Can't Boot OMV Kernal 5.10.0-0

• I cannot boot from kernal 5.10.0-0. I receive "error attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0" which then throws a kernal panic.

I can boot from kernal 5.7.0-0. However, the boot process still needs to run some checks when I select this kernal.

I took a video of the issue which can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/KkjpJys_zkc

Thanks for the help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Boot into the 5.7 kernel and run the following commands:

sudo update-grub

sudo update-initramfs -u

Then try the 5.10 kernel again.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron Thank you for your help with my booting issues in the past. Unfortunately, my NAS is at it again. No matter what kernal option I choose to boot into, I still get a kernal panic. First it gives me an error "error attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0" and then it gives me more errors about "not syncing vfs, unable to mount root fs." I've created another video of my problems here: https://youtu.be/HIiHscuJiXQ

I'm not sure why I keep getting these same errors. I'm mortified to restart or update my OpenMediaVault rig for fear that I'll run into these same issues again. Thank you for your help.

• seekr the more details you share about the hardware used, the better the advise can be tailored

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• seekr the more details you share about the hardware used, the better the advise can be tailored

Here are the specs of the PC:

CPU: AMD FX-8320

Board: ASRock 970 EXTREME3

SSD: Toshiba-TR150

HDD: Western Digital WD40EFRX-68N32N0

HDD: Western Digital WD40EFRX-68N32N0

External USB HDD: Western Digital Elements 10A2

External USB HDD: Western Digital Elements 1023

I am running OpenMediaVault 5 baremetal on the SSD.

I have 2 Western Digital 4TB Red Plus in a snapraid configuration: one for data, one for parity.

I have 2 external hard drives plugged into USB: both for storing less important data.

• Why do you not have a prior kernel available to boot into?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• booting issues in the past

I failed to find posts regarding them but sounds more like a hardware issue or BIOS config issue.

Could you provide details on what has been tried already to cure them?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I failed to find posts regarding them but sounds more like a hardware issue or BIOS config issue.

Could you provide details on what has been tried already to cure them?

The past boot issues are the ones I refer to at the beginning of this post.

As far as what I've tried already, I tried running some hardware tests on my SSD. The tests say my SDD is fine. I've also tried the "Easy GNU/Linux Boot Fix" in rescatux. I have also updated the bios of my motherboard.

• That's what I was wondering. If you look at my first post in the thread, I used to have 5.7.0-0 which worked but now I don't even have that anymore. Do you have any ideas?

AFAIK there is no easy way in the OMV GUI to remove kernels, so if you didn't do this manually, something is seriously wrong with your installation.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Yes. That's the way it works on my system.

Do you see any kernels in /boot that are missing from the boot menu and kernel list in OMV?

--

• Then something removed your older kernels. This shouldn't happen.

--

• Before I used this machine as a NAS it was my primary desktop with Windows. I remember that sometimes I'd boot up the machine only to get "no operating system found." This was usually remedied by rebooting several times until it picked up on the OS. I'm reading reviews of my ASRock 970 Extreme3 board and the one of the most common complaints was that the board did not POST. Could this be the problem I'm running into?

• If it didn't POST you would never get as far as not finding an OS.

I suggest you try disconnecting your OS drive booting a Linux Live CD and see if that works reliably.

--

• Then I would say your OMV installation is somehow corrupt.

--

• I had gotten it up and running again, but last night the power went out. And low and behold, I'm stuck in the same place where I get a kernal panic on every kernal selection. However, I have since installed Clonezilla, SystemRescue, and the Grub tool and those don't boot either. Does this mean the OS drive is toast?

• I reinstalled OMV and on first boot I get a blk_update_request: I/0 error on /dev/sda which is the OS drive. I can access the OMV web interface. But does the blk_update_request: I/0 error likely mean the SSD that I'm using as my OS drive is toast?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!