apt updates packages but then they show as new updates again

• Hi all,

I have a rpi3 with omv 5. Clean/new install a few months ago on a almost new SD card. Everything working fine.

A few weeks ago, I installed all packages that needed updating through the GUI. Next day they were all back and listed as updates. I updated again and noticed the installed versions and update versions were the same versions - so just updating over the current packages.

Rebooted and did the update from the cli and rebooted after but the issue persists.

Thought it might be a bad SD card but it is a good quality card and I am not seeing any error/issues with the unit.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this or should I just take the hit and try a new SD card?

• Are you sure it's actually updating, or is it showing you updates that have been held back? Read the message carefully

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• Thanks. Yes I am sure they are updating and the GUI list is cleared. Next morning they are all back.

During the actual update process, i can see packages being installed over existing packages with the same version number.

• was caused by a defect introduced with OMV version 5.6.3 and should be fixed with 5.6.7

omv 5.6.17-1 (usul) on RPi4/4GB with Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Edited once, last by mi-hol ().

• I have the same Problem since a few weeks. I'm on 5.6.6-1 OMV.

How can I fix this problem?

When I install die following Updates OMV doesn't find Updates through manuell Update-Search. After 24 h the Updates are visible again.

• Pivo0815 - so it looks like i'm not the only one with this issue. Unfortunately, I do not have a solution (yet) as this issue has happened again for me.

I took the option to buy a new SD card and have created a new/clean install of OMV using latest Raspbian lite image. Just finished the install and configuration so will monitor over the next few days and let you know if this works. If it doesn't nothing will :)

mi-hol - Thanks. I have already tried all of the suggestions on your link and not have solved the issue. Hopefully the nuclear reset/install will fix it.

• This might be related to the apt cache, two things I do, all updates are installed from OMV's update management, an email notification is sent through informing me what is available to update. Once the updates are deployed I then go to OMV-Extras and from the Updates dropdown I run apt clean, this in essence clears the apt cache.

Is this necessary, probably not, but it's a habit I have gotten into and to date it has not failed me yet, and no this is not on a Pi but the principle is the same.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

• geaves - thanks for the input. I have never had this issue before and I have multiple rpis and other SBC running OMV for the last 4+ years. So it was a very strange issue that I was spending too much time trying to resolve.

So I bought a new SD card (<$10) and setup as a new clean install. Took about 2hrs in total. Now working perfectly and issue resolved.

• OMV changelog mentions the fix

openmediavault (5.6.7-1) stable; urgency=low

* Set correct dependency order of the sub-modules apt and cronapt.
    Because of that bug it might happen that security packages are
    not auto-installed via cronapt on some systems.

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• I updated to OMV version 5.6.8-1 (Usul). But the problem remains: After some hours the system wants me to upgrade again.

• is openmediavault-omvextrasorg (5.6.1) installed?

what is the content of /etc/apt/sources.list ?

• I updated to OMV version 5.6.8-1 (Usul). But the problem remains: After some hours the system wants me to upgrade again.

Is this an RPi? What is the output of:

sudo omv-aptclean

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• is openmediavault-omvextrasorg (5.6.1) installed?

This issue has nothing to do with omv-extras.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• openmediavault-omvextrasorg 5.6.1, OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault is installed.

The content of /etc/apt/sources.list is:

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

GNU nano 3.2 /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib non-free rpi

# Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'

# deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib non-free rpi

Yes, it's a Raspberry Pi 4

The output of sudo omv-aptclean is:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!