New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• cut & paste is so much easier. I don't see anything wrong there.

What is the output of:

grep -v '#' /etc/default/libvirtd

sudo /usr/sbin/libvirtd

sorry it was over the word limit...

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the cut&paste is too big, you can put it in a file and attach it. Just hard to see screenshots sometimes.

lsmod | grep kvm

dpkg -l | grep apparmor

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If the cut&paste is too big, you can put it in a file and attach it. Just hard to see screenshots sometimes.

lsmod | grep kvm

dpkg -l | grep apparmor

root@nick-nas:~# lsmod | grep kvm

kvm_amd 167936 0

kvm 1110016 1 kvm_amd

irqbypass 16384 1 kvm

ccp 106496 1 kvm_amd

root@nick-nas:~# dpkg -l | grep apparmor

ii apparmor 2.13.6-10 amd64 user-space parser utility for AppArmor

ii libapparmor1:amd64 2.13.6-10 amd64 changehat AppArmor library

root@nick-nas:~#

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think apparmor is causing this. I would try to disable it.

sudo systemctl stop apparmor

sudo systemctl start libvirtd

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

Even if you change the properties of a pool, the existing files are not changed.

ANDROD2468 chente's right. Existing file properties are not changed. Only new files will get the new properties. It's best to run that command list, against the pool, before data is added to the pool.

To get out of this problem I guess you could move the files to another storage and copy them back.

When I first ran into this issue, that's how I handled it. (At that time, I couldn't find a reference for changing file properties at the file system level.)

• ANDROD2468 chente's right. Existing file properties are not changed. Only new files will get the new properties. It's best to run that command list, against the pool, before data is added to the pool.

When I first ran into this issue, that's how I handled it. (At that time, I couldn't find a reference for changing file properties at the file system level.)

I got 2.65 TB of data in my pool of ssds so I kind of don't want to do that.... (I used ssd because the server is in my room.)

I deleted the vm folder and created a new one.

\

• The plugin is all libvirt including lxc. The lxc-* tools will not work with or detect libvirt lxc (as you have found) just like regular kvm tools won't work with libvirt kvm VMs. I did look at the regular lxc-* stuff but it was MUCH more work to get the plugin to work with them and I don't think they worked any better. Other than having less characters in the command, I didn't find them simpler.

Further to my exploration of the lxc plugin, I just encountered a little hiccup I though I should mention.

When using a VM, I have been using virt-manager to thake the virtual nic and attach it via a direct macvtap connection to a physical nic that I have connected to my LAN but not configured so that the nic acts like a switch and my VM's get a LAN IP.

LXC's don't offer this option, so I created a macvtap tetwork in the KVM plugin and attached the virtual NIC's to that. Different method to get the same LAN IP result. However, when I rebooted the system the macvtap network did not auto-start, so the lxc failed to start. I easily fixed this with virt-manager, as the network connections page has the auto start option to enable that seems to be missing from the kvm plugin network page.

This system was installed from the OMV ISO, but another system I recently installed using the debian net install and OMV script did not suffer from the same issue of the macvtap not starting.

• Offizieller Beitrag

as the network connections page has the auto start option to enable that seems to be missing from the kvm plugin network page.

The plugin sets the auto-start bit when you click the start network menu option - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/engined/rpc/kvm.inc#L346

If you created a network from the plugin and started the network with something else, the autostart bit would never get set.

• The plugin sets the auto-start bit when you click the start network menu option - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/engined/rpc/kvm.inc#L346

If you created a network from the plugin and started the network with something else, the autostart bit would never get set.

I created the network with the plugin and started it there too. I only looked at it in virt-manager after it didn't start on a reboot. I have no idea why it happened on one system and not the other but it might be worth while putting an auto-start button in the network page too, just like it is in the VM page, so that this can be manually controlled.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I created the network with the plugin and started it there too. I only looked at it in virt-manager after it didn't start on a reboot. I have no idea why it happened on one system and not the other but it might be worth while putting an auto-start button in the network page too, just like it is in the VM page, so that this can be manually controlled.

I didn't add a separate auto-start option to pools or networks because it doesn't make sense to me to create a network or pool and not have it auto-start. VMs are completely different. I don't think all VMs should auto-start.

I will try to improve the code to notify the user if the autostart is failed to be set. Adding a button because it failed once in your case is not the right path in my opinion. You can always stop the network and start it again if you don't think the auto-start is set. But if the start code is improved, that shouldn't be an issue.

• I didn't add a separate auto-start option to pools or networks because it doesn't make sense to me to create a network or pool and not have it auto-start. VMs are completely different. I don't think all VMs should auto-start.

I will try to improve the code to notify the user if the autostart is failed to be set. Adding a button because it failed once in your case is not the right path in my opinion. You can always stop the network and start it again if you don't think the auto-start is set. But if the start code is improved, that shouldn't be an issue.

Fair enough, tackle it how you want, I just though enabling manual control might be the easiest "fix" for oddities like this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Fair enough, tackle it how you want, I just though enabling manual control might be the easiest "fix" for oddities like this.

I will add it then.

• This has been covered before. The plugin doesn't run dnsmasq or even install the full dnsmasq package (just dnsmasq-base). It will spin up a dnsmasq instance that listens only on the virtual network. It is used to assign IPs to NAT VMs. This should only be a problem if you are telling pihole to listen on every network. There are plenty of ways to avoid that.

Thanks for your reply - and sorry for the delay in mine.

I do not tell pihole to listen on every interface. In fact, I try to run it in a docker container.

I have no Idea what else could start dnsmasq.

10.0.3.1 is not the IP of my host though....

Let me know, if I should start a new thread on this. I tried to purge dnsmasq, but that would have purged omv-kvm as well.

On a different matter:

I am using a bridge network. For some reason, I can access from the host (or other machines) to the VM, but I cannot access from the VM to the host (not even a ping to the host IP gets a response).

What could be the reason?

Best regards,

Hendrik

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do not tell pihole to listen on every interface. In fact, I try to run it in a docker container.

I have no Idea what else could start dnsmasq.

I have almost no info. How are you starting the container? docker-compose? If you aren't binding the container to a network or ip address, you are binding it to 0.0.0.0 which is all network interfaces. I don't have enough info to know what 10.0.3.1 is but the output of ip a would help.

I tried to purge dnsmasq, but that would have purged omv-kvm as well.

Why would you purge it after I told you it wasn't causing the problem? You could try disabling all NAT networks in the kvm plugin. It shouldn't start a dnsmasq listener on that network then.

I am using a bridge network. For some reason, I can access from the host (or other machines) to the VM, but I cannot access from the VM to the host (not even a ping to the host IP gets a response).

A bridge network defined in the plugin or a bridge network interface defined at the OMV network level? The latter should be used and is described thoroughly in the kvm guide.

• Hello everyone!

I am using OMV6 with the KVM plugin and recently ran into an issue.

I have two Windows 10 guest virtual machines and I also have two USB keys connected to the OMV host.

Both of these USB keys (AVEST AvPass) have the same PID.

Code
    root@server:~# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0451:16a8 Texas Instruments, Inc. CC2531 ZigBee
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID c1a5:0502 AVEST AvPass
    Bus 001 Device 012: ID 03f0:5d17 HP, Inc HP LaserJet P2035
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0001:0000 Fry's Electronics MEC0003
    Bus 001 Device 013: ID c1a5:0502 AVEST AvPass
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 048d:5702 Integrated Technology Express, Inc. ITE Device
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I need to permanently redirect each of the USB keys to the guest OS.

The first key works fine, but when I redirect the second key, an error appears.

XML OS1:

I understand that the error is related to the same PID, but how to resolve this?

Could you explain this to a beginner? Thank you very much!

• Offizieller Beitrag

but how to resolve this?

I don't have a good way to do it with the plugin. You can edit the xml in the plugin and do something like this - https://forums.unraid.net/topi…h-the-same-vendorproduct/

• Hi everyone!

Maybe it is a dumb question so sorry in advance!

I would like to know where can I found any logs for the plugin. I am asking because I have Home assistant OS running in it but for some time now it shuts down by itself and yesterday I was not even able to start the VM at all. Now it is running again but I cannot tell for how long. I deleted all addons in Home assistant thinking maybe those caused the problem but that random shutdown remained. I tried to check the logs under the Diagnostic tab in OMV but I could not find anything there. I thought maybe the logs of the plugin might help locate the problem.

Thank you in advance!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!