HDD sudden death

• Hi all, i think on my HDD's suddenly death yesterday...

I was playing messing around some containers: mainly qbittorrent, transmission and gluetun; starting/stopping services, trying to figure out why i have a very low seed speed. (Later i found the culprit: nordvpn doesn't allows port forwarding so.... but this is another story) So i was changing ports for testing, while at a certain point it was no longer possible to deploy a container... it Says the ports are already in use, even if all other services are stopped..

I did the only thing an "experienced windows user" could have done: i restarted the machine.

Et voilà: the disk with docker installed is no longer shared, nor mounted and under disks it have a nice RED light.

(I have 3 HDD, 2 for DATA's and this one for temporary torrent download/seed and for configuration files)

Is this a sudden death?

Can i made a "harddisk-ectomy" and install docker/portainer on one of the other disks without having to reinstall OMV from zero?

Hany help appreciated...

Thanks

Message for myself: before asking a question, remember reading Guides, Wiki and forum threads....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Et voilà: the disk with docker installed is no longer shared, nor mounted and under disks it have a nice RED light.

Before choosing a path, I would try to determine the reasons for the error. I would recommend checking the disk's SMART settings. Sometimes a silly thing like a bad SATA cable can fool the NAS administrator. Maybe the disk is in good condition.

Good luck.

• Thanks, i swapped sata and power cable with no luck; i placed the disk on a sata usb box and it is definitively dead... It makes strange noises and gives all kinds of errors.

Now the problem is OMV continue to see it mounted and i don't know how to remove it: maybe is "referenced" somewhere.
    I tried to comment the entry in fstab but it doesn't works.

Message for myself: before asking a question, remember reading Guides, Wiki and forum threads....

• Thanks, i swapped sata and power cable with no luck; i placed the disk on a sata usb box and it is definitively dead... It makes strange noises and gives all kinds of errors.

Now the problem is OMV continue to see it mounted and i don't know how to remove it: maybe is "referenced" somewhere.
    I tried to comment the entry in fstab but it doesn't works.

Did you enable shared folders or SMB on the drive? Once you delete everything, you will be able to remove the partition in OMV. Just need to find it is used!

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Hi, it was referenced in shared folders, resetperms plugin and it hosted the home directory.

Once removed all i was able to unmount the "ghost" disk. Installed docker on another disk et voilà. Up and running again.

Now i feel the need to learn how to backup my disk(s) easily.

There is a plugin for backup on a usb disk if i recall correctly?

• Yes, there's a USB backup plugin which I use for my own data.

If you want to backup a disk that has docker or system data, you'll probably need a more complex solution.

I use Borgbackup and borgmatic (which helps configuring borgbackup):

- borgmatic allows to run commands before backups. I use it to pause all my docker containers before the backup. Especially for databases, you'll want things stopped/paused otherwise your backup may not work

- borgbackup backs docker data up to my other drives

- once done my containers are restored.

Borgbackup supports: versioning, deduplication, history, encryption. It's super fast and efficient.

I can share more details if you're interested.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• Not quite the same, but...

HDD (WD Ironwolf 6Tb, about 18 months) is installed and shared folders made

HDD is in an external case connected via USB3.0

Busy copying data from a Windows HDD to this one

Copy lasts 5 seconds and aborts, see I/O errors on sda device

Ran Crystal Disk Info which found no errors

I'm wondering whether the transfer (copying) speed is too fast

PCs are connecter via a Gigabyte switch

• Now i have two disks, one for docker and some media i don't really care to keep forever. (But it's always a good thing to backupAnd one DATA disk with all my Life... ) It's a 2TB drive and i'd like to backup on a external USB drive i just bought.

I'll have a look at borgbackup, thanks

p.s. nice build, i love the node 304, i have my main pc built on it!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now i have two disks, one for docker and some media i don't really care to keep forever. (But it's always a good thing to backupAnd one DATA disk with all my Life... ) It's a 2TB drive and i'd like to backup on a external USB drive i just bought.

If you only want to have a copy of your data, the easiest way is to use rsync. You have it very well integrated in OMV. Synchronize the shared folders that you want with the external disk, or the destination you choose. You can configure synchronization tasks without leaving them active, you activate them manually whenever you want. Aquí tienes mucha información si quieres profundizar https://openmediavault.readthe…ckups-and-backup-strategy

If you want something more elaborate you can try duplicati in a docker. It has options to configure incremental copies, save the number of versions you decide, etc. You can also encrypt the backup if you want.

It all depends on what data you want to copy and with what options you want to do it. In my case I use a combination of both. The important data I keep in a backup versioned with duplicati. Then I send that backup regularly with an rsync job to the NAS of a relative in another house. If I am stolen or there is a fire at home, my backup will always be safe away from risk..

• Now i have two disks, one for docker and some media i don't really care to keep forever. (But it's always a good thing to backupAnd one DATA disk with all my Life... ) It's a 2TB drive and i'd like to backup on a external USB drive i just bought.

I'll have a look at borgbackup, thanks

p.s. nice build, i love the node 304, i have my main pc built on it!

If you can afford it, use an SSD for docker or general apps data. Databases, cache and thumbnails are much much faster on SSD.
    As a plus, SSD generally don't break, but this is not an excuse to not backup them :)

• I found a simple way to backup: i'm trying the plugin usbbackup in the omv repo. Plugged in my new USB3.0 Disk formatted in NTFS without the need to mount or set anything it; only set source and destination. I hope he'll do the job.

The "rsync" method you mentioned seems really good, but i'd like to have a second internal drive to use with.

• I found a simple way to backup: i'm trying the plugin usbbackup in the omv repo. Plugged in my new USB3.0 Disk formatted in NTFS without the need to mount or set anything it; only set source and destination. I hope he'll do the job.

The "rsync" method you mentioned seems really good, but i'd like to have a second internal drive to use with.

The plugin is great for a simple copy. I use it every week.
    But it's a simple mirror, not an advanced backup system.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!