New install fails with fclose

• Please excuse me if I am now going to ask a stupid question. New install of OMV 5.6.13 on a 120Gb ssd. Does there need to be an underlying OS on the drive or can OMV be installed on a clean disk? I am installing on a clean disk.

Install fails with a blue screen with written on the bottom: fclose: No space left on device

• Please excuse me if I am now going to ask a stupid question. New install of OMV 5.6.13 on a 120Gb ssd. Does there need to be an underlying OS on the drive or can OMV be installed on a clean disk? I am installing on a clean disk.

Install fails with a blue screen with written on the bottom: fclose: No space left on device

A 120gig SSD should be plenty. Is the drive partitioned and you attempted to install on a partition?

Need to know how you're attempting to install. Generally speaking, you download the ISO, use Etcher or some other tool to make a bootable flash drive... boot the flash drive, use flash drive to install to SSD.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• Thanks KM0201

I tried various patitioning setups. The last one I left the whole drive unallocated (Using GParted)

Downloaded iso onto Windows laptop, used rufus to burn to a 4Gig stick. md5 etc checked out OK

When I used unallocated drive the partitioner installed the following:

partition 1 of scsi 2 sda as esp

partition 2 of scsi sda as ext4

partition 3 of scsi2 sda as swap

• I went and read it again. It's still not clear to me if you can install OMV on its own or whether it needs an underlying OS

It depends on the hardware where you install it. Generally, it will be enough to download the OMV ISO and install it. If it is a raspberry or ARM systems you will need to install it on an already installed system. Sometimes you may need to do it this way on an AMD64 system for other reasons.

What is your hardware?

https://openmediavault.readthe…x/installation/index.html

• Thanks Chente

I went and read it again. It's still not clear to me if you can install OMV on its own or whether it needs an underlying OS

To directly answer your question, the answer is no. OMV is not the OS. OMV is just software. The underlying OS is Debian server. (or in the case of SBC's.. Raspbian/armbian lite)

OMV cannot be installed without Debian

• To directly answer your question, the answer is no. OMV is not the OS. OMV is just software. The underlying OS is Debian server. (or in the case of SBC's.. Raspbian/armbian lite)

OMV cannot be installed without Debian

But if we do not take your question literally: Using the original OMV iso will install the OS alongside OMV whithout you needing to do this on your own.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here and write up your solution for others.

• Nothing that I've noticed. Install runs clean, picks up an internet connection, downloads files and then crashes with the blue screen. On some installs I've seen a complaint about package manager

Perhaps this is one of the "special" cases to install debian and OMV separately. When there are hardware problems this solution can work.

Install Debian Lite (NOT desktop) and then apply the OMV install script.

• What do you mean with "blue screen". I have never seen a "blue screen" in Linux. Do you have a screen shot (take your mobile) of it?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here and write up your solution for others.

• Before doing anything you should answer Zoki's question. I did not realize that detail, but is it possible that the "blue screen" is the end of the installation and it only remains to restart ...?

To install OMV5 you need to install Debian 10. If you want OMV6 you have to install Debian 11. You have to decide what you want.

• Thanks chente , will try it

Debian Lite 7? This one : https://sourceforge.net/projects/liveisocd/ ?

No, you should use a Debian net install image, as explained in the Wiki:

installing_omv5_i386_32_bit_pc [omv-extras.org]

i386 Download

For OMV5 - Stable: Go to the Debian Buster download page, find the list under netinst CD image and download the I386 version of Debian 10, Buster.

For OMV6 - Testing: Go to the Debian download page, find and download the I386 version of Debian 11, Bullseye.

*Alternate 64-bit installation*

If doing an alternate 64-bit installation, download and use the amd64 version of either OMV5-Buster, OMV6-Bullseye. Other than this one change, the following installation process will apply.

• Nothing that I've noticed. Install runs clean, picks up an internet connection, downloads files and then crashes with the blue screen. On some installs I've seen a complaint about package manager

If it were me... I would follow the instructions for an alternative install in the user guide...

Basically..

Download and install Debian 10 netinst, and use etcher or rufus to put it on a flash drive.

https://ftp.acc.umu.se/images/…10.11.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Make sure your flash drive and the OS drive are the only drives connected, boot flash drive. When it comes time to partition, just tell the installer to "take over" the OS drive, and it will do all the partitioning for you.

When it's time to install software... Uncheck everything except openssh server and system utilities.

When you're done, boot up, log in as root. Make sure curl and sudo are installed

Code
    apt install curl sudo

Download and run the omv-extras install script and install OMV on top of Debian (easiest way to do this is over SSH as you can cut and paste it)

Code
    sudo curl -sSL https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

See if that works... At the end, you'll end up in the same place as you would have directly from the OMV installer. Sometimes the net installer for Debian can get you around problematic installs.

Edited once, last by KM0201 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!