New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

Random question let's say I have 2 PCI Nic cards is there away to assign then to a VM?

Create two macvtap networks with each one using a different NIC. Use one network when creating the VM and add the other network after.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it posible to put in or to be selected , the write do disk becomes much faster

I would have to change the plugin to write the xml (which is possible) instead of using the libvirt domain_disk_add function. I will look at it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron could you give some guidance please?

I'm setting up linuxserver/netbootxyz docker image and dnsmasq DHCP in proxy mode

I've been following this article

https://wiki.jarylchng.com/boo…-has-locked-dhcp-settings

But I noticed libvirt using dnsmasq in the processes.

Can I add another configuration to dnsmasq without effecting the KVM plugin?

The additional dnsmasq.conf is as follows

port=0

##interface=eth0 ##not used, all 3 nics wanted for netbootxyz

bind-dynamic

log-dhcp

dhcp-authoritative

dhcp-range=192.168.1.0,proxy,255.255.255.0

pxe-service=x86PC, "NETBOOT (BIOS)", "netboot.xyz.kpxe", 192.168.1.253

pxe-service=X86-64_EFI, "NETBOOT (EFI)", "netboot.xyz.efi", 192.168.1.253

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I noticed libvirt using dnsmasq in the processes.

Can I add another configuration to dnsmasq without effecting the KVM plugin?

KVM doesn't use the dnsmasq server (dnsmasq package) just the executable provided by dnsmasq-base. If you have dnsmasq running on your system, then you must have added the full dnsmasq package somehow.

That said, if you are going to run dnsmasq in docker, I would consider giving the container its own IP address with macvlan.

• If you switch to the kvm plugin, you won't have to worry about all of those virtualbox pains :)New openmediavault-kvm plugin

I followed you advice to avoid virtualbox pains
    sure virtualbox had a nice ui but it was barely working any slight change makes it crash,

anyways the kvm plugin is really nice. a bit over simplified but solid

migrated my VMs to it but faced an issue with usb hotplug as just adding the usb device from the plugin works but when its unplugged and plugged back it doesn't work in the VM.

I used a simple windows VM as a print server but the printer is not powered on all the time. so the hot plug was required.
    after some tinkering I got it working so here is how it worked.

• Create an XML file with the device info for KVM
      You can get the product ID and vendor ID from
      lsusb command

Bus 001 Device 028: ID 03f0:3d17 HP, Inc LaserJet P1005
    XML: printer.xml
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x03f0'/>
        <product id='0x3d17'/>
      </source>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </hostdev>

• Get device path from command udevadm monitor and plug or unplug the device to detect it
      Mine was "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0"

• Create udev rule file
      sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libvirt-usb.rules

and add the following
    change devpath, VM name and path to xml file to match your setup.

Code: 90-libvirt-usb.rules
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0", RUN+="/usr/bin/virsh attach-device Z0-PRINT-01 /mnt/ZFS/NVME/Data/KVM/printer.xml"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="remove", DEVPATH=="/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0", RUN+="/usr/bin/virsh detach-device Z0-PRINT-01 /mnt/ZFS/NVME/Data/KVM/printer.xml"

Notes:

• For this to work the device must be plugged or unplugged to the same USB port.
    • I used the DEVPATH in udev rule instead of vendor id and product id because that method detected only add action not both add and remove action for me.

References:

• Offizieller Beitrag

anyways the kvm plugin is really nice. a bit over simplified but solid

Simple was my goal even though I plan to use it (and I'm a VMware admin all day and have used proxmox for years). If someone needs advanced options, editing xml/using virsh/using virt-manager was the route I think they should take. What did you find too simplified?

I used a simple windows VM as a print server but the printer is not powered on all the time. so the hot plug was required.
    after some tinkering I got it working so here is how it worked.

I will look at it but parsing udevadm output and maintaining udev rules might be a bit much for the plugin.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Simple was my goal even though I plan to use it (and I'm a VMware admin all day and have used proxmox for years). If someone needs advanced options, editing xml/using virsh/using virt-manager was the route I think they should take. What did you find too simplified?

Sure simple is better OVM is mainly a NAS OS not a hypervisor, if I wanted to focus on just VMs I'd go with VMware (PS. I'm a VMware admin too ^^), I haven't tried Proxmox but I'm interested in it.

I'm just missing a VM edit page not the devices drop down menu.
    something like this

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't tried Proxmox but I'm interested in it.

I actually want to move from Proxmox (at home) to the plugin. I have no problems with proxmox but it is overkill for home needs and running docker directly on the proxmox host is not a good idea.

I'm just missing a VM edit page not the devices drop down menu.
    something like this

The Devices menu in the plugin has the most used devices from the VM edit page to allow similar functionality. Are you missing something from there? virt-manager has it all otherwise.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I actually want to move from Proxmox (at home) to the plugin. I have no problems with proxmox but it is overkill for home needs and running docker directly on the proxmox host is not a good idea.

While I'm not an expert, I wholeheartedly agree. The plugin will be an excellent solution for home and small business use.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is the KVM plugin close to being finalized as a stable release (and moved out of the testing repo)?

I wouldn't call it unstable now. I will look at putting in the regular repo but I wouldn't let its location keep you from using it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

5.0.18 is in the regular repo now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

5.1.0 is now in the repo. I switched the docker noVNC web console to a native noVNC install that uses websockify. I was also able to add a native spice-html5 console using websockify too. Hopefully this eliminates the docker dependency and access issues.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just did the following to test converting a proxmox test system with one VM to OMV + kvm plugin.

• removed the primary proxmox packages
    • ran the install script to install omv
    • installed the kvm plugin
    • added pool for the directory where the VMs had there VM images on proxmox
    • added network
    • created VM
    • started it and it just worked : )

I didn't try a Windows VM but I was very happy with the test. Still debating on doing a fresh install of OMV instead of trying to convert a proxmox system.

• Hi, i didnt checked it for some time, the VM, but the noVNC link dissapeard:

the docker container for the VM is running, so I dont know what could happen.. any advice what to check? thx

omv 6.0 in proxmox 7.1-10 - AMD Ryzen 1700 - 48GB DDR4 :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

any advice what to check?

If you updated to 5.1.0, it doesn't use docker anymore. So, I would stop the docker manually and start a new console.

• and start a new console.

sorry for stupid question, but how and where to start the console? using what? so the noVNC column is now useless?

EDIT:

i deleted the noVNC docker container, when i click on create console, nothing happen, it asks to create noVNC on port 8081 and then html 5 on 8091, and those ports are not accessible..., in syslog no errors

omv 6.0 in proxmox 7.1-10 - AMD Ryzen 1700 - 48GB DDR4 :thumbup:

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Mio ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

orry for stupid question, but how and where to start the console? using what? so the noVNC column is now useless?

No, it is not useless. Instead of running noVNC in a docker, it is now running on the host. Everything from your perspective should be the same.

i deleted the noVNC docker container, when i click on create console, nothing happen, it asks to create noVNC on port 8081 and then html 5 on 8091, and those ports are not accessible..., in syslog no errors

But something did happen if you were asked for ports. How are you trying to access those ports? Did you click on the links in the grid? What is the output of: ps aux | grep websock

Download Tight VNC -> here .

Then it's server ipaddress:port Example 192.168.1.50:5902

That should still work but skips using the new web consoles for noVNC and spice that I added.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!