Problem installing OMV on Debian - This system is running desktop environment!

• Hello,

I installed yesterday OMV on top of my freshly installed Debian machine and it was fine. Today, unfortunately I needed to reinstall OS and after that, with the same OS on hardware OMV throws out error:

"This system is running desktop environment! This is not supported. Exiting..."

I tried to disable desktop by - systemctl set-default multi-user. target - but this did not help.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

I search the forums and documentation, but nothing comes up that would be related to this error.

• ryecoaaron has implemented a check yesterday: https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…b6c42e6e7c22aaa097085f4e0 so you are not executing the same script as you did the other day.

Hopefully this will reduce the threads about not working OMV installs signifficantly.

The check can be cheated upone, but this needs more knowledge than the users complaining here have. :-)

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• this resolved my problem

How did you solve your problem?

omv 6.0.30-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.15 proxmox kernel | plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.0.9 | kvm 6.1.19 | mergerfs 6.1.1 | zfs 6.0.9
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Instead for usual install using -

Code
    wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/master/install | sudo bash

I took version before commit : "add check for display manager" so:

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/commit/74d35ee9dbc0be4b6c42e6e7c22aaa097085f4e0| sudo bash
  • Nissmel Do you thing ryecoaaron is doing this to annoy us?

OMV will not work properly on a desktop installation, although the display manages is not the problem. Look in the forum how many support requests are due to an installation using a desktop.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Yes I get it, but still for me it is worth a try. If it will start to malfunction then I will follow with installing it without desktop installation.

• chente

Added the Label resolved
  • Yes I get it, but still for me it is worth a try. If it will start to malfunction then I will follow with installing it without desktop installation.

What do you need that is on a desktop? In reality the webUI should handle about anything you need as the system is designed to be headless

• What do you need that is on a desktop? In reality the webUI should handle about anything you need as the system is designed to be headless

Hello, I need it as a HTPC so being able to display something is a must

• Hello, I need it as a HTPC so being able to display something is a must

I guess you need the HTPC because your TV has no apps. OMV is not designed to supply an HTPC. My advice is to connect an android stick or a raspberry to the TV, in this way you can access the services offered by the server.

You can also have it in another part of the house where it is less disturbing.

If you still prefer to use it as HTPC, I think you will have to look for other software. I know of no other solution. Maybe someone has another idea.

• I was thinking that it is possible that some docker application allows to use the video output of the PC. This would allow direct image to TV ...

Has anyone seen anything like this?

My tv have apps and so on, but I am using a high - end preamplifier that require analog audio and output from the tv have awful quality, so to battel that I set up the htpc with soudcard that can handle my demands.

I liked the idea of setting omv on this pc since I plan to keep it on all the time, but if there is some solution using docker that will not tank the performance of high quality video stream then I am willing to try it out.

• I liked the idea of setting omv on this pc since I plan to keep it on all the time, but if there is some solution using docker that will not tank the performance of high quality video stream then I am willing to try it out.

I guess it's a matter of searching, there are thousands and thousands of docker containers.

If there was some way to do it, it would expand the possibilities of OMV.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!