SOLVED - - noexec still showing ???

• A while back I used this video to install Plex in OMV5. In tracing down a recent issue I am cross checking the noexec command. The video showed me exactly how to remove the command but I think it still exists in a /dev/ where it shouldn't.

1. Attachments noexec_02 and _03 show my OMV5 storage structure
    2. Using Putty I typed in the command line: cat /proc/mounts
    3. It resulted in attachment noexec_01 being displayed
    4. I see that on /dev/sdb1 that noexec is still showing when I thought it would be removed
    5. Am I looking at the right /dev/ for the right result?
    6. Or do I need to do something different than this video has instructed me to do (which I followed explicitly) ???

Thanks for helping,

Kai

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to your screenshot sdc1 has no "noexec" but sdb1 has.

As sdc1 has the label plex, maybe you wanted to remove the "noexec" only from that Filesystem.

Here is described how to remove the noexec and how to check in /etc/fstab and in /proc/mounts as you did.

https://openmediavault.readthe…/various/fs_env_vars.html

Make sure to make a backup of config.xml before you do any changes.

It is better to change "noexec" to "exec" as this will less likely results in errors during editing - just remove the "no" in front of "exec".

• Make sure to make a backup of config.xml before you do any changes.

I don't get into the guts of OMV5 very often at all. Thus, I hate like heck asking the following but have no choice: Where do I find the config.xml and what method do I use to back it up?

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ups, I forgot to add the link to the document:

Where do I find the config.xml

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml

and what method do I use to back it up?

cp /etc/openmediavault/config.xml /etc/openmediavault/config.xml.bak

• Ups, I forgot to add the link to the document:

Actually I did think something was missing. :) Also, thanks for the backup info. Now I'll see if I can make progress.

• cp /etc/openmediavault/config.xml /etc/openmediavault/config.xml.bak

So, am I supposed to copy this then right click it into PuTTY? Or, am I completely misunderstanding?

• No, you're supposed to READ the page that macom posted to see what you need to do to remove/change the noexec to exec on that file and then re-deploy it:

Zitat

In this example we remove the noexec flag. First locate the <fstab> section, in there you will find several <mntent> entries that belongs to all registered filesystems. You should be able to recognise it by the label. Once there you can remove the noexec flag, in the <opts> line.

• No, you're supposed to READ the page that macom posted to see what you need to do to remove/change the noexec to exec on that file and then re-deploy it:

I have already went to the page - and READ it - and fully understand it. Yeesh. My post questioning was referencing the backup procedure before beginning any of that which macom provided (Post #4).

• The backup procedure is just making a copy of that file that holds all the configuration of OMV.

If, by any chance you mess up something, all you need to do is revert the command and you'll have the previous state restaured (even with the same issues.

Then you can start again.

And yes, is to copy/paste the command posted above.

Antecipating further questions: you'll have to run that command as "root" or with a user with "sudo" pre-pended to the command.

Same goes with the "nano" command.

• And yes, is to copy/paste the command posted above.

Antecipating further questions: you'll have to run that command as "root" or with a user with "sudo" pre-pended to the command.

Same goes with the "nano" command.

Thank you Soma. Much appreciated. I'll give it a go.

• I guess I don't understand.

• It's "config.xml" NOT "config/XML"

Holy crap. Sorry about that, but, thanks so much, Soma. It's been a stressful day.

One last question. what is the process to recover the backup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to your screenshot sdc1 has no "noexec" but sdb1 has.

As sdc1 has the label plex, maybe you wanted to remove the "noexec" only from that Filesystem.

Before making any further modifications, did you check if you only need to remove the "noexec" from the filesystem with the label Plex? Is this where your Plex config folder are?

• Before making any further modifications, did you check if you only need to remove the "noexec" from the filesystem with the label Plex? Is this where your Plex config folder are?

What I have done is removed the Plex filesystem altogether. It was there from a previous excursion with making Plex work. In the below it can be seen that the noexec file is no longer present in the sdb1 WD4TBBlue1 ext4. I do now have the Plex config file now located within that WD4TBBlue1 ext4 filesystem. That leaves sda1 as the filesystem with noexec still existing. However, I am assuming that since the sda1 is my OMV 5 OS filesystem there is no need for the noexec's to be of concern there relative to anything Plex.

So, all that said, am I tracking correctly on everything?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your root fs is the 7th line in your first screenshot of cat /proc/mounts. It is not "noexec". Cannot be.

The other references to sda1 are related to folder2ram (flashmemory plugin). Looks all good to me.

• Your root fs is the 7th line in your first screenshot of cat /proc/mounts. It is not "noexec". Cannot be.

So, are you telling me that I need to remove the "noexec" in the securityfs line?

I still have the document you linked from yesterday for noexec removal but I don't think I'm understanding how that doc would help me remove the flag. I'm a little confused. I'm probably misconstruing things here. Kinda like spoon feeding a baby ain't it? :|

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, are you telling me that I need to remove the "noexec" in the securityfs line?

No.

Everything looks fine to me.

Line 7 is the one which starts with

/dev/sda1 / ext4 .....

the "/" in the middle indicates, that this is your root fs

• No.

Everything looks fine to me.

Just so you know - - I appreciate your and the forums patience. Finally I can move on. Thanks again

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!