Transfer full Docker data drive to another computer?

• hi,

I'm planning to move my server ton another more powerful computer.
    After trying to clone and just plug the system drive without success (and to lazy to solve the drivers problems...), i've decided to fully reinstall Debian+xfce+OMV on the new computer with the same configuration (username and passwords..).
    Now, i'd like to move my Docker, containers and shared folders (in fact my entire DATA drive) to the new system.
    Docker folder is already on the DATA drive, not on the system drive. (following TechnoDadLife on how to move Docker folder)
    My question is:

Can i just plug the DATA drive , set the shared folders in the new OMV and point the Docker folder path in Portainer to migrate everything?
    Should i install docker first on the new OMV before and migrate (export) all the containers one by one?

My setup:
    - 250GB SSD (system drive) with Debian+xfce+OMV
    - 4To DATA drive with Docker folder, containers and shared folders (appdata, media, download...) (Docker folder is in appdata shared folder)
    - 4To DATABACKUP drive, backing up the DATA drive sharedfolders (appdatabackup, mediabackup, downloadbackup...) with OMV rsync.

(both machines are on the same network at home. the actual server is still running and using ports 80-443...etc for the moment)

Well... i'm a bit lost and don't want to mess with my data and beloved containers as it's a first time for me to migrate...:)
    So if someone could point me to the best strategy to adopt without breaking everything...

Thanks in advance ;)

• zedoc

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Transfer full Docker install drive to another computer?“ zu „Transfer full Docker data drive to another computer?“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Debian+xfce+OMV

Not a good idea as desktop environments like xfce and OMV control partly the same services and might even have dependencies to conflicting packages. Install OMV on plain Debian or use the ISO.

Why not just move also the OS disk to the new computer. Than it should just work.

If you decide for a fresh install, the mount points of the data drives might be different and have to be adjusted accordingly in Portainer for the bind mounts and volumes.

don't want to mess with my data and beloved containers

Then make sure you have backup. You need it anyway.

• Another thing to consider is the ownership of any files you are transferring between systems.

Linux uses numerical IDs to identify file and folder ownerships.

There will be no guarantee that these IDs will be the same on both systems even if the username and group name are the same.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks,

Looks like the system clone is now booting on the new computer.
    the screen was black when plugged in the new intel IGPU...But booting fine on the new Nvidia card.
    So i'll try to plug everything back to the new computer including the same ethernet card from the old one.
    And cross my fingers :)

• You might have to reconfigure the network interface. You can do that with omv-firstaid from the CLI.

Everything is running fine, i thought i would have the same MAC address as i was using the same ETH card but it was changed... Anyway, i've done the omv-firstaid and re-forward ports on my router with the same fixed local IP as before and Docker and containers are running fine! :):thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!