Can't access data on external hd following sd card failure (or bootloader problem) following raspberry pi 4 (B) 8Gb update

• I have an OMV NAS setup on raspberry pi 4 model B 8gb. This has a 14Tb external HDD with data on it that is not backed up elsewhere.. repeat NO Backup... it was my next step to setup a RAID on this device.

After pi update (sudo apt ...) either bootloader or sd card won't work.

I've reinstalled the RPi Lite OS from RPi imager on the same SD card and re-installing OMV 5 on that card and hoping this'll be sufficient to access Web UI like before.

I hope I'm on the right path.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

_ross

• Offizieller Beitrag

After reinstalling the OS and OMV you should be able to mount the drive and use it. You can also attach the drive to any Laptop/PC that is running Linux (even from a live distro).

NO Backup... it was my next step to setup a RAID on this device.

Be aware, that RAID is NOT backup.

Creation of RAID is not supported by OMV on USB connected drives.

• Thank you very much macom. I've succeeded in mounting the external drive and observed (by viewing GB used in Web UI) that content is there. The only problem now is that I'm having access issues to the data on that drive.. i don't know if it's network refresh delay or a nomenclature issue?

When i try to access from mac, (i.e. go to server and plug in ip address) it the folders seem empty? Is it because I named the share folder differently maybe?

.. it's the same from a Win 10 pc

:(

• I've noticed that the external drive has no label under /Storage/FileSystems in the web UI.

... wondering if that may have a bearing... i've tried to add label but unable

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have to setup the configuration

• create user
    • create shared folder pointing to the existing folder on the drive (use the drop down menu to avoid typos; see picture below)
    • give the user privileges for the shared folders
    • add the shared folder to smb/cifs
    • enable smb/cifs

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've noticed that the external drive has no label under /Storage/FileSystems in the web UI.

... wondering if that may have a bearing... i've tried to add label but unable

Disk labels for ext4 partitions are no longer recognized. There's multiple threads on this. If the long paths are an issue, learn to use symlinks. For now though, it sounds like you're not pointing at the proper directory. Once you get that fixed you should get access back to your daa.

One thing for certain is you need to get the backup situation resolved. Get a drive large enough to hold your data (or preferably another 14tb if you can afford it)... learn to schedule rsync jobs to back up your "main"drive, to the "backup" drive.

• I guess I'll do a step by step here below starting with mounting drive in /storage/filesystems:

1. Verify that ext4 selected as filesystem (as it was previously setup as such); then mount drive even if no label is present. After applying, ensure that says 'yes' under mounted column.

2. go to: Access Rights Management/shared folders and then hit +add button

3. in dialog that opens up: name: PiShare device: 'device name' from drop-down list path: 'correct path name' for data already on drive ; and finally for permissions: Everyone: read/write ; then save & apply changes

4. Go to services / smb_cifs and enable under (default) general settings, then save & apply

5. Then still under services / smb_cifs go to 'share' tab and hit +add and then select shared folder created earlier in step 3. and under publice select: Only Guests .. and the hit save & apply

I've done all of this above and it still won't permit me to access contents of hard drive.

... is there an explicit step-by-step for recovering data on a hard drive? or is there something above that I'm doing wrong?

Any advise is helpful. Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really hope you didn't create a filesystem on that drive.

Look at macom picture above and the big red arrow.

Name the share, set the device, click the little folder to the right in the path... that will allow you to manually select a folder that is already on your external drive.

Your permissions can probably be left default at this point.

Click Save to save the changes.

Add the share back to SMB, and you should see your files.

• I finally got it working following the steps I listed in previous post.. thank goodness

Gracious thanks for your help.

I'd love it if there was a published 'best practice' manual for:

1. backing up for OMV on RPi

2. setting up RAID for OMV on RPi

... I know these are different but somewhat related.

Plus: Please let me know what is considered 'best practice' for updating Raspberry Pi OS which has OMV setup on it. Should I shutdown OMV on Web UI before doing sudo apt update and upgrade through putty?... or is that unnecessary?... or is there another recommended way?... I'm noob with this setup and I'd like to develop it properly.

Thanks again for all your help in this matter.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!