind of hard to show because it does not show any. The remove function just does nothing when clicked on.

O and by the way the add function is giving me this on a vm with efi enabled. But i believe I have mentioned this before so maybe that fix is on its way:

I am running with the kvm plugin version 5.0.10

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello I have just done some more testing and have gotten to another bug I think. When you use the Optical dropdown menu to add and remove. The remove function does not really work correctly.

It does remove it but it doesn't take effect until the VM is powered off. I need to find a way to tell libvirt to force but haven't found that yet. Remember that you aren't ejecting a disk. You are removing the device. I don't know if there is a way to eject an ISO but keep the hardware.

O and by the way the add function is giving me this on a vm with efi enabled. But i believe I have mentioned this before so maybe that fix is on its way:

It is possible I broke that. I will look at it again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I found the issue. Change the word nvram to loader on this line https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/engined/rpc/kvm.inc#L763 and restart omv-engined with monit restart omv-engined

• Thank you I appreciate the work you are doing. It is a very nice plugin. Just needs a lot of testing :) But there are also a lot of scenarios to account for.

Maybe you have not tested the remove function when the VM has two cdrom devices attached to it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just needs a lot of testing :) But there are also a lot of scenarios to account for.

Well aware. While I am testing a lot, I am more focused on adding features. And for things that people do that the plugin doesn't support, editing the xml is always possible.

Maybe you have not tested the remove function when the VM has two cdrom devices attached to it?

I did at one point. I actually had 10 optical devices attached and removed them all. I guess I can test again.

The two most important things I am working on right now are other architectures and error messages. There are lots of times the call succeeds but have an error message. libvirt is weird.

• This is absolutely great! Much better than cockpit (which i promptly got rid of). The only thing I'm having problems is interfacing with a ZFS based storage pool. Any possibility for support here?

Edit: Also being able to use <interface type="bridge"> instead of network would be great (for those of us who already run a bridge). This can already be done through editing xml which is a great feature!

• Hi ryecoaaron , Thank you so much for this i finnaly have most of this work (couldnt get noVNC to work, but wont use it so not worried) i read somewhere on here that you were trying to write a NOOB guide on how to install, hope you dont mind but here is one i worte.

Prerequisites

• Download the ISO of the OS you want to install, please this ISO in a folder on your OMV server for example mine are placed in a folder call “VM ISO” which in in my documents folder.
    • You will either need to have VNC installed or Spice software https://virt-manager.org/download/ to access your VM (noVNC is also available)

Enabling test repo in OMV

Make sure you have OMV-Extras installed on system, Go to OMV-Extras and toggle testing repo “On”

Then go to Plugins in OMV and search for “KVM”

Tick the box on the left and click on “Install”

Creating a Bridge Network

Click on “KVM” in the OMVwebGUI then go to “Networks” across the top, then click on “Add Macvtap Bridge”. In the name box type “Bridge” and then in the “Network adapter” dropdown select your network adapter (if unsure click on “Cancel” from the left click on “network” under system, then click on “Interfaces” and under “Device” will be the name of your network adapter.

Setting up VM

• In the OMV WebGUI go down to Services and click on “KVM”
    • Click “Add”
    • From the top, type a name for your VM
    • Then in “OS” drop down select the type of OS It is
    • Toggle on or off if you need “UEFI”
    • In “CPUs” type the number of CPU you need
    • In “Memory” type the amount of ram you need
    • Under storage in the “Volume” dropdown select create new disk
    • In “Pool” dropdown click on default
    • In “Name” type the name you want for the storage
    • In “Size” type the amount of storage you need
    • As for “Format” and “Bus” if you need to change them and know what you are doing then change them otherwise just leave them as they are.
    • Under Optical Drive in the “Optical Disk” dropdown the ISO should appear in this list
    • Under network from the “Network” drop down click on bridge
    • Then click on “Save”
    • Your screen should look something like this

• Before starting your VM click on “Networks” from across the top, then click on the “Bridge” network and the click on “State” and then “Start”

• Now go back to “VMs” across the top, then click on you VM and then click on “State” and the Start”
    • Accessing your VM
    • When you have started your VM on the main page it should tell which ports can be used

So for spice it would be

• Spice://your.omv.ip.address:5901
    • your.omv.ip.address:5900

For VNC it would be

So for me the IP address of my OMV in 192.168.0.121

for spice it would be - spice://192.168.0.121:5901

for VNC in would be – 192.168.0.121:5900

Windows VM's - driver install

***This only needs to be done if you build a Windows VM, as you may struggle with the mouse and have network issues***

• In the KVM pluggin go to "Pools" and then click either of the name pools as i used "VM ISO" above i will use this
    • Then click on the on the download box
    • Then click on "Download virtio iso"
    • a pop up window should open and show you the progess of the download, after awhile it will error out but this should be fine just click on "close"
    • Now this is going to sound random but the location you selected "VM ISO" you need the folder before that, in my case it was "Documents"
    • A new file will be there just called "VM" with no file extenstion, click on this file and rename it to "virtio-win.iso"
    • Now move this into your ISO folder
    • No go back to VM's from across the top
    • Click on your Windows VM, then "Optical" then "Add" then click on "virtio-win.iso" from the Optical Disk drop down, then click on "save"
    • Now start you VM, once booted and logged into your VM go to "My PC" and "virtio-win.iso" should appear as an driver CD, just install as you would anyother software once done reboot your VM.

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von STUKguy ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

i read somewhere on here that you were trying to write a NOOB guide on how to install, hope you dont mind but here is one i worte.

Thanks. I hadn't started writing one. So, I'm sure your guide will help.

• Hi, i cant get the sound to work? not sure what to do? in side th VM i have turned the volume to full. i have tried on a Windows, Linux & Android VM but still no sound?

Also would it be worth adding a "Clone VM" button?

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• Hi ryecoaaron , Thank you so much for this i finnaly have most of this work (couldnt get noVNC to work, but wont use it so not worried) i read somewhere on here that you were trying to write a NOOB guide on how to install, hope you dont mind but here is one i worte.

Nice guide, should get everyone up and running quickly, perhaps it could be pinned somewhere?

• Thanks. I hadn't started writing one. So, I'm sure your guide will help.

Thanks for a great plugin ryecoaaron, with a little reading of this thread, and your guide in the 1st post, and help from STUKguy's noob guide, I've been able to get some vm's up and running.

A couple of answers to these questions, if possible.

1. Is there any path or method for converting other format vm's to the OMV KVM plugin vm format? ie VirtualBox conversion to OMV KVM plugin vm format?

2. Is there any special configuration required for getting the noVnc connection working correctly?

VNC connection via any VNC-Viewer works good. But with one caveat, on subsequent connections to the vm via VNC Connect, I was getting an error "attempting to reconnect to vnc server, RFB protocol error invalid message type 20". To fix this change Picture Quality from Automatic to High, in the properties of the connection. Then re-connect.

OMV KVM Plugin shows noVNC Docker URL is operational, clicking on the url opens a browser page (see noVNC Browser page picture below)

All vnc connections are closed when atempting the noVnc connection.

OMV KVM Plugin page

Portainer

noVNC Browser page

For VNC it would be

Thanks STUKguy, great noob guide, helped me heaps.

Have you had any luck with getting a noVnc connection working?

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RonO () aus folgendem Grund: Further testing and results

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!