OMV6-Alpha and SMB shares

• I am having an issues with OMV 6\Alpha not playing right with 3 Nvidea Shields. All works great in OMV 5.

Here is what I have going on:

OMV 6 is installed on a external SSD used with a PC. A few external USB drives and an internal HDD. Server name is "NAS" (no quotes)

Everything works great on accessing shared folders from any of the other PCs on the network as Mapped drives. The PC's see the server NAS. However, they wont see shared folders via SMB though.

Next related issue. Nvidea Shields, apps like Kodi and others that can use network shared data, will not recognize them as SMB shares. The shield itself sees the NAS and mounts it. Once I tell an app to look for the server, it isn't there, however folders within it can be seen, just not via SMB.

Something odd about it, is on the shields, Kodi that was preconfigured sees and even writes to the shares, but I can't add new sources via SMB within Kodi or other apps. For example, I have an app that is a screensaver that uses your own photos. In OMV 5, you just pointed the app to the server (in my case called "NAS" (without quotes)), then selected a shared folder (on the NAS) called "Photos".

The file structure on the hard drive is as such with the first folder being Media; then everything else within that:

Media>Photos or Media>Movies>Family or Media>TV Shows>Crime, etc.

On a separate HDD, I have game roms, so the struture for it is like:

Games>Roms>Arcade or Games>Roms>Atari 5200, etc.

I can point apps to the folder called Media, but not via smb if this is making any sense???

The shields see the server (NAS), I can attempt to connect them to the network storage, it looks like it does, but don't think it is connecting correctly. BTW, just set up and connecting as guests only.

Any advice or something you can point me too that might help would be appreciated. Especially with Kodi

• Wanderer189

Hat den Titel des Themas von „OMV6-Alpha“ zu „OMV6-Alpha and SMB shares“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I installed a vm on proxmox and it seems to work on windows 7 and my ubuntu mate laptop. Kodi 18.9 OSMC seems able to browse too. Did not test much though.

Here is my share setup from /etc/samba/smb.conf.

# This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)

# WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

workgroup = WORKGROUP

server string = %h server

dns proxy = no

log level = 0

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

max log size = 1000

logging = syslog

panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

encrypt passwords = true

passdb backend = tdbsam

obey pam restrictions = no

unix password sync = no

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

pam password change = yes

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

guest account = nobody

load printers = no

disable spoolss = yes

printing = bsd

printcap name = /dev/null

unix extensions = yes

wide links = no

create mask = 0777

directory mask = 0777

use sendfile = yes

aio read size = 16384

aio write size = 16384

time server = no

wins support = no

multicast dns register = no

# Special configuration for Apple's Time Machine

fruit:aapl = yes

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[sdb] 

#just what I named the share

path = /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-8008fa9b-9c00-4719-a2d2-6ada8400286c/sdb/

guest ok = no

guest only = no

read only = no

browseable = yes

inherit acls = yes

inherit permissions = yes

ea support = no

store dos attributes = no

vfs objects =

printable = no

create mask = 0664

force create mode = 0664

directory mask = 0775

force directory mode = 0775

hide special files = yes

follow symlinks = yes

hide dot files = yes

valid users = "don"

invalid users =

read list =

write list = "don"

Make sure the user is added r/w in acl and privileges. I have set only one, don. Also make sure the "workgroup" matches.

I am in the back country for the weekend. Good luck.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wow, it has been over a year and this still doesn't work with OMV 6

Wow, for a year there have not been thousands of users complaining daily that SMB does not work for them. Maybe your setup is an edge case and needs some attention. Before you start crying here, maybe you should help to solve this problem. This should be in your sense and maybe in the sense of other users.

• Wow, no wonder why folks are going to better WORKING software options, you sure helped me change my mind to switch. You two AZZHOLES that support OMV or are suppose to be (not the software itself or the dev), I have more than one post on here with more details about the issue, this was the one I happened to post in.

I do support the awesome dev for his awesome contribution, to the rude commentors, your support comment show how ignorant your minds are and should be replaced

I would re-read donh's signature.

You're a AZZHOLE! And you were made a Mod to support the dev????? With such little INTELLIGENCE???? No wonder why so many many folks are leaving OMV. Including me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't have any android devices but this sure seems like a samba auth problem. It probably requires enable NTLM auth which should never be enabled by default or even an option in OMV because it has security problems. If this is the case, the reason it worked in OMV 5.x/Debian 10 is because samba 4.9 didn't disable it by default. OMV 6.x/Debian 11 uses samba 4.13 which is evidently disabling whatever you need. OMV should not try to re-enable something that Samba chose to disable. So, you may be disappointed with OMV and call it non-working software but it is just doing what is good for security.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!